Shop by Category | Brand | Order Tracking | Customer Care | Contact Us | Wishlist | My Account |
All
  • All Departments
  • Digital Download
Cart
My Drafts
General Topics
  Tech News
  What's New
  NCIX.com Q&A
  Important Notices
  General Discussions
  Suggestions/Feedback
  Site Bug Reports
  PC Builder Workshop
  NCIX Gaming Community
  NCIX Tech Tips
  Linus Tech Tips
  NCIX Esther
  Manufacturer Support
  CPU Discussions
  Video Cards
  Power Supplies
  Folding @ Home
  Moderated
  Off Topic
  Overclocking
  Product Requests
  PC Modding
Software Topics
  Operating Systems
  Linux
  Freeware/Shareware
  Open Source Projects
  Driver Updates
Broadband Topics
  Shaw Cable
  Telus ADSL
  Speed Test Reports
FAQs
  NCIX FAQs
  Hardware FAQs
  Overclocking FAQs
  Other FAQs
  Software FAQs
Top Categories
  Blu-Ray Drives
  Bundle Deals
  Camcorders
  CD & DVD Drives
  Chromebook
  Computer Cases
  CPU Heatsinks
  DDR2 Desktop Memory
  DDR3 Desktop Memory
  Digital Cameras
  External Hard Drives
  Fans & Cooling
  Hard Drives
  HTPC Accessories
  Inkjet Printers
  Internet Routers
  Keyboards
  Laser Printers
  LCD Monitors
  Mice & Pointing Devices
  Mobile Phones
  Modding
  Motherboards
  Multi-Function Printers
  Network Adapters
  Network Storage NAS
  Network Switches
  PC Games
  PlayStation 3 Games
  Power Supplies
  Processors (CPUs)
  Scanners
  SD Secure Digital
  Solid State Drives - SSD
  Speakers & Audio
  UPS/Power Management
  USB Flash Drives
  Video Cards
  Water Cooling
  Webcams
  Wireless Accessories
  XBox 360
 LATEST TOPICS |  FORUMS » OFF TOPIC » CBC DOCZONE : GENERATION JOBLESS & BIG B...
Subject: CBC DocZone : Generation Jobless & Big Box Mart closes stores
Share this:  
PREV   |   NEXT   1 2  
Author Date Posted Tools
Analbumcover Jan 31, 2013 11:55 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Let he who is without sin cast  the first stone.

CBC DocZone is showing a documentary tonight called "Generation Jobless":

CAPITALISM!

In other news, you will see that a Big Box Mart out there is closing 12 of their stores across Canada. Quite frankly, I think all electronics retail not done online is dead. Look at NCIX. If a customer wants information, they post on the forum and forum users give out that information for FREE. Why do you even have salespeople? Then it's just a matter of doing a quick search for the lowest price.

This message was modified by the poster at 01 31, 2013 11:55 AM

This message was modified by the poster at 01 31, 2013 11:57 AM

Topic URL: http://forums.ncix.com/forums/topic.php?id=2588445

Tip Posting | My Postings (1344) | My Reviews (1) | View Source
Clucker Jan 31, 2013 12:11 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like (1) | Top | Bottom

Stop covering for people who get an Arts degree.

Tip Posting | My Postings (4328) | My Reviews (16) | View Source
Ed. Jan 31, 2013 12:36 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

This, or any number of other stupid degrees.

Tip Posting | My Postings (2370) | My Reviews (52) | View Source
derek_w Jan 31, 2013 12:38 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Plenty of people with practical degrees are unemployed or underemployed.

Some of you can blame capitalism all that you want, but at least it isn't DIRECTLY (indirect effects are a different story entirely) responsible for mass genocide of tens and tens of millions of people like communism has historically been.

As for BB & FS, there will always be room for brick & mortar chains because some commodities are too expensive to ship, and others should be purchased in person (TVs and monitors). I would never buy a TV/monitor that I couldn't easily exchange if it had defects.

Tip Posting | My Postings (1951) | My Reviews (2) | View Source
chris_b Jan 31, 2013 12:43 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like (1) | Top | Bottom

Wait. They're closing a bunch of Amazon showrooms?

Tip Posting | My Postings (1051) | My Reviews (4) | View Source
Sdalmonte Jan 31, 2013 12:50 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

I'm always at a loss as to what people with Arts degrees do...

As with everything in the world in capitalism, there is supply and demand. I'm guessing the demand for German Literature and Art History majors is very low.
In my field, Electrical Engineering, there's a major shortage of talent in Canada right now...

Just gotta go where the demand is greatest.

