Shop by Category | Brand | Order Tracking | Customer Care | Contact Us | Wishlist | My Account |
All
  • All Departments
  • Digital Download
Cart
 LATEST TOPICS |  FORUMS » ELECTRONICS » OFFICIAL PIVOS FAQ THREAD!!...

Pivos Aios Network Media Player 3.5IN HDD HDMI LAN SDHC USB3 UPnP P2P MKV Blu-Ray ISO Support

Pivos Aios Network Media Player 3.5IN HDD HDMI LAN SDHC USB3 UPnP P2P MKV Blu-Ray ISO Support - 64162_l.jpg
Actual product may not be exactly as shown.
Pivos Aios Network Media Player 3.5IN HDD HDMI LAN SDHC USB3 UPnP P2P MKV Blu-Ray ISO Support - 64162_l.jpg Pivos Aios Network Media Player 3.5IN HDD HDMI LAN SDHC USB3 UPnP P2P MKV Blu-Ray ISO Support - 64162_1.jpg Customer Photos (0)
Pivos Technology Group Inc.
Reg. Price: $104.99  CAD
Availability:
This Product is Not Available

This item is no longer available. Notify me if this product is available again.
Service Plan:
NCIX Express Exchange
If your product is diagnosed as defective, we will replace it with a brand new one! Learn More
None, I do not want NCIX Express Exchange
NCIX.com 2 Year Express Exchange - Only $18.99
NCIX.com 3 Year Express Exchange - Only $22.99
Avg. Rating:
Share this:
More Product Detail
E-Mail to a friend
More from Pivos Technology Group Inc.
More Media Players from Pivos Technology Group Inc.
Similar products
Print this item
Notify me

SKU:  
   Shipping Weight:   2.6 lbs
   Part #: PTGMCART35-US
Subject: Official Pivos FAQ thread!!
Share this:  
PREV   |   NEXT   1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9  
Author Date Posted Tools
Pivos S Sep 27, 2011 05:09 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like (1) | Top | Bottom

Hi NCIX users!
It's official! To collaborating our official product launch of the AIOS HD Media Center here at NCIX. We are here to answer all you questions, concerns.
If you have any questions about the product, feel free to post a thread here and we'll try to answer it for ya! or check out our forums for tips and FAQs at www.pivosforums.com.

Cheers

Pivos Support

Topic URL: http://forums.ncix.com/forums/topic.php?id=2411673

Tip Posting | My Postings (120) | My Reviews (0) | View Source
Pawtucket Sep 27, 2011 05:22 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like (1) | Top | Bottom

1. My main question and concern is: how come I can't find any screenshots of the GI or other 'unboxing' reviews other than Linus here at NCIX?

2. What chipset are you using for video decoding?

3. Does it support HD audio and 3D?

4. What makes this better than a WDTV live at $99, or a Patriot box office at $70 or a Boxee Box at $200?

This message was modified by the poster at 09 27, 2011 05:23 PM

Tip Posting | My Postings (6758) | My Reviews (38) | My Profile | View Source
Pivos_S Sep 27, 2011 09:28 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like (1) | Top | Bottom

Pawtucket,
Great questions!

1. My main question and concern is: how come I can't find any screenshots of the GI or other 'unboxing' reviews other than Linus here at NCIX?

The AIOS HD Media Center was just recently announced, and product reviews haven't really caught up with the product launch schedule. We have a number of major media review sites currently covering the product and should be available for public review soon. NCIX in this case is our exclusive product launch partner in Canada.

For screen shots, you can find it on Pivos's Website at www.pivosgroup.com or our forums at www.pivosforums.com.

2. What chipset are you using for video decoding?
The Media Center is using the new Realtek 1185 chipset. You can find its popular predecessor 1073 chipset in media player such as Patriot Box Office, Seagate Theatre, and etc. The chipset difference offers twice the performance, improved hardware, and much anticipated SDk 4.0.

