Shop by Category | Brand | Order Tracking | Customer Care | Contact Us | Wishlist | My Account |
All
  • All Departments
  • Digital Download
Cart
 LATEST TOPICS |  FORUMS » GENERAL DISCUSSIONS » SHAW AND ITS WIRELESS MODEM...
Subject: shaw and its wireless modem
Share this:  
Author Date Posted Tools
asdf_a Oct 03, 2011 05:10 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like (1) | Top | Bottom

i just signed up with shaw.
they say their modem is wireless so i don't have to buy a wireless router.
that's good.
but the problem is, they let me use it for free for 1 year only.
after that, they are charging me $4 per month.. and if i want to buy it, i have to pay $68.
so....... what should i do??
after 1 year, i can just buy an used wireless router or something then tell shaw i don't need this wireless modem anymore so i won't have to pay additional $4 every month?

Topic URL: http://forums.ncix.com/forums/topic.php?id=2414197

Tip Posting | My Postings (538) | My Reviews (0) | View Source
Cannon Fodder Oct 03, 2011 05:15 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like (2) | Top | Bottom

Since you always need some sort of modem to get a provider's internet service, buying a wireless router to replace Shaw's wireless modem/router combo unit obviously won't work.

Tip Posting | My Postings (7037) | My Reviews (107) | View Source
Zer0 Oct 03, 2011 05:34 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Shaw doesn't charge a monthly fee for modems anymore. At least not with the SPP. What plan do you have?

As per above, you need to use Shaw's modem to get Internet access. Even if you buy your own wireless router you still need to keep the modem. Either buy it outright for $68 or pay the $4/month fee.

This message was modified by the poster at 10 03, 2011 05:38 PM

Tip Posting | My Postings (8267) | My Reviews (181) | My Profile | View Source
Cannon Fodder Oct 03, 2011 05:39 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing, i.e. the OP probably isn't on SPP, or only has Shaw for internet, in which case the charges would no doubt be different....

Tip Posting | My Postings (7037) | My Reviews (107) | View Source
Zer0 Oct 03, 2011 05:54 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like (1) | Top | Bottom

In that case just buy the modem outright for $68 if you plan on sticking with Shaw for a few years.

Tip Posting | My Postings (8267) | My Reviews (181) | My Profile | View Source
hung_h Oct 03, 2011 06:13 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like (1) | Top | Bottom

See how it goes for 1 year. Maybe by then they'll have something new and you can get that instead of what you're using now.

Tip Posting | My Postings (4336) | My Reviews (16) | View Source
{--M--} Oct 03, 2011 06:44 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Do they not hand out Motorola SB modems anymore? Maybe you could try requesting one of those instead of the combo unit.

If they give you an SMC modem, request to have it put into bridge mode (wireless and router functions disabled), as a router the SMC is a piece of junk.

Tip Posting | My Postings (9177) | My Reviews (15) | My Profile | View Source
Dot Merix Oct 03, 2011 07:27 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

The wireless modems are free if you have SPP OR are subscribed to Broadband 50 or greater.

Tip Posting | My Postings (1467) | My Reviews (24) | View Source
hornytoad Oct 04, 2011 05:20 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

after a year, tell them you're going to cancel and I'm sure they'll work something out for you

Tip Posting | My Postings (241) | My Reviews (12) | View Source
Darkline Oct 04, 2011 06:26 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Nope. All SMC and Cisco.

Tip Posting | My Postings (3884) | My Reviews (8) | View Source
Linuxwolf Oct 04, 2011 07:31 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

I just upgraded to BB 50 and there is no charge for the wireless router/modem at anytime. I was very specific in my questions with them, as I already owned a sb modem but was only docsis 2.0.
I specified I wanted a Cisco unit and that's exactly what they gave me, I belive they have dropped the SMC units, so far (3 weeks) I have had 0 issues since the upgrade.

Tip Posting | My Postings (4280) | My Reviews (26) | View Source
QuBeRT Oct 04, 2011 11:47 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Inaccurate.