EDIT: It appears Sears has laid off 700 employees now. Pretty bad day for retail stores... Wonder where they're all gonna go :P

This message was modified by the poster at 01 31, 2013 12:56 PM

Tip Posting | My Postings (158) | My Reviews (16) | View Source
Yoinkerman Jan 31, 2013 01:27 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Sears hasnt changed ever since I can remember. Now that I am a working person with disposable income, I have no reason to shop there. They have done nothing to garner my interest in the 25 yr old starting a family demographic. They cater to my moms generation.

Super out of touch. Not surprising at all

Tip Posting | My Postings (5993) | My Reviews (26) | View Source
TKSS Jan 31, 2013 01:32 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Sears has been regularly laying off their employees for 30+ years.

Tip Posting | My Postings (3837) | My Reviews (8) | View Source
Greg * NCIX.com Jan 31, 2013 01:45 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

I've went into Sears looking for specific kitchenware pieces in the past few years. I've never found anything I was looking for. Went to the Bay a while ago during Christmas shopping and did find something I needed, but then it took 5 minutes to find an open register, and another 15 minutes for the clerk to ring through the whole 2 customers in front of me.

Funny thing is, Sears was the online retailer before there was such at thing as online.

Tip Posting | My Postings (23761) | My Reviews (7) | My Profile | View Source
Alter3d Reality Jan 31, 2013 02:11 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like (2) | Top | Bottom

And that's about where they've stayed, too. I bought a mattress through Sears a few years back (surprisingly, they had the best price at the time on the model I wanted), and I kid you not, the guy had to enter the order on this clunky old computer that couldn't have been newer than a 386, with a flickering monochrome screen. I offered to take the computer off his hands for $20 as a collector's item, and he just laughed and said "I wish, but when this thing doesn't work we can't sell anything".

Tip Posting | My Postings (11444) | My Reviews (11) | My Profile | View Source
death_hawk™ Jan 31, 2013 03:07 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like (1) | Top | Bottom

Oddly enough that happened to me on a Dishwasher I bought a few months back

Quote: (Alter3d Reality @ Jan 31 2013, 02:11 PM)

I kid you not, the guy had to enter the order on this clunky old computer that couldn't have been newer than a 386,

It's still there. I loled.

Tip Posting | My Postings (30404) | My Reviews (48) | View Source
Analbumcover Jan 31, 2013 04:49 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

I watched the brief trailer on the CBC website and while there is the token mention of capitalism (though never by name) the majority of the documentary seemed to focus on the education aspect as if the CBC wanted universities/colleges/etc. to guarantee a job upon completion of education. It was all blame the education system, we need reforms, blah blah blah. It was never the true cause, capitalism, even though they mention the symptoms (i.e. globalization, outsourcing, using technology to cut labour costs/jobs for more profit and never lowering prices mind you, unwillingness to invest and train young people again in the name of profits, and those who can't afford to retire for lack of pension and having to compete with young people). The fact is that we have the technology for everyone on planet Earth to have their basic necessities met. Of course, that technology is only for the benefit of the individual and for profit a la capitalism. Technology of course is not bad. It's when all the benefits of which are not shared.

Quote: (Clucker @ Jan 31 2013, 12:11 PM)

Some of you can blame capitalism all that you want, but at least it isn't DIRECTLY (indirect effects are a different story entirely) responsible for mass genocide of tens and tens of millions of people like communism has historically been.

The American colonials broke from the British because they were not allowed to own land. They got their hands on guns. Exiled the British. Took the Natives' land and never looked back. After continental USA was stolen, the Americans went on to claim the rest of the world. The Vietnam War was fought in the name of "preserving capitalism". Countless poor people died, workers abused, and land stolen in the name of capitalism. Poor people are still dying in the USA for purely material reasons in the supposedly richest nation on Earth.

employee_0141 Jan 31, 2013 05:08 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like (1) | Top | Bottom

That will never happen, too many races, religions, and people. Capitalism is not the problem, human nature is.

Tip Posting | My Postings (2175) | My Reviews (2) | View Source
Clucker Jan 31, 2013 05:16 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Reminds me of when I went to BCIT and a presenter was talking about how their degree only made like 12 bucks an hour and that they were the lucky one to find a job. Then they started talking about going to BCIT and making 28 bucks an hour after graduating from a 2 year program. If you live in the lower mainland and are stuck in a similar situation, I'd go to BCIT. Mind you, look at the job prospects before you sign up. Right now, there's enough employment in the ship building industry to last like 30 years.

Analbumcover Jan 31, 2013 06:03 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

People get sucked into the argument and place all emphasis on education or choice of education as if education were the most critical factor in gainful employment.

By the logic of supply and demand, the only reason why the successful are successful is because they were the few to choose that specific field so if everyone else then got the idea to crowd their field, then they would become a deadbeat.