3. Does it support HD audio and 3D?
The realtek 1185 chipset does support HD Audio Out. However not 3D.

4. What makes this better than a WDTV live at $99, or a Patriot box office at $70 or a Boxee Box at $200
I guess that depends on your need, how much money you'd want to spend and features you are looking for. Aside from the full range codec support, the Media Center incorporated some great features based on newly developed SDK 4.0 such as built in HTML 5.0 web browser, instant messenger, keyboard/ mouse support, wide range of media and file management, Gigabit LAN, Album Cover Mode (Movie Wall), Poster Mode(Movie Sheets) and many more. We've also added a couple hardware features such as hot plug tool-less HDD drive cage and firmware force flash (good to have if you brick your unit). WD, PBO, Boxee are all great players, but with different features sets (and price point), you can choose the right product fits your needs.

Young Man Sep 27, 2011 10:00 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like (1) | Top | Bottom

My main concern with the unit is the software. I'd really like to see a video of the unit actually being used. Hopefully Linus can do one for us.

I've tried the WDTV before, and the unit responds very slowly; About ~1 second delay for my command to actually register to the unit, as opposed to using an HTPC where everything is instant. And without keyboard and mouse support, navigating was a huge pain in the*****

1. So how responsiveness is the unit? Can I expect it to be limited by the user's remote pressing ability? (similar to how typing a word document is limited by the user's typing ability/wpm)
2. Does the interface support a (wireless) keyboard/mouse with its several USB ports?
3. Is the warranty void if opened? Ex. I want to replace the fan.

Thanks!

Tip Posting | My Postings (952) | My Reviews (3) | View Source
Pivos_S Sep 27, 2011 10:37 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like (1) | Top | Bottom

1. So how responsiveness is the unit? Can I expect it to be limited by the user's remote pressing ability? (similar to how typing a word document is limited by the user's typing ability/wpm)

I absolutely agree that slow response can be a pain. Since most embedded devices core CPU speed isn't like the new shiny Core i7 you running in your PC, so software is rather important when it controls the resource flow. The AIOS actually boots relatively fast (about 7 seconds) and the response from the remote is rather speedy. Since the launch of the product, we've already had 2 revision of the firmware updates.

2. Does the interface support a (wireless) keyboard/mouse with its several USB ports?
There is total 3 x USB 2.0 ports available for devices. You can choose to add more with USB hub if running out. Most wireless Keyboard/ mouse should be supported by simply plug into one of the USB port.

Keyboard/ Mouse combo more often meant to use with the browser rather than the actual interface. Since the UI in general is controlled with the remote. Mouse makes it easier to browse the web, personally I rarely use keyboard that much.

3. Is the warranty void if opened? Ex. I want to replace the fan.
well.... OFFICIALLY if you open the unit automatically avoids factory warranty. But we are pretty lenient on warranty policy, so I don't believe it will be a big concern. Although the fan inside is relatively quite, so I don't think it'll wake up your neighbors at night :).

Waycool Sep 27, 2011 10:43 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like (1) | Top | Bottom

Does the Pivos support multifunction remote controls? Looking at a Harmony series 650 or 700 and the Pivos as a media player in my network. The Pivos looks interesting and seems to have newer tech then other media players.

Tip Posting | My Postings (5) | My Reviews (1) | View Source
hung_h Sep 28, 2011 01:49 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like (1) | Top | Bottom

OMG i just bought a WD TV live plus and now I see this. USB 3.0 and blue ray iso support. I'm gonna go return that stupid thing. Friggen blue circle of death whenever it meets a file it doesn't support(one of which was a WMV too). Its also really slow.

I have one question. When is it gonna be available. I see it at the warehouse only. Prefer to pick it up at a store.

Tip Posting | My Postings (4329) | My Reviews (16) | View Source
werth Sep 28, 2011 07:34 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

as per the site, yes there is one USB 3.0 port

Tip Posting | My Postings (8265) | My Reviews (41) | View Source
Chicoman Sep 28, 2011 07:41 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like (1) | Top | Bottom

Delete Image. Please use this feature thoughtfully.  Report this image 

Tip Posting | My Postings (8136) | My Reviews (124) | View Source
Terren - NCIX Sep 28, 2011 07:44 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

For those looking for local storage, the HDD tray is very slick. Tool-less tray that you can just pull out from the side.

