Video Cards
  Webcams
  Wired Routers
  Wireless Accessories
NCIX.com Forums

FORUMS »

WHAT'S THE STORY ON RADEON RX 570/58...
Subject:

What's the story on Radeon RX 570/580s ?

Share this:
PREV   |   NEXT   1 2  
Author Date Posted Tools
Poison Ivy Poison Ivy Apr 17, 2017 06:10 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

I am making a gaming build and I read new cards are supposed to be released on the 18th, so I figured I'd wait 2 days just to see since it's only 2 days. But I don't see any info on this on forums or reddit or anything, just wondering if this is true or not?

Do stores actually have stock or is this just a figurative release?

Topic URL: http://forums.ncix.com/forums/topic.php?id=2755409

Tip Posting | My Postings (3637) | My Reviews (68) | View Source | Report
Coach_ Coach_ Vip Member Apr 17, 2017 08:09 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

AFAIK it is true. Also I think there will be stock... but there is no way to be sure without waiting and finding out.

Tip Posting | My Postings (6009) | My Reviews (19) | View Source
Tips: 1 Points tipped from 1 members | Report
Calypso Calypso Apr 17, 2017 08:13 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Its a respin. Apparently E7 revision, where my RX 480 is a C7 revision. Clock speeds will be slightly higher and voltages will be slightly lower. Supposed to be priced at "Ellesmere" but expect higher.

Tip Posting | My Postings (5061) | My Reviews (31) | View Source | Report
Coach_ Coach_ Vip Member Apr 17, 2017 08:14 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

I am hoping that the RX5XX series will prompt Nvidia to ship the 1060's with faster ram, those are the cards I actually wanna buy.

Tip Posting | My Postings (6009) | My Reviews (19) | View Source | Report
Calypso Calypso Apr 17, 2017 08:36 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

I could see these cards hitting 425-450 Cdn dollars. The Msi 480's, considered among the best were 425.00 CDN. OUCH! ....plus shipping and another 0.12% for tax? Our dollar at 0.75 means?....multiply the USD price at 1.33 plus shipping, plus another 12%. :(
That's so nasty. Us, Canucks are paying through the nose for this stuff.

I considered a 1060, and ...no.

Coach_ Coach_ Vip Member Apr 17, 2017 09:14 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

may I ask why?

Robert_D22 Apr 17, 2017 09:22 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

On launch the 8GB 480 Gaming X was that high? Glad I only pad $309 for it. I went for the 480 over the 1060 as well, given the price/performance ratio and the games I play and the videos I edit, the gap to the 1060 is a little off. Now if you played games that heavily favoured Nvidia cards, that might be a different story.

Tip Posting | My Postings (647) | My Reviews (84) | View Source | Report
jakeElwood Apr 18, 2017 12:49 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Its a good card, problem is it isnt enough of an upgrade over a gtx780-970 especially for 2560x1440.

I have to wait for a used 980ti or 1070 to be a worthwhile upgrade.

And they are expensive damn it.

But ive saved a tonne of money not having to upgrade 2600k/mobo/ram for 6 years also haha.

Tip Posting | My Postings (2738) | My Reviews (0) | View Source | Report
Poison Ivy Poison Ivy Apr 18, 2017 01:21 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

A somewhat questionable NCIX competitor site I found had the 570 listed for $258 CAD.

Saberon Saberon Vip Member Moderator Apr 18, 2017 06:22 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

http://www.ncix.com/article/Radeon-Rebels.htm?utm_source=SLNL-0-38947-279544-&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=SLNL-0-38947-279544-

Tip Posting | My Postings (16065) | My Reviews (233) | View Source | Report
Poison Ivy Poison Ivy Apr 18, 2017 07:13 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Yep, I guess the sketchy website was correct. They had it listed 3 days ago for $258.99

So pardon my dumbness, but how is it already backordered? Is it really "sold out" or is that just a pre-order type of backorder?

Coach_ Coach_ Vip Member Apr 18, 2017 08:09 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

wow no stock, slow clap for AMD.

This message was modified by the poster at 04 18, 2017 08:10 AM

Yoinkerman Yoinkerman Apr 18, 2017 08:37 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

I think they're rebrands with faster clocks and maybe different memory. Which is fine imo since they're not charging ridiculously more like with what happened from the 280 to the 380.

Prices seem about the same.

Tip Posting | My Postings (6713) | My Reviews (27) | View Source | Report
Notree Apr 18, 2017 08:54 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

When will stock be in? If it's going to be another week or two for stock might as well wait for vega.

Tip Posting | My Postings (2827) | My Reviews (16) | View Source | Report
Jack_L2 Apr 18, 2017 10:42 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

so an OCed and watercooled R9 290x, which is ages old, would probably outperform or match this RX 580. and consume less power under water. Great.

