Shop by Category | Brand | Order Tracking | Customer Care | Contact Us | Wishlist | My Account |
All
  • All Departments
  • Digital Download
Cart
My Drafts
General Topics
  Tech News
  What's New
  NCIX.com Q&A
  Important Notices
  General Discussions
  Suggestions/Feedback
  Site Bug Reports
  PC Builder Workshop
  NCIX Gaming Community
  NCIX Tech Tips
  Linus Tech Tips
  NCIX Esther
  Manufacturer Support
  CPU Discussions
  Video Cards
  Power Supplies
  Folding @ Home
  Moderated
  Off Topic
  Overclocking
  Product Requests
  PC Modding
Software Topics
  Operating Systems
  Linux
  Freeware/Shareware
  Open Source Projects
  Driver Updates
Broadband Topics
  Shaw Cable
  Telus ADSL
  Speed Test Reports
FAQs
  NCIX FAQs
  Hardware FAQs
  Overclocking FAQs
  Other FAQs
  Software FAQs
Top Categories
  Blu-Ray Drives
  Bundle Deals
  Camcorders
  CD & DVD Drives
  Chromebook
  Computer Cases
  CPU Heatsinks
  DDR2 Desktop Memory
  DDR3 Desktop Memory
  Digital Cameras
  External Hard Drives
  Fans & Cooling
  Hard Drives
  HTPC Accessories
  Inkjet Printers
  Internet Routers
  Keyboards
  Laser Printers
  LCD Monitors
  Mice & Pointing Devices
  Mobile Phones
  Modding
  Motherboards
  Multi-Function Printers
  Network Adapters
  Network Storage NAS
  Network Switches
  PC Games
  PlayStation 3 Games
  Power Supplies
  Processors (CPUs)
  Scanners
  SD Secure Digital
  Solid State Drives - SSD
  Speakers & Audio
  UPS/Power Management
  USB Flash Drives
  Video Cards
  Water Cooling
  Webcams
  Wireless Accessories
  XBox 360
 LATEST TOPICS |  FORUMS » VIDEO CARDS » ACCELERO XTREME 5870 RAMSINKS...
Subject: Accelero Xtreme 5870 RAMsinks
Share this:  
Author Date Posted Tools
Eh Devildog Jul 30, 2010 07:43 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Hey guys. I was working on installing my Accelero on my 5870, and I ran into a slight issue. When I pealed off the paper from the RAMsinks, it appears that they're dry. There's absolutely no tack or stick to them.
AC gives you a replacement pad, and I pealed it back a bit and touched the corner, and it's defiantly got some tack to it.
I started an RMA process, and I just wanted to confirm that's not suppose to happen. I've got no experience with third party coolers, this is my first time dealing with one.

Topic URL: http://forums.ncix.com/forums/topic.php?id=2221208

Tip Posting | My Postings (695) | My Reviews (11) | View Source
Tips: 100 Points tipped from 1 members
Spork™ Jul 30, 2010 07:52 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

No its not common. it should be sticky. The ram sinks are not really need, more so the Vram.

Tip Posting | My Postings (11339) | My Reviews (84) | My Profile | View Source
Eh Devildog Jul 30, 2010 08:19 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Cheers. Looks like Ive got to wait a few days.
AC basically has _no_ RMA options, and their Webshop is down. Not that I'd pay for parts on a brand-new cooler.
Now to figure out how I get an RMA cross-shipped to me...

Delavan Jul 30, 2010 09:33 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

DEvildog,
I DON'T have the time to install my cooler, because I have last minute visit coming-in this week-end. I'll try to install it maybe sunday afternoon, when they leave...I'll report back on the state of thermal pads...
Just a hint....SOMETIMES, if you heat these up with a HAIRDRYER, they become sticky enough. I'll definitely heat them up before I put them on, even if they stick when I'll unwrap-em...

