Subject:

Pande puts the smack down on FTL

Share this:
PREV   |   NEXT   1 2  
Author Date Posted Tools
JayDee Mar 09, 2009 12:24 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Delete Image. Please use this feature thoughtfully.  Report this image 

Well the FTL team has been kicked in the hind-quarters.

Looks like the points are being zeroed out but Stanford shouldn't send WU's to anyone with that team number = It's fine if people choose to fold but this backdoor stuff needs to be put down permanently IMO...

http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/team_summary.php?s=&t=149135

Topic URL: http://forums.ncix.com/forums/topic.php?id=1971155

Tip Posting | My Postings (2585) | My Reviews (96) | My Profile | View Source | Report
loggerbomb Mar 09, 2009 12:55 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

I'm lost, someone care to explain?

Tip Posting | My Postings (1556) | My Reviews (25) | View Source | Report
Alter3d Reality Alter3d Reality Moderator Mar 09, 2009 01:18 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

I was confused too until a Google search turned this up: http://www.devhardware.com/forums/dev-folding-29/stanford-removes-team-ftl-226361.html

Tip Posting | My Postings (11810) | My Reviews (11) | My Profile | View Source | Report
m1dget haz a PII :O (AR is GAWD!) Mar 09, 2009 01:36 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

In AR's link ^

That's some nice BS of them

Tip Posting | My Postings (7424) | My Reviews (41) | View Source | Report
loggerbomb Mar 09, 2009 01:53 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Pretty smart too.

I thought it was going to be something like that. Didn't think folding would get that competitive, but than again we are talking about geeks and nerds here. I guess it would be something akin to what the Patriots did a while back. Got to get that edge, no matter what.

So, do the people who unwittingly got suckered know they are folding? Seems funny that people who would use TPB wouldn't know they got 'infected' by FeH.

Lucineri Mar 09, 2009 01:56 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Well, this explains why "Anonymous" is their top folder...

Pretty sad though that people feel the need to cheat when there is no real reward apart from helping researchers in their research.

Tip Posting | My Postings (468) | My Reviews (14) | View Source | Report
JayDee Mar 09, 2009 02:09 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like (1) | Top | Bottom

Heh... I posted in the folding forum so I didn't elaborate but ya it was/is a scam for folding points = strange eh...

Ya they didn't know.

This message was modified by the poster at 03 09, 2009 02:10 PM

Tip Posting | My Postings (2585) | My Reviews (96) | My Profile | View Source | Report
loggerbomb Mar 09, 2009 02:24 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

No, I meant have they been made aware since this news broke? Are they going to be charged or anything?

Dead Things Dead Things Vip Member Folding Team Moderator Mar 09, 2009 02:42 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

I still can't figure out why they would do this. Maybe they had some sort of sponsorship deal with a financial incentive that hinged on points. I don't know how likely that is, though. Seems totally bizarre to me that somebody would cheat just for folding points in and of themselves.

Tip Posting | My Postings (8768) | My Reviews (61) | View Source | Report
JayDee Mar 09, 2009 02:55 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

I doubt the people have been "made aware" by Stanford or anyone else because Stanford doesn't have the email of it's folders as it's completely informal. The IP's could be tracked but that would be a PITA that's reserved for major crimes I'd think.

As for getting charged there isn't any law broken as far a folding goes but I suppose the copyright cops could try to get them due to the way they chose to distribute

Adam_C NCIX.com Staff Mar 09, 2009 03:09 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Hmm this whole folding thing is getting far too egocentric and epeen-like. I suppose its all for a good cause (buying more hardware from ncix!)

Tip Posting | My Postings (6601) | My Reviews (0) | View Source | Report
l-lunter l-lunter Mar 09, 2009 03:38 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

*stares at DH and Hyperlight*

Tip Posting | My Postings (2663) | My Reviews (10) | My Profile | View Source | Report
Lucineri Mar 09, 2009 04:00 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Forgetting Dead Things there aren't we??

Tip Posting | My Postings (468) | My Reviews (14) | View Source | Report
death_hawk™ Moderator Mar 09, 2009 06:23 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

I just fold because the hardware is there (mostly) doing nothing anyway.

Granted, there's a few extra GPUs I've put towards folding, but nothing real special.

Tip Posting | My Postings (30422) | My Reviews (48) | View Source | Report
m1dget haz a PII :O (AR is GAWD!) Mar 09, 2009 06:31 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Then why not just sell the useless hardware instead of folding?