For those looking for overseas content there is a PPTV plugin as well which I believe is a first for a STB

Tip Posting | My Postings (2471) | My Reviews (0) | View Source
SE Sep 28, 2011 08:37 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like (1) | Top | Bottom

I noticed that in Linus' unboxing video he kept mentioning that he knows the people/team behind this new box and he can expect it to be great, etc...

Who is this team? From another company who made good boxes like this in the past?

Tip Posting | My Postings (862) | My Reviews (4) | View Source
Darkline Sep 28, 2011 08:37 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like (1) | Top | Bottom

Buddy of mine's been looking for something like this but was holding off due to the lack of certain codecs from other manufacturers. Once I show him this he's going to be major excited!

Tip Posting | My Postings (3842) | My Reviews (8) | View Source
Pawtucket Sep 28, 2011 09:10 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like (1) | Top | Bottom

I wish you guys well. Thanks for the answers to the questions (a nice first impression).

Good luck. A word of advice - don't do what boxee did and have a broken-ish unit right out of the gate. Give it the extra few weeks needed to iron out the glitches and you'll be surprised how many more customers you get.

I love my boxee - if not only for the auto-movie sheet feature. If you could implement that, you've got a winner.

Pivos_S Sep 28, 2011 11:09 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like (1) | Top | Bottom

"I have one question. When is it gonna be available. I see it at the warehouse only. Prefer to pick it up at a store. "

That is probably best answered by one of the NCIX reps. But my guess is should be pretty soon.

"as per the site, yes there is one USB 3.0 port"
the USB 3.0 port is a type B data port. You'd use that to connect to you computer transferring files. The rest are all USB 2.0 ports used for devices. Typical high def movie will only need about 10mb/s transfer rate, so USB 2.0 is more than adequate for this purpose.

"Who is this team? From another company who made good boxes like this in the past? "
hm... all we can say is the team behind this is the same team behind a very popular media player.

"Good luck. A word of advice - don't do what boxee did and have a broken-ish unit right out of the gate. Give it the extra few weeks needed to iron out the glitches and you'll be surprised how many more customers you get.

I love my boxee - if not only for the auto-movie sheet feature. If you could implement that, you've got a winner. "
thanks for the advise.. like all media player.. nothing rolls out the gate with a perfect 10. I think we've done pretty good getting the production out. Of course, since then we've already had 2 firmware updates. So for the ones interested of purchase, make sure check our site or forums for updates.

"For those looking for overseas content there is a PPTV plugin as well which I believe is a first for a STB"
There is actually a ton of asian movie/tv show feeds through one of the APP. You can access youku, xunlei, pps, pptv, qqlive and etc. So for some of asian customers, you'd probably get a kick out of this.

Greg * NCIX.com Sep 28, 2011 11:13 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like (1) | Top | Bottom

Agreed. They just arrived yesterday here in the warehouse, so distribution to the stores will probably start today.

Tip Posting | My Postings (23799) | My Reviews (7) | My Profile | View Source
Linuxwolf Sep 28, 2011 01:00 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like (1) | Top | Bottom

Current PC I use for streaming Netflix is dying, can this also connect to Netflix, Dont need to be able to anything else with this other then connect to my TV and watch netflix on it

Tip Posting | My Postings (4280) | My Reviews (26) | View Source
Cannon Fodder Sep 28, 2011 01:35 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like (1) | Top | Bottom

Wish this unit was available when I got our PBO, that is, assuming it sees & accesses folders/files correctly over the network, to either XP or Win7 machines.....

Tip Posting | My Postings (6995) | My Reviews (107) | View Source
Cannon Fodder Sep 28, 2011 01:40 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like (1) | Top | Bottom

Probably would've(and may still) gotten one of these units, mainly because of that feature.

Pivos_S Sep 28, 2011 02:00 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like (1) | Top | Bottom

"Current PC I use for streaming Netflix is dying, can this also connect to Netflix, Dont need to be able to anything else with this other then connect to my TV and watch netflix on it "
unfortunately.. that has yet to implemented... Although you can still stream it via other upnp software like playon.

"Wish this unit was available when I got our PBO, that is, assuming it sees & accesses folders/files correctly over the network, to either XP or Win7 machines..... "
works on our end... although you still have to deal with win 7's sharing setup, setting up homegroup and etc.