This message was modified by the poster at 07 30, 2010 09:34 PM

Tip Posting | My Postings (3280) | My Reviews (36) | View Source
Eh Devildog Jul 30, 2010 10:19 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Yeah, I actually hit them with the hairdryer. Just made them warmer (and by warm, I mean, nearly burned myself. Durpty durp: Heatsinks in action), and the Thermal pad stayed the same. Dead and Dried up.

Delavan Jul 31, 2010 06:00 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Select all     

Could something like this, showcased, could work if I custom cut for eachRAM module?
I checked the status on mines...seems to be bone-dry here also. I just peeled-off a little so I could figure if it's sticky or not...
I got some Arctic Alumina, but there is NO WAY I'll put PERMANENT epoxy-based thermal compound on the RAM sinks, that would deny me any chances of RMAing down the road.
I'm now on the market for some thermal pads. I'm not interested in re-using the ones coming with the reference cooler, as I keep them to slap back of the card in case of RMA....
Where can I find such pads locally?

This message was modified by the poster at 07 31, 2010 06:08 AM

Gamer Guy Jul 31, 2010 06:55 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

*deleted*

Scratch that. Seems I am in the same boat after closer inspection. They have now fallen off and are useless.

This message was modified by the poster at 07 31, 2010 07:34 AM

Tip Posting | My Postings (1761) | My Reviews (45) | View Source
Delavan Jul 31, 2010 08:04 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

indeed.

I went to a local computer shop, just to see if they had some sort of thermal pads...the dude looked puzzled and pointed me at the wrong stuff...now I know what they're like..first visit in a shop and the guys points me towards thermal grease...

I'm glad the NCIX community exist, at least we speak "collectively" the same language.

This message was modified by the poster at 07 31, 2010 08:09 AM

ProliferationWeapon Jul 31, 2010 08:08 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

I think this whole fan failure timing must be contrived, as in, worked into the design. Futhermore, I've noticed that the aftermarket solutions for the last 2-3 generations have been severely crippled attempts for ATi high end cards, I mean, really, it took a year for something serviceable for the 4870, and what, nine months for the 5870, and its still a bit of a dodgy endeavor. Pathetic.
I am in the same boat, 5870 crossfire sounds like a chainsaw, and no viable solution unless I cough up $110 for a full cover waterblock for a card that will be obsolete in three months.

ATi/AMD: I like your cards, but this built in noise timebomb design is unpalatable.
I won't threaten to go to NVIDIA, I will just drop  pc gaming altogether.
Looking at the current and near term situation for games, i won't be missing much.

Tip Posting | My Postings (731) | My Reviews (14) | My Profile | View Source
Gamer Guy Jul 31, 2010 08:13 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

I am now using my 8800GTX because I don't want to fry my card. (Until I can swap the stock one back on the 5870 later today.) I'll be returning this and going to water cooling sooner than I though. No thermal pads/HSs to deal with.   <_<
I was so happy with this to. The GPU temps are great, but when I ran Furmark (Giving me the time to have that closer look at the HSs.) some of the other temps shot up to 105C in no time so I just shut it down quickly and swapped out cards.
From such a high, to this disappointing low.

Edit: Said GPU-Z when I meant Furmark.

This message was modified by the poster at 07 31, 2010 08:16 AM

Delavan Jul 31, 2010 08:16 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Well, kinda iffy for companies like AC, Zalman Gelid and waterblock companies to develop custom cooling designs for cards, when the PCBs aren't the same across the board.

If all PCBs were standardized across the board for all 5870 (exemple) for at least a year, if the 5870 were been sold by the millions (which is NOT the case), all kinds of companies would be producing all kinds of accessories...

ATI doesn't sell as much as nVIDIA (first reason), and not enough cards of the reference design cards sold to start MASS producing coolers (second reason).

Custom cooling is such a smal market after all. Only a chosen few can survive in that field....