All they did is factory OC the card. It consumes more power than the rx480, and only about 10-13% performance boost... I wonder if a watercooled RX480 would not OC and run better than the RX580!

GTX1060 has better min FPS, and consumes much less power.

SKIP to VEGA.

And I dont see VEGA being under $600 USD.. Which means the gtx 1080 will be very competitive price wise.

At least with NVDEA you get ULMB. And excellent driver support, game support, etc. Better monitors too.

I had AMD cards since the ATI age, so for over 8 years. If VEGA does not outperform the 1080 at a cheaper price, I have nothing else to say. I dont care about flame suits right now.

This message was modified by the poster at 04 18, 2017 10:53 AM

Tip Posting | My Postings (1014) | My Reviews (50) | View Source | Report
Poison Ivy Poison Ivy Apr 18, 2017 12:50 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Not saying you are wrong (I've not looked into this too deeply) but a Freesync monitor is a heck of a lot cheaper than Nvidia's G-Sync version. So it makes sense if they are better... isn't that the point?

On PCPartPicker the cheapest non-mini 1060 is $248 (3GB version ) and the cheapest G-Sync monitor is a whopping $525. That's kind of a major difference.

If I am wrong or don't know wtf I'm talking about, please clue me in.

While the 580 may just be an overclocked overpowered 480, the nice thing is I see a couple 480 prices dropping. Now if only they would get some damn stock

Duncan_R2 Apr 18, 2017 01:43 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Is there a waiting list for the 580s?
I see that they are on back order.
Are more anticipated in the next week or so?
Many thanks!

Tip Posting | My Postings (40) | My Reviews (2) | View Source | Report
Greg * NCIX.com Greg * NCIX.com NCIX.com Staff Apr 18, 2017 01:50 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like (3) | Top | Bottom

This is the first one to arrive, and there are some units still not sold yet. We have incoming orders on all other models, but their ETAs vary from yesterday through until the 24th. Gigabyte & MSI cards are expected to arrive this week.

Tip Posting | My Postings (27644) | My Reviews (4) | My Profile | View Source | Report
Poison Ivy Poison Ivy Apr 18, 2017 03:14 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Thanks for the info. Now. what are the chances of a price drop  on the 4xx series on Wednesday?

Jack_L2 Apr 18, 2017 04:03 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Poison Ivy:
I looked into monitors for a while with the help of jakeelwood, and here is some of my personal conclusions.
First of all, AMD does not have any ULMB-like equivalent with freesync. G-sync in itself includes the ULMB technology. Very few Freesync monitors have motion blur reduction, but it’s more like an “add-on” with the monitor itself, not part of freesync. Big difference IMO.
Second, there are a lot more choices with G-sync monitors. If you look for the best gaming monitors, most are g-sync based.
Ok so the 580 is an OC of the OC of the yet another OC of an OCed 290x.. It is just pure silly and they are still pushing these 580 cards like couple weeks before VEGA..! Completely ridiculous.
Game optimization, drivers, ULMB: Nvidia wins. And now their GTX 1080ti is $700 USD… So Vega would be how much?

Calypso Calypso Apr 18, 2017 05:18 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Yes. Throughout the life of the 480, it actually got better than a 1060 within about the same time frame from the initial launch.
Not only the 480, but their entire stack going back 3 years got better. You dont see that with Nvidia.
Since AMD is the underdog, I love 'em for that.

I'm sure Nvidia will counter with that faster memory you mentioned. I'm a hardcore AMD fan. That likely has something to do with it.

Calypso Calypso Apr 18, 2017 06:00 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Just installed 17.4.3 whql. Awesome. A little snappier!

Notree Apr 19, 2017 06:24 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

The 1060 has better min fps in what? They both trade blows as far as I can see. The 580 wins in every performance per dollar chart I've seen. BF1 for example the 580 almost gets 1070 performance.
Vega will be twice the price.
You can't use gsync and ulmb at the same time. Better monitors is a far stretch when they cost way more. I also doubt people looking at this price bracket are even going to purchase a gysnc monitor.
If VEGA can't beat a 1080 I think we will all die a little inside. But in all honesty I don't care cause I'm not looking to spend $500+ on a gpu.

This message was modified by the poster at 04 19, 2017 06:25 AM

Jack_L2 Apr 19, 2017 07:20 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Notree: Sorry but you are wrong. I own a monitor that has ULMB AND G-sync both enabled at the same time, and all that above 85hz.

Since the 580 is an OC of an OC of another OC why dont we OC the poor 1060 and compare it fairly then?

If VEGA is twice the price that puts it in $600-$700 territory. Which means much more expensive than the 1080 ($500 USD), and almost the same price as a 1080ti. It would be a funny thing because 1440p would go for the $500 1080 and the 4K guys would have to go vega or the 1080ti.

