Shop by Category | Brand | Order Tracking | Customer Care | Contact Us | Wishlist | My Account |
All
  • All Departments
  • Digital Download
Cart
My Drafts
General Topics
  Tech News
  What's New
  NCIX.com Q&A
  Important Notices
  General Discussions
  Suggestions/Feedback
  Site Bug Reports
  PC Builder Workshop
  NCIX Gaming Community
  NCIX Tech Tips
  Linus Tech Tips
  NCIX Esther
  Manufacturer Support
  CPU Discussions
  Video Cards
  Power Supplies
  Folding @ Home
  Moderated
  Off Topic
  Overclocking
  Product Requests
  PC Modding
Software Topics
  Operating Systems
  Linux
  Freeware/Shareware
  Open Source Projects
  Driver Updates
Broadband Topics
  Shaw Cable
  Telus ADSL
  Speed Test Reports
FAQs
  NCIX FAQs
  Hardware FAQs
  Overclocking FAQs
  Other FAQs
  Software FAQs
Top Categories
  Blu-Ray Drives
  Bundle Deals
  Camcorders
  CD & DVD Drives
  Chromebook
  Computer Cases
  CPU Heatsinks
  DDR2 Desktop Memory
  DDR3 Desktop Memory
  Digital Cameras
  External Hard Drives
  Fans & Cooling
  Hard Drives
  HTPC Accessories
  Inkjet Printers
  Internet Routers
  Keyboards
  Laser Printers
  LCD Monitors
  Mice & Pointing Devices
  Mobile Phones
  Modding
  Motherboards
  Multi-Function Printers
  Network Adapters
  Network Storage NAS
  Network Switches
  PC Games
  Power Supplies
  Processors (CPUs)
  PS3 Games
  Scanners
  SD Secure Digital
  Solid State Drives - SSD
  Speakers & Audio
  UPS/Power Management
  USB Flash Drives
  Video Cards
  Water Cooling
  Webcams
  Wireless Accessories
  XBox 360
 LATEST TOPICS |  FORUMS » DRIVES » GOOD FOR ESXI?...

Western Digital WD Caviar Green 3TB SATA3 3.5IN 64MB Cache Intellipower Internal Hard Disk Drive

Western Digital WD Caviar Green 3TB SATA3 3.5in 64MB Cache Intellipower Internal Hard Disk Drive
Actual product may not be exactly as shown.
Customer Photos (0)
Western Digital WD

Express Shipping
Our Price: $119.99  CAD
Savings Code 62178-1031. SAVE $10.72 off our regular price of $130.71 if you buy today! Special price ends 7/30/2014.
Availability:
In Stock

This item is in stock and will ship as soon as possible. Usually ships in 1-2 business days.
Seagate Rescue Plan:
Rescue Data Recovery Services
Cover your drive with Seagate Rescue, a great peace of mind at a small price! Learn More
None, I do not want Seagate Rescue
Seagate Rescue 2 Year Plan for Internal Hard Drives - Only $39.99
Seagate Rescue 3 Year Plan for Internal Hard Drives - Only $49.99
Service Plan:
NCIX Express Exchange
If your product is diagnosed as defective, we will replace it with a brand new one! Learn More
None, I do not want NCIX Express Exchange
NCIX.com 1 Year Component Express Exchange - Only $10.99
NCIX.com 2 Year Component Express Exchange - Only $26.99
NCIX.com 3 Year Component Express Exchange - Only $42.99
Avg. Rating:
Share this:
More Product Detail
E-Mail to a friend
More from Western Digital WD
More Hard Drives from Western Digital WD
Similar products
Print this item
Notify me

SKU:  
   Shipping Weight:   1.4 lbs
   Part #: WD30EZRX
Subject: Good for esxi?
Share this:  
Author Date Posted Tools
Hotshot Sep 30, 2011 05:41 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Anyone use these in ESXi? Do either the "Green" of the fact its 3TB SATA give ESXi any issues?

edit: And I will even install ESXi and images on these (I do not care for speed, they are NAS and eventually pfSense)

This message was modified by the poster at 09 30, 2011 05:43 PM

Topic URL: http://forums.ncix.com/forums/topic.php?id=2413177

Tip Posting | My Postings (5494) | My Reviews (97) | View Source
William_L Sep 30, 2011 06:05 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Nah, get a BlACK or at very least blue, I would never install any os on green drive, I did it once, and it was horribly slow.