I mean fold on your main rig when its doing nothing but from that to have x k$ of equipment just to do that is a bit on the crazy side

Tip Posting | My Postings (7424) | My Reviews (41) | View Source | Report
death_hawk™ Moderator Mar 09, 2009 07:55 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

None of it is "extra" it's all be utilized in another form.

Tip Posting | My Postings (30422) | My Reviews (48) | View Source | Report
Hyperlight Moderator Mar 09, 2009 09:07 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Well I needed the comps for servers. Exchange, SQL, web, VPN ect. Well comps need video cards, so I could use crummy ones or spend a bit more and get ones that fold. Might as well since it goes to a good cause. My other "breed" of comps are LANboxes. They naturally have good vids and sit idle when there are no LANs going on, again why not fold?

Tip Posting | My Postings (12974) | My Reviews (8) | View Source | Report
AskGreg™ Mar 09, 2009 09:14 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

If it was creating that much folding, why would they make them not want to do it anymore.

Since the outcome was all good, this can now have the effect of less good happening.
Atleast thats how I see it, should of just left it alone, you can't cheat , whats been folded, regardless of those who were folding being aware they were on your team or folding at all.

Unfortunately, its about points competition to PANDE too,

I've installed and folded on computers that were not mine and without the owner being aware (my dads pc), so they should 0 out my points too then.

This message was modified by the poster at 03 09, 2009 09:28 PM

Tip Posting | My Postings (6460) | My Reviews (0) | My Profile | View Source | Report
10e Folding Team Mar 10, 2009 04:25 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Isn't this a folding thread? ;)

I don't think I'd mind if FTL did "anonymous" and "default" as their user/team, but since they did "Team FTL" I'm glad they were penalized. The work's been done, so the good has been served.

I just don't know how they are going to stop them from continuing to do it.

I guess these people/victims have never heard of "control alt delete" > task manager? I'd be curious as to why my PC is showing 20% utilization for no reason.

Either way, it's just a penalty, and they will "re-pass" the same teams they passed in the, errr, past.

This message was modified by the poster at 03 10, 2009 04:28 AM

This message was modified by the poster at 03 10, 2009 04:29 AM

Tip Posting | My Postings (921) | My Reviews (32) | View Source | Report
Zarg Vip Member Mar 10, 2009 05:10 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Installing clients on computers without the computer's owner knowing about it is illegal. The rules are quite clear about that. In some cases people have been let go because of installations on work computer. For family members and friends, it is more a matter of politeness.
edit: removed stuff that I can't confirm

This message was modified by the poster at 03 18, 2009 12:23 PM

Tip Posting | My Postings (5646) | My Reviews (26) | View Source | Report
AskGreg™ Mar 10, 2009 05:16 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Wow, had legitimate folders too 900+ of them and the whole teams points got nuked.

What if they applied the ncix team # to this trogan instead?
How would you all feel with ncix's score getting nuked to 0

Tip Posting | My Postings (6460) | My Reviews (0) | My Profile | View Source | Report
JayDee Mar 10, 2009 06:14 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

I don't look at that way at all.

If I walk up to a Salvation Army Santa and drop  $10 in the kettle that's cool but if the Santa picks my pocket and puts it in the kettle that's not cool - still the same good cause but I want it to be my decision to support it or not.
Only the government has the right to pick our pockets without consent for any purpose they desire

AskGreg™ Mar 10, 2009 08:22 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Yes, but in this case.
Team FTL had over 900 legitimate members.
and due to 1 or possible 2 members of team ftl, this has happened.
or maybe a competing team's member to get team ftl kicked out

Ratchet Mar 10, 2009 10:05 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Hey, am I the only one who stumbled into this thread thinking it was about Battlestar Galactica?

Tip Posting | My Postings (206) | My Reviews (42) | View Source | Report
Dead Things Dead Things Vip Member Folding Team Moderator Mar 10, 2009 11:25 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Yes. Just you.

Tip Posting | My Postings (8768) | My Reviews (61) | View Source | Report
10e Folding Team Mar 17, 2009 05:03 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

I agree with that, except if you were standing next to Salvation Army Santa and stealing Far Cry 2 NoCD CRACKers off the shelf and were victimized because that's where your focus was, it's really a case of two wrongs not making a right. Both are illegal, and some extremists would say "you got what you deserve".

It's too bad, because sometimes those NoCD "updates" are helpful when draconian DRM policies require a user to jump through hoops to use a game they purchased. Funny enough, the thread on FoldingForum where it was first detected, was a folder who was wondering why his machine was folding poorly :)

The reason I said I didn't mind, is because while I don't do it (and my electrical bills will reflect it), others borg work machines and family/friend machines, which is kind of a system of "bartering" help for folding points (in a sense).