Cannon Fodder Sep 28, 2011 02:24 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like (1) | Top | Bottom

Ok, let me elaborate by what I meant by "sees & accesses folders/files correctly"..... on our PBO, I got it to network with either XP or Win7 machines, and it can see & access folders/files, but not all of them. For instance, I have several seasons of old westerns on hard drive, and via the network, the PBO could see all the folders in question, but would, for some weird reason, not see all the files in any given folder. More specifically, I have several seasons of Bonanza, some of which have 34 episodes in the folder, but the PBO can typically only see, IIRC, the 1st 28, and it's like that in many of the folders, yet if I connect that same hard drive directly to the PBO, via USB, it sees & accesses all the files. That's one thing that hopefully this Aios unit doesn't have a problem with.....

Pivos_S Sep 28, 2011 02:37 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like (1) | Top | Bottom

Foddder,
yeah i am WELL FAMILIAR with the PBO.. don't think that will be a problem for AIOS ;).

Pawtucket Sep 28, 2011 03:00 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like (1) | Top | Bottom

Hope so

This is why I gave up on my WDTV live - it slowly stopped seeing my folders. Upgraded to a boxee box and love the aggressive search and scanning features. Never missed my folders. Hope you can do the same.

As for the unit - how loud is the fan? Is it audible? One of the reasons I went with a WDTV live was that it was fanless and silent. Boxee has a fan, but it's quiet

SE Sep 28, 2011 03:03 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Hm, maybe the Pivos team came from Patriot?

Linuxwolf Sep 28, 2011 03:13 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like (1) | Top | Bottom

Thanks for the quick reply, no Netflix is a killer for me, as thats all I need a media player for.

Thanks again

SE Sep 28, 2011 03:23 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like (1) | Top | Bottom

Can Netflix be added in the future via a firmware update?

Pivos_S Sep 28, 2011 03:37 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like (1) | Top | Bottom

"yeah i am WELL FAMILIAR with the PBO"
hm...

"Can Netflix be added in the future via a firmware update"
All i can say right now is that we are working on it.. although netflix is abit slow when it comes to qualification.

Linuxwolf Sep 28, 2011 04:05 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like (1) | Top | Bottom

I know from using Linux a lot that DRM is athe main issue when it comes to netflix. They almost insist on MS Silverlight to be used, while Linux has a equvilent with Mono, it does not support DRM. So hence Linux is also shutout for this reason, not Flash, not Silverlight but DRM. Netflix will not allow any device that does not support full DRM.

Spork™ Sep 28, 2011 04:10 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

As mentioned above. Will yours work with the Logitech Harmony remotes series. Like the 300, 650, 700, 900.

Another question, which codecs does this support?

This message was modified by the poster at 09 28, 2011 04:11 PM

Tip Posting | My Postings (11525) | My Reviews (84) | My Profile | View Source
Pivos_S Sep 28, 2011 04:23 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like (1) | Top | Bottom

Yes it will work, just need to customize the buttons with AIOS remote signal. You probably won't see an AIOS profile under Harmony just yet.. but should be pretty soon.

As for Codecs.. pretty much any thing you can think of... here's a list..

File Types:
- AVI/ MKV/ TS/ TP/ TRP/ M2TS/ MPG/ MP4/ MOV/ M4V/ VOB/ ISO/ IFO/ DAT/ WMV/ ASF/ RM/ RMVB/ FLV/ SVID/ DIVX 3,4,5
- MP3/ OGG/ WMA/ WAV/ AAC/ FLAC
- HD JPEG/ BMP/ GIF/ TIF/ PNG

Audio Codec:
- MP2/ 3, OGG Vorbis, WMA, PCM LPCM, MS-ADPCM, LC-AAC, HE-AAC, COOK, RA-Lossless

Ed. Sep 28, 2011 04:25 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like (1) | Top | Bottom

God this may sound stupid, but since the device has 2 USB 2.0 ports, does the media player support the use of an external slim DVD drive or is it strictly for keyboard/mouse/usb/etc?

