Shop by Category | Brand | Order Tracking | Customer Care | Contact Us | Wishlist | My Account |
All
  • All Departments
  • Digital Download
Cart
My Drafts
General Topics
  Tech News
  What's New
  NCIX.com Q&A
  Important Notices
  General Discussions
  Suggestions/Feedback
  Site Bug Reports
  PC Builder Workshop
  NCIX Gaming Community
  NCIX Tech Tips
  Linus Tech Tips
  NCIX Esther
  Manufacturer Support
  CPU Discussions
  Video Cards
  Power Supplies
  Folding @ Home
  Moderated
  Off Topic
  Overclocking
  Product Requests
  PC Modding
Software Topics
  Operating Systems
  Linux
  Freeware/Shareware
  Open Source Projects
  Driver Updates
Broadband Topics
  Shaw Cable
  Telus ADSL
  Speed Test Reports
FAQs
  NCIX FAQs
  Hardware FAQs
  Overclocking FAQs
  Other FAQs
  Software FAQs
Top Categories
  Blu-Ray Drives
  Bundle Deals
  Camcorders
  CD & DVD Drives
  Chromebook
  Computer Cases
  CPU Heatsinks
  DDR2 Desktop Memory
  DDR3 Desktop Memory
  Digital Cameras
  External Hard Drives
  Fans & Cooling
  Hard Drives
  HTPC Accessories
  Inkjet Printers
  Internet Routers
  Keyboards
  Laser Printers
  LCD Monitors
  Mice & Pointing Devices
  Mobile Phones
  Modding
  Motherboards
  Multi-Function Printers
  Network Adapters
  Network Storage NAS
  Network Switches
  PC Games
  PlayStation 3 Games
  Power Supplies
  Processors (CPUs)
  Scanners
  SD Secure Digital
  Solid State Drives - SSD
  Speakers & Audio
  UPS/Power Management
  USB Flash Drives
  Video Cards
  Water Cooling
  Webcams
  Wireless Accessories
  XBox 360
 LATEST TOPICS |  FORUMS » DRIVES » HOW TO USE WDIDLE3.EXE TO CHANGE AUTOPAR...

Western Digital WD20EARS Caviar Green 2TB SATA2 3Gbps 64MB Cache 3.5IN Hard Drive OEM

This drive utilizes new Advanced Format technology and requires special setup for use with Windows XP. Instructions for set up are included with the drive.
Western Digital WD20EARS Caviar Green 2TB SATA2 3Gbps 64MB Cache 3.5IN Hard Drive OEM - 49591_l.jpg
Actual product may not be exactly as shown.
Western Digital WD20EARS Caviar Green 2TB SATA2 3Gbps 64MB Cache 3.5IN Hard Drive OEM - 49591_l.jpg Customer Photos (0)
Western Digital WD
Reg. Price: $139.98  CAD
Special Offer:

Shuttle KD21, Network-attached storage (NAS) $119.99  SAVE$120.00 BUY TODAY! Regular $239.99 Media Network sharing made easy.

More Details  

Shuttle KS10 OMNINAS 1-Bay SAVE$40.00 BUY TODAY! Regular $99.99 Media Network sharing made easy.

More Details  
Availability:
This Product is Not Available

This item is no longer available. Notify me if this product is available again.
Seagate Rescue Plan:
Rescue Data Recovery Services
Cover your drive with Seagate Rescue, a great peace of mind at a small price! Learn More
None, I do not want Seagate Rescue
Seagate Rescue 2 Year Plan for Internal Hard Drives - Only $39.99
Seagate Rescue 3 Year Plan for Internal Hard Drives - Only $49.99
Service Plan:
NCIX Express Exchange
If your product is diagnosed as defective, we will replace it with a brand new one! Learn More
None, I do not want NCIX Express Exchange
NCIX.com 1 Year Component Express Exchange - Only $10.99
NCIX.com 2 Year Component Express Exchange - Only $26.99
NCIX.com 3 Year Component Express Exchange - Only $42.99
Avg. Rating:
Share this:
More Product Detail
E-Mail to a friend
More from Western Digital WD
More Hard Drives from Western Digital WD
Similar products
Print this item
Notify me

