Shop by Category | Brand | Order Tracking | Customer Care | Contact Us | Wishlist | My Account |
All
  • All Departments
  • Digital Download
Cart
My Drafts
General Topics
  Tech News
  What's New
  NCIX.com Q&A
  Important Notices
  General Discussions
  Suggestions/Feedback
  Site Bug Reports
  PC Builder Workshop
  NCIX Gaming Community
  NCIX Tech Tips
  Linus Tech Tips
  NCIX Esther
  Manufacturer Support
  CPU Discussions
  Video Cards
  Power Supplies
  Folding @ Home
  Moderated
  Off Topic
  Overclocking
  Product Requests
  PC Modding
Software Topics
  Operating Systems
  Linux
  Freeware/Shareware
  Open Source Projects
  Driver Updates
Broadband Topics
  Shaw Cable
  Telus ADSL
  Speed Test Reports
FAQs
  NCIX FAQs
  Hardware FAQs
  Overclocking FAQs
  Other FAQs
  Software FAQs
Top Categories
  Blu-Ray Drives
  Bundle Deals
  Camcorders
  CD & DVD Drives
  Chromebook
  Computer Cases
  CPU Heatsinks
  DDR2 Desktop Memory
  DDR3 Desktop Memory
  Digital Cameras
  External Hard Drives
  Fans & Cooling
  Hard Drives
  HTPC Accessories
  Inkjet Printers
  Internet Routers
  Keyboards
  Laser Printers
  LCD Monitors
  Mice & Pointing Devices
  Mobile Phones
  Modding
  Motherboards
  Multi-Function Printers
  Network Adapters
  Network Storage NAS
  Network Switches
  PC Games
  PlayStation 3 Games
  Power Supplies
  Processors (CPUs)
  Scanners
  SD Secure Digital
  Solid State Drives - SSD
  Speakers & Audio
  UPS/Power Management
  USB Flash Drives
  Video Cards
  Water Cooling
  Webcams
  Wireless Accessories
  XBox 360
 LATEST TOPICS |  FORUMS » DRIVES » SEAGATE ST31000524AS WHAT FIRMWARE VER...

Seagate Barracuda ST31000524AS 7200.12 1TB SATA 32MB Cache 3.5IN Internal Hard Drive OEM

Seagate Barracuda ST31000524AS 7200.12 1TB SATA 32MB Cache 3.5IN Internal Hard Drive OEM
Actual product may not be exactly as shown.
Customer Photos (0)
Seagate
Reg. Price: $77.98  CAD
Special Offer:

Shuttle KD21, Network-attached storage (NAS) $119.99  SAVE$120.00 BUY TODAY! Regular $239.99 Media Network sharing made easy.

More Details  
Availability:
This Product is Not Available

This item is no longer available. Notify me if this product is available again.
$77.98
Seagate Rescue Plan:
Rescue Data Recovery Services
Cover your drive with Seagate Rescue, a great peace of mind at a small price! Learn More
None, I do not want Seagate Rescue
Seagate Rescue 2 Year Plan for Internal Hard Drives - Only $39.99
Seagate Rescue 3 Year Plan for Internal Hard Drives - Only $49.99
Service Plan:
NCIX Express Exchange
If your product is diagnosed as defective, we will replace it with a brand new one! Learn More
None, I do not want NCIX Express Exchange
NCIX.com 1 Year Component Express Exchange - Only $6.99
NCIX.com 2 Year Component Express Exchange - Only $17.99
NCIX.com 3 Year Component Express Exchange - Only $27.99
Avg. Rating:
Share this:
More Product Detail
E-Mail to a friend
More from Seagate
More Hard Drives from Seagate
Similar products
Print this item
Notify me

SKU:  
   Shipping Weight:   1.4 lbs
   Part #: ST31000524AS
Subject: Seagate ST31000524AS what Firmware version does your drive have?
Share this:  
Author Date Posted Tools
DoH! Dec 16, 2011 02:55 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like (1) | Top | Bottom

Hi I have this Seagate Barracuda ST31000524AS with firmware JC45 I just started using the drive it seems to be ok and passed diagnostic testing with seatools but frankly I am afraid that it might die because of all of the bad comments I have been reading.
I have been looking up firmware updates for this drive and there are none on the seagate site but there are a couple on the dell site for this drive the most current being JC49 which can apparently be downloaded from dell (link below).
If anyone has tried using this firmware from dell on there non dell seagate drives can thy share there experiences with us and why would it not be on the seagate site are dell users the beta testers for this firmware:rolleyes:?

Dell Firmware http://www.********/support/drivers/us/en/04/DriverDetails/DriverFileFormats?DriverId=R316728
More info http://forums.techarena.in/hardware-peripherals/1443694.htm

This message was modified by the poster at 12 16, 2011 03:02 PM

Topic URL: http://forums.ncix.com/forums/topic.php?id=2449077

Tip Posting | My Postings (161) | My Reviews (0) | View Source
Lsi Dec 16, 2011 04:59 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like (1) | Top | Bottom

It doesn't work on non-Dell Seagate drives based on my attempts to do. My drives from ncix have arrived with firmwares JC45, JC47 and JC4B.

This message was modified by the poster at 12 17, 2011 02:39 AM

Tip Posting | My Postings (2309) | My Reviews (41) | My Profile | View Source
gromacs Dec 16, 2011 05:30 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like (1) | Top | Bottom

I was just learning about fallacies in English class!