So if I were to apply the same black and white mentality then I would say "no borging whatsoever", but that would be extreme and too absolute for my Canadian sensibilities :)

What Team FTL did was illegal and against F at H rules and borging is (at least) not against folding at home rules, though may (at times) be illegal if work machines are involved.

Either way, I don't think penalizing them is going to change anything. I unfortunately think they should be shut down. Really no more should be expected by team members if they are just joining a "software group" for folding anyways. FTL has been around for some time and makes some really nice .NFO files ;)

Tip Posting | My Postings (921) | My Reviews (32) | View Source | Report
Scubascythan Mar 18, 2009 11:46 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Their scheme is working. They're outputting almost as much as EVGA is, except they have five thousand users outputting under 500PPD lol. This is funny and scary at the same time. Yes it's wrong/illegal at what they're doing but shows both how much more potential processing power is out there, as well as a very vague percentage of their 'market' outreach.

Tip Posting | My Postings (588) | My Reviews (44) | View Source | Report
Preytor Vip Member Mar 18, 2009 12:05 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FTL_(Battlestar_Galactica)?

Tip Posting | My Postings (2112) | My Reviews (15) | View Source | Report
Scubascythan Mar 18, 2009 12:07 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

They're a software 'modifying' group that use the same name.

Tip Posting | My Postings (588) | My Reviews (44) | View Source | Report
JayDee Mar 18, 2009 12:50 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Quote: (10e @ Mar 17 2009, 05:03 AM)

agree with that, except if you were standing next to Salvation Army Santa and stealing Far Cry 2 NoCD CRACKers off the shelf and were victimized because that's where your focus was, it's really a case of two wrongs not making a right. Both are illegal, and some extremists would say "you got what you deserve".

It's too bad, because sometimes those NoCD "updates" are helpful when draconian DRM policies require a user to jump through hoops to use a game they purchased. Funny enough, the thread on FoldingForum where it was first detected, was a folder who was wondering why his machine was folding poorly

The reason I said I didn't mind, is because while I don't do it (and my electrical bills will reflect it), others borg work machines and family/friend machines, which is kind of a system of "bartering" help for folding points (in a sense).

So if I were to apply the same black and white mentality then I would say "no borging whatsoever", but that would be extreme and too absolute for my Canadian sensibilities

What Team FTL did was illegal and against F at H rules and borging is (at least) not against folding at home rules, though may (at times) be illegal if work machines are involved.

Either way, I don't think penalizing them is going to change anything. I unfortunately think they should be shut down. Really no more should be expected by team members if they are just joining a "software group" for folding anyways. FTL has been around for some time and makes some really nice .NFO files

Ahhh... you know that aspect of things didn't occur to me at all.
Ya you do have a point there

PREV   |   NEXT   1 2  

Icon Canadian CANADA Icon United States USA
Image Box Left Call Queue Image Box Right
Now Serving
Image Dot
Image Box Left Bottom Image Box Right Bottom
Image Box Left Avg. Response Time Image Box Right
Image dot
Estimate: 70 mins
Request Call Back
(Web Orders Only)

Bluetooth Call Me
Image Box Left

Recent Experts

Image Box Right
Image Dot
1. Mr. Friendly™ (58530)
2. Greg * NCIX.com (37200)
3. Saberon (18904)
4. justmoe1 (8368)
5. Nichole_N (84)
Image Dot
Image Box Left

All Time Experts

Image Box Right
Image Dot
1. Mr. Friendly™ (51387)
2. The Wizard (39824)
3. death_hawk™ (35144)
4. Not An Expert (26343)
5. Lance W (25246)
Image Dot

Your Order Company Info Memberships Services Hotlinks
Order Status
RMAs (Merchandise returns)
F.A.Q.
Contact Us / Store Locator
Careers
Blog
Terms & Conditions
Privacy Policy
BBB Accredited Business Profile
NCIX Rewards
Premier Partner Reseller Program
VIP Memberships
Advantage Membership
NCIX Affiliate Program
Super Shipping Saver Club
Express Coverage
Express RMA
Express Exchange and Care Coverage
Gift Cards & Balance Checker
Same-Day Delivery
Retail Financing
NCIX Newsletters
NCIX Forums
Folding @ Home Team
The Banner Vault
International Sites:  Canada
Copyright© 2017 NCIX.com/Netlink Computer Inc. All rights reserved. / Server ID: 48  562 ms
Page last updated: 06/27/2017 12:10:20