SKU:  
   Shipping Weight:   1.2 lbs
   Part #: WD20EARS
Subject: How to use WDidle3.exe to change autopark timer
Share this:  
PREV   |   NEXT   1 2  
Author Date Posted Tools
Todd™ Dec 08, 2010 09:17 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like (1) | Top | Bottom

These WD Green drives are the new 4K Advanced format drives. Along with that, WD thought it would be a great feature to build a timer in their firmware to autopark the heads after 8 seconds so to reduce energy. For many that use these drives in a NAS, other external USB storage or even a desktop, this was not such a great idea. The continual autoparking of the heads greatly reduces the lifetime of these drives to the point where 3 months with the 8 second autopark timer is equivalent to ~3 years of use.

To remedy the situation, you can adjust the autopark timer from the default 8 sec up to a maximum of 300 seconds (5 minutes).
This needs to be done MS-DOS and the easiest way is as follows:

1. create  a bootable MS-DOS USB thumb drive. Make sure to choose FAT as the format.
http://www.bay-wolf.com/usbmemstick.htm

2. Download the WDidle3.exe file from Western Digital's website and save the wdidle3.exe file to the thumb drive
http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?groupid=609&sid=113

3. Shutdown your PC, remove all other hard drives except the WD Green drive that you want to change the wdidle timer on.

4. Restart your PC and go into your PC's BIOS and make sure you turn AHCI off otherwise your flash drive will not be recognized. Also make sure that the thumb drive is set as the first bootable drive. Save your BIOS settings.

5. Restart your PC, it should hopefully see the thumb drive and boot from it into MS-DOS.

6. Once in MS-DOS, type "wdidle3.exe" without the quotes and press enter. The wdidle3.exe utility should run. From there, you can use the following commands:

wdidle3.exe /r
-this will provide you info on the drive including the current timeout. Factory default is 8 seconds.

wdidle3.exe /s300
-this will change the autopark timer to 300 seconds (5 minutes) which is the maximum allowed.

You can also do another wdidle3.exe /r after you make the change to see that the drive has accepted the new timer.

**DO NOT USE** the wdidle3.exe /d command. This turns the timer off however many people have reported that the drives eventually slow down to a crawl and/or generate errors using this command. The best is to change the timer to 300 seconds.

Once done, shut your PC off and repeat step-6 for each WD Green drive 4K drive.

Once you are finished, plug your hard drives back in, go back into your BIOS and turn AHCI on, change your boot order, etc. and reboot back into Windows.
Drink a beer.

edit: fixed some typos and removed the space in the 'wdidle3.exe /s300' command line. (thanks XX).

This message was modified by the poster at 03 11, 2011 08:45 AM

Topic URL: http://forums.ncix.com/forums/topic.php?id=2278208

Tip Posting | My Postings (2201) | My Reviews (2) | View Source
Tips: 150 Points tipped from 5 members
Geeky Dec 08, 2010 09:45 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

A couple of notes:
- This also applies to earlier (now discontinued) EADS drives that predate the advanced 4K formatting. Users with those drives in NAS boxes will probably find their drives parking themselves to death as well.
- Don't have a spare USB stick lying around? A CD works too.

Tip Posting | My Postings (8969) | My Reviews (46) | View Source
Todd™ Dec 08, 2010 09:49 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

I spent hours trying to make a bootable CD-ROM with the wdidle3.exe file and it was a waste of time. The USB stick was way easier. I am never going to erase this MS-DOS bootable USB stick. Ever.

Michael_B Dec 08, 2010 11:53 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Isn't the timer in WD Black drives turned off though? Why would turning it off hurt it so much? If it doesn't hurt it so bad can we turn it off and if we experience issues just turn it back to 500 seconds? I plan to put all my greens in a MediaSonic 4 bay usb 3.0 enclosure to hold my HD movies/TV and run them through a HTPC and wouldn't really wanting the drives to turn off every 5 minutes when not in use :-/

Tip Posting | My Postings (425) | My Reviews (38) | View Source
Todd™ Dec 08, 2010 01:35 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Well the whole idea of autoparking I assume is to save on electricity costs.