Tip Posting | My Postings (1956) | My Reviews (120) | View Source
Hotshot Sep 30, 2011 06:28 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

well im more concerned about compatibility... right now speed is not a big deal since im only doing NAS... my last ESXi install was done on a USB 2 drive.

Entz Sep 30, 2011 07:07 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Are you passing them directly to the VM or using them in the host?

I haven't used green drives (refuse to), let alone 3 TB ones. You question to look for is:
(A) Does ESXi support advanced format drives (B) Does it support 3TB drives (C) Will it require splitting up the datastores due to the 2TB limit (might only apply to iSCSI not sure)

I would strongly suggest keeping the OS drive separate from your datastore drives (i.e. use your USB 2.0 ). If updates go wrong it can wipe out the primary datastore and all the VMs in it.

Tip Posting | My Postings (3514) | My Reviews (13) | View Source
Belphegor Sep 30, 2011 07:21 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

compatibility is not a big issue with drives...

But speeds definitly is. I use 2 7200.11 in raid 0 for a test ESXi and it's pretty darn slow as soon as I have more than 1 VM running.

Tip Posting | My Postings (416) | My Reviews (6) | View Source
Hotshot Oct 01, 2011 04:19 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

I am thinking about doing both.

Quote: (Entz @ Sep 30 2011, 07:07 PM)

I would strongly suggest keeping the OS drive separate from your datastore drives (i.e. use your USB 2.0 ). If updates go wrong it can wipe out the primary datastore and all the VMs in it.

If that is the case, then wouldnt it just be worth it for me to spend $100 (only about $30 more) on a 64GB SSD and use that for my ESXi install and VM images? In other words, no point in spending $70 on a black HDD if I am only going to use like 50GB of it and never use it as a datastore...

Entz Oct 01, 2011 06:07 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

The reason I asked, is regarding pass-thru ( raw disks), I believe that as long as the system can detect the drive it would work as it is the VMs support for advanced format that matters.

No idea if you don't pass them through, but because it is based on a Linux/BSD kernel you will likely be fine.

Personally, I would use a flash drive or even go for a smaller one, like the 30gb kingston ones. You should almost never need to reboot, and you need very little space (< 4GB ).

Hotshot Oct 01, 2011 07:48 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like (1) | Top | Bottom

I am not even 100% sure what you are telling me to do...

1# Install ESXi on flash, and install OS VM's on same HDD as datastores?
2# Install ESXi on flash, and also install OS on flash?
3# Install ESXi on flash, install OS on HDD without any datastores?

I like the idea of 2# because it means my ESXi and OS wont take up a single SATA port. The only question is if pfSense would slow down sometimes because of this.

Entz Oct 01, 2011 09:21 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like (1) | Top | Bottom

All I was talking about was keeping the ESXi install drive seperate from your Virtual machine datastores.

When you install ESXi it creates a partition for itself and uses the rest of the space on the drive for the primary datastore, called "datastore1". You do not want to put anything on it if you can help it. This is of course only my opinion and only for safety. If you are careful it doesn't really matter, but using a service pack/update  CD for example and picking the wrong option can wipe the drive out (happened to me) and anything you had on it (fortunately for me there was nothing).

So say you had a 8GB flash drive. ESXi would take about 4GB for itself and leave you with 4GB in a datastore ("datastore1"). You would put nothing on datastore1.

#1 is the normal way you use ESXi . You provision a datastore from the disks you have added to the server, create  a Virtual machine and store the disks along side the vmx (virtual machine definition) files.

#2 Will work, but you can run into the issue I mentioned above (which may or may not matter to you) but unless you are using a large SSD you may not have the space -- or have limited room for growth.

To get around that you would only store the VMX files in flash and put the virtual hard drives on another datastore (or pass it raw disks).

#3 Is the way you would work with RAW disks, but you still have to store the VMX files somewhere so it is essentially the same as #2. You just use way less space on the flash/datastore1.

pfSense wont slow down unless you are trying to log a massive amount of data. It is designed to run from flash. Heck my VM server is under 100% load and pfSense has never even skipped a beat.

How are you intending on using the disks? 1 per VM or some form of RAID in a big datastore

This message was modified by the poster at 10 01, 2011 09:25 PM

Hotshot Oct 01, 2011 09:44 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

well at most I plan on having 3 OS'es, so in that case a 64GB will be more then enough.... but I almost want to throw it all on a 32GB flash drive to spare up a SATA port...