ProliferationWeapon Jul 31, 2010 08:18 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Thats just it, with a waterblock, our vrms will be even worse, unless you select  a "full-cover" design, which are only made by moon elves, hence the $110 price.

This message was modified by the poster at 07 31, 2010 11:55 AM

Tips: 5 Points tipped from 1 members
ProliferationWeapon Jul 31, 2010 08:21 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Aftermarket cooling was not a problem back in the Radeon 9700-X1950 days, even the 3870 had a few decent options. I don't buy that explanation. Clearly there is a market for aftermarket coolers for ATi cards, or threads like this wouldn't exist.

Gamer Guy Jul 31, 2010 08:25 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

The one I want is listed for $119.99 but can be had for $95 when PM'd.

Spork™ Jul 31, 2010 09:17 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Sorry that yours were an issue. Mine is still stuck on.
You really dont need the ram sinks, most aftermarket dont even have anything on them.
The Vram is screwed in, so thats ok.

Tip Posting | My Postings (11339) | My Reviews (84) | My Profile | View Source
Eh Devildog Jul 31, 2010 01:51 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Thanks ProliferationWeapon. You're ability to keep this thread off-topic is amazing. Ill make sure to note that you have no understanding of technology, and how fast it advances, and that you dislike third party air cooling conditions for GPUs.

Im not sure exactly why you're posting. Last I checked we were (*trying to*) talking about dry thermal pads. Thank god for Spork bringing us back onto topic.

ProliferationWeapon Jul 31, 2010 09:14 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Hey Devildog, feel free to point me in the direction for a suitable aftermarket 5870 crossfire cooler for noobish issue with one of my 5870 fans dieing at the exact same time as at least two other NCIX users, $400 videocards less then a year old, we shouldn't be having this conversation at all, I agree.

Sorry for the thread jack, it was very early, for some reason I thought this was a second thread started by GamerGuy, anyway it good for the 5870 users that all the information is out there.

Thanks OP>tips.

This message was modified by the poster at 07 31, 2010 10:01 PM

Call Queue
Now Serving
Avg. Response Time
Estimate: 49 mins
Request Call Back
(Web Orders Only)

Recent Experts
1. Greg * NCIX.com (32937)
2. Saberon (14836)
3. Spork™ (13794)
4. Zer0 (10697)
5. _Ryan__ (1420)
All Time Experts
1. Mr. Friendly™ (51387)
2. The Wizard (39824)
3. death_hawk™ (35144)
4. Not An Expert (26343)
5. Lance W (25246)

Your Order Company Info Memberships Services Hotlinks
Order Status
RMAs (Merchandise returns)
F.A.Q.
Contact Us / Store Locator
Careers
Terms & Conditions
Privacy Policy
NCIX Rewards
Premier Partner Reseller Program
VIP Memberships
Advantage Membership
Affiliate Program
Super Shipping Saver Club
Express Coverage
Express RMA
Express Shipping Service
Express Exchange and Care Coverage
Gift Cards & Balance Checker
Advanced Store Price Match
NCIX Newsletters
NCIX Forums
Folding @ Home Team
The Banner Vault
International Sites:  Canada
Get the best discount computers online for online computer shopping and discount PC computer components as well as notebook computers, laptops and Canada custom computers for the best deals on computers.
NCIX.com provides Canada the best priced computers in the country for computer components and computer parts and computer accessories with the best online computer store in Canada for your personal and business computer needs.
At NCIX you can build your own computer online as well as search for the cheapest and best video cards, computer processors and CPUs, motherboards computer memory RAM, ssd and hard drives with the fastest shipping in Canada and the US.
So for discount computers online NCIX provides the cheapest digital cameras, printers, motherboards, flash memory, PC speakers and computer electronics with the best Canadian computer and Canadian online computer shopping website in the world.

NCIX.com is powered by Intel® Xeon® Quad Core Processors
Copyright© 2014 NCIX.com/Netlink Computer Inc. All rights reserved. S / Server ID:74 20140829110340  265 ms