You also might want to confirm with MediaSonic that these 4K sector drives are compatible with their NAS products. This WD Green drive was not compatible with Netgear's ReadyNAS lineup until very recently when they came out with new firmware for their NAS' that made them compatible with 4K sector drives.

Michael_B Dec 08, 2010 01:55 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

The mediasonic is just a enclosure not a NAS device :)

Tip Posting | My Postings (425) | My Reviews (38) | View Source
Bojamijams Dec 09, 2010 11:20 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Is it absolutely vital to only have 1 drive conntected at a time? Or rather, only the WG Greens? Is there no way to specify which SATA channel to use?

Tip Posting | My Postings (1004) | My Reviews (103) | View Source
Todd™ Dec 09, 2010 11:28 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Just connect one drive at a time, boot PC, do the change, turn off the PC, connect next drive and repeat. Won't take longer than 5 minutes or so to update  a half dozen drives.

Pete_P Dec 09, 2010 12:32 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like (1) | Top | Bottom

Thanks, Todd. I think that's a good thing to know! I'm looking at drives for storage but it's the WD Greens that are conveniently available. I wish that NCIX supplied the Samsung drives but alas, they don't.
I think the power consumption might go up a bit after 'changing' the drive from whatever the default is, just under 3 watts? I might go up to 4 and a bit but that's negligible. If I get a WD Green drive, I think I'd not want to take a chance leaving it at the default 8 seconds and would run the utility.
Does anyone know if the heads park or you get high load cycle counts with other advanced format drives? Or is this a specific feature to WD?
Samsung F4 2TB drives have the advanced format but I haven't read of them having power saving features like WD so either they use a different type, don't use it or no one is talking about it yet.

P.S. do you have the 3-platter version (w/ # MVWB0)?

This message was modified by the poster at 12 09, 2010 12:33 PM

Tip Posting | My Postings (180) | My Reviews (0) | View Source
Todd™ Dec 09, 2010 12:34 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

I am not sure which version I have but will check when I get home.

kentt Dec 09, 2010 12:49 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like (1) | Top | Bottom

Awesome. Thanks. Worked on my pair of drives.

Tip Posting | My Postings (26) | My Reviews (15) | View Source
Marvin_M Dec 11, 2010 09:41 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

I found that my drive's factory default was 4 seconds (!!) before it would park the head.

I fixed this with the wdidle3.exe /d command and haven't had any issues at all. I suspect your warning may only apply under certain conditions.

My drive is running under XP and performance hasn't changed one bit (pardon the pun) :-)

Tip Posting | My Postings (44) | My Reviews (8) | View Source
Moviez101 Dec 12, 2010 12:18 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

OR just buy Samsung's HD204UI 2TB....OH WAIT A MINUTE....NCIX NEVER SELLS IT!!!

Tip Posting | My Postings (33) | My Reviews (9) | View Source
Shane_P Dec 12, 2010 02:51 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

I just leave every drive connected and do them all at once
no problems at all.
4x WD drives in 1 PC (changed WDidle3 at same time)
2x WD drives on other PC (did those 2 at same time)

I even did my buddy's PC the same way, seems safe to do them all at once.

Tip Posting | My Postings (1775) | My Reviews (96) | View Source
kentt Dec 12, 2010 05:17 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

It really sucks that ncix doesn't sell more Samsung HDs. Compared to the ridiculously popular WD Blacks, the F3s are generally faster and quieter. Samsung has a killer line up of drives that are lacking here. Hd204ui are also great competitor to wd20ear.

Tip Posting | My Postings (26) | My Reviews (15) | View Source
Ross_H Dec 17, 2010 10:43 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Hi there, thanks for this new information. I have 4 of these in my 2nd Gen Drobo? Should I be concerned and run this utility? I don't run my Drobo 24/7, but when I do it can be on for a few hours at a time. Thanks for any opinions.