I plan on running two XP's (or possible one if I can get it working two two NICs the way I want it to) for my NAS. Then the other will be a single pfSense with load balancing... So even if I somehow lose those vm's, it wont be a big deal.

Entz Oct 01, 2011 09:54 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like (1) | Top | Bottom

Yeah that would be fine then.

NCIX Forum Messages

Please note that NCIX.com Forums is not a sales or product support board. For sales or specific product related questions, please send message to receive the fastest response.

Messages about Western Digital WD Caviar Green 3TB SATA3 3.5in 64MB Cache Intellipower Internal Hard Disk Drive

How to fix if it appears as only 746GB (mynaz- Jul 08, 13, 1 Replies) Read this message
750GB or 1TB platter? (Andy_C- Apr 29, 13, 1 Replies) Read this message
Is the WD Green 3TB the best 3TB for the price? (stevee- Mar 21, 13, 12 Replies) Read this message
RAID1 ? (Erik_F- Feb 01, 13, 2 Replies) Read this message
Faster WD 3TB drive? (themaster- Nov 08, 12, 1 Replies) Read this message
Will this work with my hard drive dock? (Jason_M- Oct 21, 12, 3 Replies) Read this message
Possible to enable TLER? (James_S- Oct 18, 12, 5 Replies) Read this message
Are Barracuda's bad? (Makall- Sep 20, 12, 35 Replies) Read this message
external enclosure for mac use (dick_y- Jul 12, 12, 1 Replies) Read this message
Shoul I use the pci express feature? (XxaP- May 26, 12, 8 Replies) Read this message
The WD Green 3TB Vs. Hitachi Deskstar 5K3000 (Supacon- May 06, 12, 6 Replies) Read this message
RPM? (petko_g- May 02, 12, 6 Replies) Read this message
recognize past 2gb? (Dybre- Mar 01, 12, 1 Replies) Read this message
Good for esxi? (Hotshot- Oct 01, 11, 10 Replies) Read this message
am i able to use wdidle3 for this drive? (ASUSpro- Sep 26, 11, 2 Replies) Read this message

Post a New Message  |    All Messages       Browse NCIX Forums

Forum messages are not reviewed and may not contain accurate information about a product. Message contents are opinions from customers based on their own experience with a product. We do not recommend you make puchasing decisions based on Forum messages.

Call Queue
Now Serving
Avg. Response Time
Estimate: 45 mins
Request Call Back
(Web Orders Only)

Recent Experts
1. Alter3d Reality (17203)
2. Saberon (14933)
3. Spork™ (13689)
4. DJZ (6922)
5. Rebecca_M (258)
All Time Experts
1. Mr. Friendly™ (51387)
2. The Wizard (39824)
3. death_hawk™ (35144)
4. Not An Expert (26343)
5. Lance W (25246)

Your Order Company Info Memberships Services Hotlinks
Order Status
RMAs (Merchandise returns)
F.A.Q.
Contact Us / Store Locator
Careers
Terms & Conditions
Privacy Policy
NCIX Rewards
Premier Partner Reseller Program
VIP Memberships
Advantage Membership
Affiliate Program
Express Coverage
Express RMA
Express Shipping Service
Express Exchange and Care Coverage
Gift Cards & Balance Checker
NCIX Newsletters
NCIX Forums
Folding @ Home Team
The Banner Vault
International Sites:  Canada
Get the best discount computers online for online computer shopping and discount PC computer components as well as notebook computers, laptops and Canada custom computers for the best deals on computers.
NCIX.com provides Canada the best priced computers in the country for computer components and computer parts and computer accessories with the best online computer store in Canada for your personal and business computer needs.
At NCIX you can build your own computer online as well as search for the cheapest and best video cards, computer processors and CPUs, motherboards computer memory RAM, ssd and hard drives with the fastest shipping in Canada and the US.
So for discount computers online NCIX provides the cheapest digital cameras, printers, motherboards, flash memory, PC speakers and computer electronics with the best Canadian computer and Canadian online computer shopping website in the world.

NCIX.com is powered by Intel® Xeon® Quad Core Processors
Copyright© 2014 NCIX.com/Netlink Computer Inc. All rights reserved. S / Server ID:74 20140730100924  593 ms