With light speed, high speed, or extreme speed internet, you have the choice of going with the standard wired, modem only Motorola Surfboard 5120 which is offered as a lifetime free rental, or you can go with the wifi SMC modem/router combo. On any SPP plan or on BB50+, this is a free option, otherwise it's a $3.95/mo rental or a $68 purchase.

With the sheer number of SB5120's in the field and in stock it would be insane to suddenly discontinue a perfectly good, reliable product.

Shaw has, however, discontined the DOCSIS 3.0 Motorola's that were once available for Warp and Nitro customers a long time go. The SMC DOCSIS 3.0's were in for a while but are being phased out and the Cisco's are now the standard for any new BB50, BB100, or shortly, BB250 customer. These are lifetime free rentals for any customer on any plan *with this calibre of internet speed (edit).

This message was modified by the poster at 10 04, 2011 11:48 AM

Tip Posting | My Postings (1457) | My Reviews (36) | My Profile | View Source
Darkline Oct 04, 2011 12:06 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

One of our staff members just had a new install done when he moved last week. When the install was done they provided the cisco all in one unit, even though he told them ahead of time that he already owned a 5120 and is only signed up for extreme.

QuBeRT Oct 04, 2011 12:14 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like (1) | Top | Bottom

It was likely offered by a CSR with promotion. I provision new SB5120's every day and often sign up new customers with them as well...

Darkline Oct 04, 2011 12:33 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Nope, it was the installer who offered the modem. He even showed him his 5120, told him that he didn't need a new modem since he owned the 5120 and has his own router, and the installer hooked up the Cisco anyway. When he booked the install he told the CSR that he owned a 5120 and didn't need a modem for the new install and is only signed up for xtreme. *shrug* Said employee is looking over my shoulder as I type this so I'm not getting the details wrong.

QuBeRT Oct 04, 2011 01:39 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Haha well, installer hooked up modem/router for them does not equal Shaw isn't offering them, nor that you can't use SB5120's anymore. Tech support can make the change in about 5 minutes *(edit)over the phone if he'd like to start using his surfboard than the SMC. The DOCSIS 3 SMC's and Cisco's can be switched from modem only to modem/router combo on the fly over the phone. They're usually added on the account by default as a modem/router but they can be forced to behave as modems. This is handy for people with high end or custom router projects so as to not be double NAT'ed.

I'll clarify for OP that the wired Motorola modems with no router are also available over the counter at any Shaw retail if you decide it's not for you. Just bring in your SMC and ask for a swap, they'd be more than happy to do that for you.

This message was modified by the poster at 10 04, 2011 01:42 PM

Darkline Oct 04, 2011 02:56 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like (1) | Top | Bottom

Yepp, I know both the Cisco and SMC units can be set to bridged mode with a call, or PMing ShawSean on DSLReports and probably on Twitter as well. I told him to return it to the office here in Victoria and just have them provision his 5120 so he can use his current router.

Sorry to the OP for threadjack.

Contentname:Forums_Bottom
Call Queue
Now Serving
Closed
Avg. Response Time
Closed
Request Call Back
(Web Orders Only)

Recent Experts
1. Mr. Friendly™ (55098)
2. Greg * NCIX.com (33668)
3. Saberon (15646)
4. Spork™ (14178)
5. Chicoman (13449)
All Time Experts
1. Mr. Friendly™ (51387)
2. The Wizard (39824)
3. death_hawk™ (35144)
4. Not An Expert (26343)
5. Lance W (25246)

Your Order Company Info Memberships Services Hotlinks
Order Status
RMAs (Merchandise returns)
F.A.Q.
Contact Us / Store Locator
Careers
Terms & Conditions
Privacy Policy
NCIX Rewards
Premier Partner Reseller Program
VIP Memberships
Advantage Membership
NCIX Affiliate Program
3rd Party Affiliate Program
Super Shipping Saver Club
Express Coverage
Express RMA
Express Shipping Service
Express Exchange and Care Coverage
Gift Cards & Balance Checker
Advanced Store Price Match
Boxing Week Sale
NCIX Newsletters
NCIX Forums
Folding @ Home Team
The Banner Vault
International Sites:  Canada
Copyright© 2014 NCIX.com/Netlink Computer Inc. All rights reserved. S / Server ID:74 20141221192500  188 ms