Tip Posting | My Postings (13) | My Reviews (2) | View Source
Geeky Dec 18, 2010 10:59 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Ideally there would be a way to check the drive SMART health parameters, but after checking around a bit I don't know whether the Drobo makes this information available. Odd, since other boxes usually have SMART info in their administration utility somewhere. The key figure is called "Load Cycle Count", which literally increases while you watch on affected drives and controllers.

Geeky Dec 18, 2010 11:04 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like (1) | Top | Bottom

I only mentioned a CD because that was what I used. The instructions at http://forum.synology.com/enu/viewtopic.php?f=124&t=20907 had me sporting a working CD in about 15 minutes total.

Jean-Francois_C Dec 28, 2010 10:06 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

My drive is in a USB enclosure, is it still possible to run wdidle3.exe to change the park time?

Tip Posting | My Postings (21) | My Reviews (20) | View Source
Todd™ Dec 28, 2010 11:28 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like (1) | Top | Bottom

Yes, however you need to remove the drive from the USB enclosure and install it directly to a SATA cable to change the wdidle3 settings. Once you have done that, you can put the drive back into your USB enclosure.

Jean-Francois_C Dec 29, 2010 11:41 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like (1) | Top | Bottom

OK that is what I expected but I had a very thin hope that I would not have to do that. Thanks for the info.

Tip Posting | My Postings (21) | My Reviews (20) | View Source
NaX ©2008 Dec 29, 2010 12:44 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

damn ... i forgot that step
will i be ok?

yeah, i just bought a 1tb wd black and changed the timer to 300
it makes more sense
(8sec ... wtf were they thinking; then again if you read my previous posts about the 1tb black, i figured the engineers were on a perpetual 420 with the design of that drive)

Tip Posting | My Postings (11015) | My Reviews (40) | View Source
Todd™ Dec 29, 2010 12:46 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

I didn't even know there was a reason to change the timer on a Black as I thought only the Greens autoparked. Are you sure this was necessary?

perijah Dec 29, 2010 02:05 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Do you need to initialize the HDD before being able to follow these instructions?

Tip Posting | My Postings (350) | My Reviews (8) | View Source
majorPEBKAC Dec 29, 2010 02:38 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

No, initialization is only for drive detection in a Windows-based OS.

Outside of an OS, be it Linux / Windows / Apple / other, initialization is completely unnecessary for detection of the drive by the bios. In fact, Windows is the only OS i know of that uses initialization, although there could have been others in the past or even present that may have done so (did OS2/Warp use it??)

The short answer is NO though.

This message was modified by the poster at 12 29, 2010 02:38 PM

Tip Posting | My Postings (2814) | My Reviews (14) | View Source
Ronin688 Dec 29, 2010 03:11 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Will this affect data on the drive already? I just stumbled across this post and I have one green drive already installed from last year and the load cycle count is 9500+...
I'm going to be opening the case and doing this tweak to the new 2TB green I just got, should I do it to the older drive as well?

I guess I'm asking if this will in any way compromise the data on the drive I've been using for a year?

This message was modified by the poster at 12 29, 2010 03:13 PM

Tip Posting | My Postings (243) | My Reviews (1) | View Source
majorPEBKAC Dec 29, 2010 03:15 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Always back up your data before attempting ANY sort of firmware upgrade.

It is VERY possible that you could lose your data should the upgrade fail.

Ronin688 Dec 29, 2010 03:19 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

That makes sense, but I'm full up on data as it is. I guess I'll have to update  the firmware on the new 2TB, copy the data from the 1.5TB and then go and update  the firmware on the 1.5TB.
Fun.

Thanks for the quick reply.

majorPEBKAC Dec 29, 2010 03:23 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Moving (cutting and pasting) data is much faster than copying. If you cut and paste the data from the 1.5 TB to the 2 TB it will be much quicker, though if you have an operating system installed on the 1.5 TB this is not an option. If that is the case, you will need a cloning program like Acronis or Norton Ghost to do the job for you.

Ronin688 Dec 29, 2010 04:24 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Ahh thanks for the tip.