So then how do you solve this problem of inflow and outflow? Keep sending people back to school that is very expensive and programs can last 4-10 years and by that time the employment picture could have changed drastically again? It's not a problem of personal choice and you people always trying to pin the blame on the little guy. It's the fact that even if you do pick the right field, education is very expensive and there is no guarantee of a job. Who has the money, time, energy, etc. to keep constantly changing fields?

This is capitalism.

Specifically, to your point about a major shortage of talent in Canada, there is no shortage of talent in Canada only an artificially created one. Countless qualified foreign individuals end up leaving Canada because they can't get their credential recognized and not from some "3rd world" country either. This includes European states. This is because the professional bodies/colleges that govern a specific field in Canada know that if they let in foreigners to do their job, their wages would be slashed. They know how to play capitalism. They also have an interest in keep domestic tuition rates high again to keep out people from coming into their field.

This message was modified by the poster at 01 31, 2013 06:08 PM

Clucker Jan 31, 2013 06:14 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like (2) | Top | Bottom

I don't know about this. You can make this argument, but the truth of the matter is that no one is suppose to hold your hand as an adult. Crap happens, you just have to deal with it. If someone bothered to go into a serious field, I doubt it that they wouldn't be able to find a job right away. Its just when people start going to school and not paying attention to the job prospects when they graduate is when there's a problem.

I don't remember anyone ever having to sign a contract that they would have to carry the little guy around if they ever made it big. Have you taken a look at our economy? It would bust the average business' budget to carry one 60k a year guy. They gotta split the salary apart to hire more people at lower wages.

NaX© Jan 31, 2013 06:21 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like (3) | Top | Bottom

Delete Image. Please use this feature thoughtfully.  Report this image 

hmm ... right

maybe the wrong choice of education
if someone takes a masters course in basket weaving and expects to have a job, obviously they are educated but not intelligent

Tip Posting | My Postings (11016) | My Reviews (40) | View Source
Yoinkerman Jan 31, 2013 10:12 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Man I see it now, you're totally right, the answer is more people in poverty!

TheMachine247 Jan 31, 2013 10:25 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Big box store closing 12 of it's locations? I'll tell you exactly why it happened.

Tip Posting | My Postings (2933) | My Reviews (32) | View Source
Alter3d Reality Jan 31, 2013 10:30 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

To misquote Churchill, "capitalism is the worst form of economic system, except for all of the others that have been tried from time to time".

I was debating an issue of politics the other day with a good friend. As often happens, we fundamentally agree on the core issues, but where we get a good debate going is over the actual implementation of things. Anyways, he asked me a question about my position on the topic at hand, and we kicked off a debate around it, because he disagreed with my solution to the problem. After about 15 minutes, he made some point of his own, ostensibly to support his position, and I just said "Do you realize that the argument you've just constructed actually agrees with the position on which I predicated this debate?" (This was over IM, so it was even easy to go back and read what I'd typed). He came back and said ".... so it does. Hmm..." Then there was about 2 minutes of silence. Then he typed "I disagree with you... but I can't think of a better alternative."

That's kind of what democracy and capitalism are like. Everybody whines and moans about how crappy the system is, blah blah blah, then when you say "Propose a system that will actually work in real life to replace it", you get crickets. It's the best of a bad lot of choices.

Tip Posting | My Postings (11444) | My Reviews (11) | My Profile | View Source
Yoinkerman Jan 31, 2013 10:45 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

It was a comment on the pay 4 people garbage wage or pay one dude something he can live on.

Here's a for instance, Save On's wage % has been about 22-25% of their cost in each store since forever(the early 90s anyway). That's going from paying people good wages they can raise families on and have nice things to now, where they pay kids in high school to basically show up and be a warm body.

Their customer service has arguably gone down.

Instead of hiring one guy 40 hours a week they hire 4 people 10 hours a week. (one shift they'll call in sick anyway)

Instead of having people that care about their jobs and doing good work and making a career they have warm bodies that don't even care.

They used to be able to make 80% margin on basically anything that isn't stocked on a shelf, producing high quality stuff made by real people with real jobs. Now everything comes in made somewhere else and the quality is garbage.

Here's the kicker.

They pay the same amount in wages. They pay MORE in product costs, and earn less in return. In the name of what? It's like they hire people at minimum wage and wonder why quality drops and they have to bring in prepackaged stuff.

There's no reason why everyone has to be wage slaves.

Clucker Jan 31, 2013 11:33 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Here comes in Wal Mart and such. People start to head there instead of your local Save On because the prices are cheaper there. About 90% of the people out there will follow this trend. Then Save On makes less money and in turn, they lower the wages to stay competitive. Didn't we all go to Zellers for cheap stuff before Wal Mart came in? Look at what happened when better competition came in.