I've been using mine for at least a year, going very strong. I find it snappier than my WD black's for Windows, so I installed windows on this and my games on a Black and my apps on another Black, great for multitasking! You made an excellent choice with this drive ;)

Tip Posting | My Postings (2601) | My Reviews (44) | View Source
DoH! Dec 18, 2011 08:23 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like (1) | Top | Bottom

On the link I posted it seems they had to extract certain files from the dell firmware to get it working did you try all of that? i don't think i will try to get the dell firmware to work on this drive because it will probably void my warranty but it still leaves me wondering why seagate has not released a firmware if there's 2 different updated versions.
I read your other post LSI did you contact seagate directly through email and ask for a firmware update? If not I think that i will to see what they say maybe they release it to people they think have the skills to flash the drive . The empty drive gets 119/115 R/W on crystal disk mark which isn't too bad I have another drive coming for my friends PC hopefully they don't develop the stuttering/dieing i have heard allot of complaints about .

This message was modified by the poster at 12 18, 2011 08:24 AM

This message was modified by the poster at 12 18, 2011 08:25 AM

Lsi Dec 18, 2011 03:29 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like (1) | Top | Bottom

Yes I contacted them more than once via email, requesting any updater for the newer versions to match up a RAID-1 pair but they wouldn't provide anything. Between not providing firmware updates much anymore, their marginal ability to work properly in simple RAID-1's and their newer shorter warranties that have been announced I'm significantly less motivated to use them these days.

Tip Posting | My Postings (2309) | My Reviews (41) | My Profile | View Source
DoH! Dec 19, 2011 02:27 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like (1) | Top | Bottom

I would tend to agree with you LSI the quality has went downhill since acquiring Maxtor which was a good company until the end when seagate bought them then seagate seemed to go down the tubes as well. Seagate used to be really rock solid drives and I have had many more seagate failures than other brand names since they bought maxtor and i have bought enough drives in the past to be able to say the quality has suffered. There is more than one model plagued with problems that firmware is suppose to fix unfortunately the drive is usually already dieing when the problem pops up.
The only reason i bought these is the pricing is right and with all of floods that drove the pricing sky high even though i believe they used it as an excuse to inflate pricing I will go back to another brand most likely when the pricing equalizes i don't mind paying 10-15% more for drives that you don't need to worry about.. I just hope i get 4 or 5 years out of them but i am pretty skeptical after reading about all of the problems people have been having .

NCIX Forum Messages

Please note that NCIX.com Forums is not a sales or product support board. For sales or specific product related questions, please send message to receive the fastest response.

Messages about Seagate Barracuda ST31000524AS 7200.12 1TB SATA 32MB Cache 3.5IN Internal Hard Drive OEM

WARRANTIES (Uncle- Feb 28, 13, 3 Replies) Read this message
sata vs sata 3 hdd (Pete S- Jan 09, 13, 2 Replies) Read this message
Very high failure rate (J_B- Jul 05, 12, 5 Replies) Read this message
RAID-1 use, firmware & batch variation (Lsi- Dec 11, 11, 3 Replies) Read this message
Is the HDD recommended? (formyhunny- Oct 13, 11, 1 Replies) Read this message
General firmware updates (lsi- Sep 18, 11, 1 Replies) Read this message
Two failures in a row (Dylan_M- Sep 18, 11, 4 Replies) Read this message
Seems to have some issues (Tian_Y- Jul 26, 11, 5 Replies) Read this message
Jumper (evildead- Jun 23, 11, 1 Replies) Read this message

Post a New Message  |    All Messages       Browse NCIX Forums

Forum messages are not reviewed and may not contain accurate information about a product. Message contents are opinions from customers based on their own experience with a product. We do not recommend you make puchasing decisions based on Forum messages.

Call Queue
Now Serving
Avg. Response Time
Estimate: 58 mins
Request Call Back
(Web Orders Only)

Recent Experts
1. Greg * NCIX.com (32907)
2. Saberon (14779)
3. Spork™ (13776)
4. DJZ (6961)
5. d2frm (2551)
All Time Experts
1. Mr. Friendly™ (51387)
2. The Wizard (39824)
3. death_hawk™ (35144)
4. Not An Expert (26343)
5. Lance W (25246)

Your Order Company Info Memberships Services Hotlinks
Order Status
RMAs (Merchandise returns)
F.A.Q.
Contact Us / Store Locator
Careers
Terms & Conditions
Privacy Policy
NCIX Rewards
Premier Partner Reseller Program
VIP Memberships
Advantage Membership
Affiliate Program
Super Shipping Saver Club
Express Coverage
Express RMA
Express Shipping Service
Express Exchange and Care Coverage
Gift Cards & Balance Checker
NCIX Newsletters
NCIX Forums
Folding @ Home Team
The Banner Vault
International Sites:  Canada
Get the best discount computers online for online computer shopping and discount PC computer components as well as notebook computers, laptops and Canada custom computers for the best deals on computers.
NCIX.com provides Canada the best priced computers in the country for computer components and computer parts and computer accessories with the best online computer store in Canada for your personal and business computer needs.
At NCIX you can build your own computer online as well as search for the cheapest and best video cards, computer processors and CPUs, motherboards computer memory RAM, ssd and hard drives with the fastest shipping in Canada and the US.
So for discount computers online NCIX provides the cheapest digital cameras, printers, motherboards, flash memory, PC speakers and computer electronics with the best Canadian computer and Canadian online computer shopping website in the world.

NCIX.com is powered by Intel® Xeon® Quad Core Processors
Copyright© 2014 NCIX.com/Netlink Computer Inc. All rights reserved. S / Server ID:74 20140822123702  890 ms