I'm wondering though if 9500 load cycles is all that horrible for a years worth of use. I can't find a 'max' number on 3.5" drives, but the google search I did said that the max load cycles for a 2.5" drive is something like 200-300k.

I may just let it be if the max numbers for a 3.5" are similar.

PREV   |   NEXT   1 2  

NCIX Forum Messages

Please note that NCIX.com Forums is not a sales or product support board. For sales or specific product related questions, please send message to receive the fastest response.

Messages about Western Digital WD20EARS Caviar Green 2TB SATA2 3Gbps 64MB Cache 3.5IN Hard Drive OEM

RMA'ed but receiving WD25EZRS instead? (cksum- Mar 11, 12, 3 Replies) Read this message
Warranty? (Redpoints- Mar 05, 12, 4 Replies) Read this message
Why did Price Skyrocket? (drakken- Dec 17, 11, 11 Replies) Read this message
WD20EARS and Vantec NexStar CX (rageguy- Oct 14, 11, 8 Replies) Read this message
WD20EARS Clicking Noise (rageguy- Oct 07, 11, 1 Replies) Read this message
Cloning and Alignment Requirements Question (Ryan_E- Oct 06, 11, 8 Replies) Read this message
Still parking? (Oliver_D- Sep 30, 11, 2 Replies) Read this message
Blue screen of death since I installed this HDD (Vincent_R- Sep 21, 11, 5 Replies) Read this message
Recommend a driver enclosure please. (ZMX- Sep 13, 11, 1 Replies) Read this message
to jumper or not to jumper? (stefer- Sep 10, 11, 1 Replies) Read this message
How to use WDidle3.exe to change autopark timer (Todd™- Aug 27, 11, 39 Replies) Read this message
WDidle3.exe (Oliver_D- Aug 27, 11, 3 Replies) Read this message
Drive warranty (Joey_C- Aug 23, 11, 3 Replies) Read this message

Post a New Message  |    All Messages       Browse NCIX Forums

Forum messages are not reviewed and may not contain accurate information about a product. Message contents are opinions from customers based on their own experience with a product. We do not recommend you make puchasing decisions based on Forum messages.

Call Queue
Now Serving
Closed
Avg. Response Time
Closed
Request Call Back
(Web Orders Only)

Recent Experts
1. Greg * NCIX.com (33111)
2. Saberon (15194)
3. Spork™ (13948)
4. Pawtucket (9397)
5. MasterFuji (902)
All Time Experts
1. Mr. Friendly™ (51387)
2. The Wizard (39824)
3. death_hawk™ (35144)
4. Not An Expert (26343)
5. Lance W (25246)

Your Order Company Info Memberships Services Hotlinks
Order Status
RMAs (Merchandise returns)
F.A.Q.
Contact Us / Store Locator
Careers
Terms & Conditions
Privacy Policy
NCIX Rewards
Premier Partner Reseller Program
VIP Memberships
Advantage Membership
Affiliate Program
Super Shipping Saver Club
Express Coverage
Express RMA
Express Shipping Service
Express Exchange and Care Coverage
Gift Cards & Balance Checker
Advanced Store Price Match
Black Friday Sale
Boxing Week Sale
NCIX Newsletters
NCIX Forums
Folding @ Home Team
The Banner Vault
International Sites:  Canada
Get the best discount computers online for online computer shopping and discount PC computer components as well as notebook computers, laptops and Canada custom computers for the best deals on computers.
NCIX.com provides Canada the best priced computers in the country for computer components and computer parts and computer accessories with the best online computer store in Canada for your personal and business computer needs.
At NCIX you can build your own computer online as well as search for the cheapest and best video cards, computer processors and CPUs, motherboards computer memory RAM, ssd and hard drives with the fastest shipping in Canada and the US.
So for discount computers online NCIX provides the cheapest digital cameras, printers, motherboards, flash memory, PC speakers and computer electronics with the best Canadian computer and Canadian online computer shopping website in the world.

NCIX.com is powered by Intel® Xeon® Quad Core Processors
Copyright© 2014 NCIX.com/Netlink Computer Inc. All rights reserved. S / Server ID:74 20141021015126  672 ms