When Nvidiea lower their pricing, it really puts AMD in a very rough situation

Poison Ivy Poison Ivy Apr 19, 2017 09:00 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

My understanding is G-Sync is virtually the same thing as Freesync. Nvidia could support Freesync but they don't because money. I am still trying to figure out how ULMB fits into this. Overall though from what I've read Freesync is the real deal for a much lower price point.

Jack_L2 Apr 19, 2017 09:24 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

For the most part, yes, but there are differences. It is not a copy / paste at a cheaper price if that is what you mean. Same applies with AMD vs Nvidia cards, its not JUST the performance at a lower price. You have to consider driver support, game support, power consumption, OC temps, and so on.. Unless you are watercooling any AMD card b4 VEGA, you have a heater in your case.. Your OC will be limited, your MB, case temp, and everything else will be warmer, your case will be louder, you get the point.

When Nvidia slashed down their prices, they were really aiming at destroying AMD's strongest advantage (price), except that, well now you get more by buying Nvidea than AMD. And that is exactly why I switched to Nvidia. Besides, like it or not, when was the last time you saw a laptop with an AMD card...?

I really don't see VEGA below $600 USD, and at that point, if you are gaming at 1440p it would either be overkill, or the 1080 will be cheaper.

Poison Ivy Poison Ivy Apr 19, 2017 10:16 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Yea, if vega is that pricey then you would certainly have a point. I misunderstood that you were referencing the future models. AMD has always been the cheap, hot, loud option. I guess if I go this route I will make sure I get a well-reviewed version that runs cool. I am building a complete w/c setup at some point however.

Notree Apr 19, 2017 12:20 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

My bad.That definitely wasn't the case before.
My point still stands. People looking for $300 cards aren't likely to buy a Gsync monitor. We all know its better then freesync. But its also way more expensive.
The poor 1060? Are you kidding.Many of the reviews do comparisons of overlocked cards. They still trade blows. It comes down to what game you play. At the end of the day whatever gives you the most value is what most consumers buy.
The fact the you keep saying NVIDIA this NVIDA that just shows me you don't care about price performance.

Jack_L2 Apr 19, 2017 01:29 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Notree: even the idea of price to performance ratio is really dependent on each person... What a rich guy considers "cheap" is not what a poor guy considers "cheap".

Anyway, the 1060 and the 580 are extremely close in price range ($300 to $350 depending on which card from AMD or Nvidia), so am not sure what are you talking about. At that point, I dont even know why would people go for an AMD card besides being affiliated with one brand or another. This is of course monitors aside.

This message was modified by the poster at 04 19, 2017 01:34 PM

Notree Apr 19, 2017 02:22 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

That's exactly where your bias comes in. Your choosing Nvidia based on brand. If someone came and asked you " What card should I buy?I'm going to be playing mostly BF1 and DOOM. You'd still say get the 1060. When the 580 clearly wins in those titles. Don't get me wrong both cards are very much equal in fps per dollar but you cant just right off AMD and say **** like " I dont even know why would people go for an AMD card besides being affiliated with one brand or another. " I just gave you a case where the 580 would be a no brainer buy over the 1060.
And another thing RX 570 is actually considered the best fps/per dollar card right now.

This message was modified by the poster at 04 19, 2017 03:05 PM

PREV   |   NEXT   1 2  

Icon Canadian CANADA Icon United States USA
Image Box Left Call Queue Image Box Right
Now Serving
Closed
Image Dot
Image Box Left Bottom Image Box Right Bottom
Image Box Left Avg. Response Time Image Box Right
Image dot
Closed
Request Call Back
(Web Orders Only)

Bluetooth Call Me
Image Box Left

Recent Experts

Image Box Right
Image Dot
1. Mr. Friendly™ (58266)
2. Greg * NCIX.com (37014)
3. Saberon (18834)
4. NaX (16800)
5. Spork™ (16322)
Image Dot
Image Box Left

All Time Experts

Image Box Right
Image Dot
1. Mr. Friendly™ (51387)
2. The Wizard (39824)
3. death_hawk™ (35144)
4. Not An Expert (26343)
5. Lance W (25246)
Image Dot

Your Order Company Info Memberships Services Hotlinks
Order Status
RMAs (Merchandise returns)
F.A.Q.
Contact Us / Store Locator
Careers
Blog
Terms & Conditions
Privacy Policy
NCIX Rewards
Premier Partner Reseller Program
VIP Memberships
Advantage Membership
NCIX Affiliate Program
Super Shipping Saver Club
Express Coverage
Express RMA
Express Shipping Service
Express Exchange and Care Coverage
Gift Cards & Balance Checker
Same-Day Delivery (NEW)
Retail Financing
NCIX Newsletters
NCIX Forums
Folding @ Home Team
The Banner Vault
International Sites:  Canada
Copyright© 2017 NCIX.com/Netlink Computer Inc. All rights reserved. / Server ID: 167  515 ms
Page last updated: 04/24/2017 17:55:36