Tip Posting | My Postings (2370) | My Reviews (52) | View Source
PREV   |   NEXT   1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9  

NCIX Forum Messages

Please note that NCIX.com Forums is not a sales or product support board. For sales or specific product related questions, please send message to receive the fastest response.

Messages about Pivos Aios Network Media Player 3.5IN HDD HDMI LAN SDHC USB3 UPnP P2P MKV Blu-Ray ISO Support

Remote not responsive (Chris_L- Mar 07, 13, 18 Replies) Read this message
Don't buy this if you need to browse your ne (Myxlplyx- Mar 05, 13, 2 Replies) Read this message
Pivos + WD My Book (Redbeaver- Jan 29, 13, 0 Replies) Read this message
rebate issues (Robert_R- Jan 08, 13, 20 Replies) Read this message
Official Pivos FAQ thread!! (Pivos S- Oct 14, 12, 259 Replies) Read this message
AIOS remote V2 (hlouie- Sep 17, 12, 2 Replies) Read this message
Pivos Aios PPTV support? (dli21- Aug 22, 12, 2 Replies) Read this message
Pivo AIOS automatic playback capability? (Anthony_M- Aug 14, 12, 2 Replies) Read this message
3D support? (Trevor_L- Aug 03, 12, 1 Replies) Read this message
Firmware Update? (Trevor_L- Aug 02, 12, 7 Replies) Read this message
Pivos Video Playback issues (bigg3522- Jul 14, 12, 2 Replies) Read this message
Bad fan? on my Pivos aios. (DoH!- Jun 20, 12, 5 Replies) Read this message
Transferring Media Files to MediaPlayer HDD (Crazydragonclk- May 23, 12, 1 Replies) Read this message
Added Sleep Timer Yet? (Vince_F- May 10, 12, 0 Replies) Read this message
Pivos Aios Plays Wrong File When Selected!! (Phil_L- Apr 30, 12, 3 Replies) Read this message

Post a New Message  |    All Messages       Browse NCIX Forums

Forum messages are not reviewed and may not contain accurate information about a product. Message contents are opinions from customers based on their own experience with a product. We do not recommend you make puchasing decisions based on Forum messages.

Contentname:Forums_Bottom
Call Queue
Now Serving
Avg. Response Time
Estimate: 58 mins
Request Call Back
(Web Orders Only)

Recent Experts
1. Mr. Friendly™ (54796)
2. Greg * NCIX.com (33169)
3. Saberon (15256)
4. Spork™ (13981)
5. joel f (573)
All Time Experts
1. Mr. Friendly™ (51387)
2. The Wizard (39824)
3. death_hawk™ (35144)
4. Not An Expert (26343)
5. Lance W (25246)

Your Order Company Info Memberships Services Hotlinks
Order Status
RMAs (Merchandise returns)
F.A.Q.
Contact Us / Store Locator
Careers
Terms & Conditions
Privacy Policy
NCIX Rewards
Premier Partner Reseller Program
VIP Memberships
Advantage Membership
Affiliate Program
Super Shipping Saver Club
Express Coverage
Express RMA
Express Shipping Service
Express Exchange and Care Coverage
Gift Cards & Balance Checker
Advanced Store Price Match
Black Friday Sale
Boxing Week Sale
NCIX Newsletters
NCIX Forums
Folding @ Home Team
The Banner Vault
International Sites:  Canada
Get the best discount computers online for online computer shopping and discount PC computer components as well as notebook computers, laptops and Canada custom computers for the best deals on computers.
NCIX.com provides Canada the best priced computers in the country for computer components and computer parts and computer accessories with the best online computer store in Canada for your personal and business computer needs.
At NCIX you can build your own computer online as well as search for the cheapest and best video cards, computer processors and CPUs, motherboards computer memory RAM, ssd and hard drives with the fastest shipping in Canada and the US.
So for discount computers online NCIX provides the cheapest digital cameras, printers, motherboards, flash memory, PC speakers and computer electronics with the best Canadian computer and Canadian online computer shopping website in the world.

NCIX.com is powered by Intel® Xeon® Quad Core Processors
Copyright© 2014 NCIX.com/Netlink Computer Inc. All rights reserved. S / Server ID:74 20141031101443  625 ms