Babaghan Feb 01, 2013 04:04 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Not me! That store was crowded and junky. I did my shopping elsewhere. I snapped this picture just after the Langley store vacated.

Tip Posting | My Postings (7303) | My Reviews (80) | My Profile | View Source
Cheakamus Feb 01, 2013 04:35 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

and bring in the fillipinos and mexicans because they are willing to live 20 in a house working for minimum wage while the locals barely make it sharing rent.

Tip Posting | My Postings (533) | My Reviews (0) | View Source
Analbumcover Feb 01, 2013 06:34 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like (2) | Top | Bottom

Contrary to the popular propaganda capitalism does not encourage the best practices nor does it elevate the living standards of everyone. It is a "race to the bottom". Who among the working class is willing to sacrifice the most for the individual profit of the capitalist. You are? Then you get "rewarded" by the capitalist with a job (oh yeah, as if all I ever wanted to do in life was work) which you should be ever grateful for. Just like stopping products from being made in China will just move production to other countries like Vietnam, Cambodia, Philippines, etc.

Cheakamus Feb 01, 2013 08:13 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like (1) | Top | Bottom

did a McJob for a year right after high school, glad to be out of there. I've got nothing against my fellow workers who are nice people. We're just happened to be caught in the same globalization machine.

Tip Posting | My Postings (533) | My Reviews (0) | View Source
d2frm Feb 01, 2013 11:54 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like (1) | Top | Bottom

What happened to Office Place anyways? (sells office supplies and stuff like EasyButton) Only thing I knew was it kinda went out of business.

Tip Posting | My Postings (2626) | My Reviews (7) | View Source
d2frm Feb 01, 2013 12:01 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like (1) | Top | Bottom

That looks like one of the Zellers stores a few blocks from my house, actually.

Another Zellers store at the Yonge/Steeles mall here closed down, then a month later I saw BIG RED DOT over its construction coverings...

Tip Posting | My Postings (2626) | My Reviews (7) | View Source
Zer0 Feb 01, 2013 12:05 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like (1) | Top | Bottom

They didn't go out of business, only shut down the Canadian brick and mortar stores. Webstore still up as well as stores in the US.

Tip Posting | My Postings (8251) | My Reviews (181) | My Profile | View Source
Analbumcover Feb 01, 2013 02:56 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like (1) | Top | Bottom

Just call it what it is, jeez. It's capitalism. No shame in admitting you were suckered.

"I help everyone by being a greedy SOB." That's how the scam is sold. Sounds greats. Sure people want to believe and we can't blame them but it's false.

PREV   |   NEXT   1 2  

Call Queue
Now Serving
Closed
Avg. Response Time
Closed
Request Call Back
(Web Orders Only)

Recent Experts
1. Greg * NCIX.com (33131)
2. Saberon (15226)
3. Spork™ (13961)
4. MasterFuji (916)
5. joel f (562)
All Time Experts
1. Mr. Friendly™ (51387)
2. The Wizard (39824)
3. death_hawk™ (35144)
4. Not An Expert (26343)
5. Lance W (25246)

Your Order Company Info Memberships Services Hotlinks
Order Status
RMAs (Merchandise returns)
F.A.Q.
Contact Us / Store Locator
Careers
Terms & Conditions
Privacy Policy
NCIX Rewards
Premier Partner Reseller Program
VIP Memberships
Advantage Membership
Affiliate Program
Super Shipping Saver Club
Express Coverage
Express RMA
Express Shipping Service
Express Exchange and Care Coverage
Gift Cards & Balance Checker
Advanced Store Price Match
Black Friday Sale
Boxing Week Sale
NCIX Newsletters
NCIX Forums
Folding @ Home Team
The Banner Vault
International Sites:  Canada
Get the best discount computers online for online computer shopping and discount PC computer components as well as notebook computers, laptops and Canada custom computers for the best deals on computers.
NCIX.com provides Canada the best priced computers in the country for computer components and computer parts and computer accessories with the best online computer store in Canada for your personal and business computer needs.
At NCIX you can build your own computer online as well as search for the cheapest and best video cards, computer processors and CPUs, motherboards computer memory RAM, ssd and hard drives with the fastest shipping in Canada and the US.
So for discount computers online NCIX provides the cheapest digital cameras, printers, motherboards, flash memory, PC speakers and computer electronics with the best Canadian computer and Canadian online computer shopping website in the world.

NCIX.com is powered by Intel® Xeon® Quad Core Processors
Copyright© 2014 NCIX.com/Netlink Computer Inc. All rights reserved. S / Server ID:74 20141024055141  250 ms