Shop by Category | Brand | Order Tracking | Customer Care | Contact Us | Wishlist | My Account |
All
  • All Departments
  • Digital Download
Cart
My Drafts
General Topics
  Tech News
  What's New
  NCIX.com Q&A
  Important Notices
  General Discussions
  Suggestions/Feedback
  Site Bug Reports
  PC Builder Workshop
  NCIX Gaming Community
  NCIX Tech Tips
  Linus Tech Tips
  NCIX Esther
  Manufacturer Support
  CPU Discussions
  Video Cards
  Power Supplies
  Folding @ Home
  Moderated
  Off Topic
  Overclocking
  Product Requests
  PC Modding
Software Topics
  Operating Systems
  Linux
  Freeware/Shareware
  Open Source Projects
  Driver Updates
Broadband Topics
  Shaw Cable
  Telus ADSL
  Speed Test Reports
FAQs
  NCIX FAQs
  Hardware FAQs
  Overclocking FAQs
  Other FAQs
  Software FAQs
Top Categories
  Blu-Ray Drives
  Bundle Deals
  Camcorders
  CD & DVD Drives
  Chromebook
  Computer Cases
  CPU Heatsinks
  DDR2 Desktop Memory
  DDR3 Desktop Memory
  Digital Cameras
  External Hard Drives
  Fans & Cooling
  Hard Drives
  HTPC Accessories
  Inkjet Printers
  Internet Routers
  Keyboards
  Laser Printers
  LCD Monitors
  Mice & Pointing Devices
  Mobile Phones
  Modding
  Motherboards
  Multi-Function Printers
  Network Adapters
  Network Storage NAS
  Network Switches
  PC Games
  Power Supplies
  Processors (CPUs)
  PS3 Games
  Scanners
  SD Secure Digital
  Solid State Drives - SSD
  Speakers & Audio
  UPS/Power Management
  USB Flash Drives
  Video Cards
  Water Cooling
  Webcams
  Wireless Accessories
  XBox 360
 LATEST TOPICS |  FORUMS » OFF TOPIC » GETTING CLOSER TO NO 12-13 NHL SEASON! W...
Subject: RE: Getting closer to no 12-13 NHL season! Woot!
Share this:  
PREV   |   NEXT   1 2  
Author Date Posted Tools
Comfortably Numb Dec 22, 2012 07:27 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like (2) | Top | Bottom

I'm no fan of the man either, he has all the grace of an ambulance chaser but he was hired by the owners and answers to them, period. If they don't like his tactics, he's gone. Fact is, the NHL is a business and he's good for business. Annual league revenues have increased by 8 or 9 times in the twenty years he's been commissioner.

Hockey fans are a pretty loyal bunch, once this dispute is finally settled they'll be back because there's a lot more than just the players and owners that depend on it, like the local sports report which is a lame duck without the NHL at this time of year.

Tip Posting | My Postings (567) | My Reviews (19) | View Source
Cannon Fodder Dec 22, 2012 09:16 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like (2) | Top | Bottom

Sure, he answers to them, but my point was that he's highly unlikely in that position just to do their bidding and take the flack, i.e. he was most likely hired because he had ideas on how to increase league revenues that the owners liked, and I expect he's a major part of any brainstorming they do, as opposed to simply a "hired gun" the owners are sending out to take out the opposition.

Quote: (Comfortably Numb @ Dec 22 2012, 07:27 PM)

If they don't like his tactics, he's gone.

Although I'm sure it could go either way, as I mentioned earlier, I wouldn't be surprised at all if he was gone in the semi-near future, i.e. I think there's probably several owners that are as pissed with the situation as the players & the fans are.

Quote: (Comfortably Numb @ Dec 22 2012, 07:27 PM)

Fact is, the NHL is a business and he's good for business. Annual league revenues have increased by 8 or 9 times in the twenty years he's been commissioner.

Admittedly, I haven't paid close enough attention to the whole thing, because this happening for a 3rd time in recent years is complete BS as far as I'm concerned, and I have heard that league revenues are up, but was that a typo, i.e. did you mean revenues have gone up 8 or 9 times in 20 yrs., or did you mean they've "increased by 8 or 9 times? If the latter, have you got a link to some info, because that number seems hard to believe?

Tip Posting | My Postings (6873) | My Reviews (107) | View Source
grumpy1 Dec 23, 2012 01:00 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Seems like your one of the sheep the players are counting on believing there bs.
League revenue and profits are two different things. By all accounts the league as a whole made less than $300 million in profits. And 3 teams made up over half of that.

Tip Posting | My Postings (3516) | My Reviews (24) | View Source
Choub890 Dec 23, 2012 06:49 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

That doesn't mean that the owners should get more money though. Have you ever thought that it was abnormal for ~10 teams to be always in deficit year after year after year? To me, that points to another problem than the greed of the players to get more money.

Tip Posting | My Postings (531) | My Reviews (32) | View Source
grumpy1 Dec 23, 2012 08:12 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Hockey is a gate driven sport. Some teams can charge lots but most cant. A $54 million dollar cap floor is why there are so many teams losing money. The poor teams cant afford to spend that much.

Analbumcover Dec 23, 2012 09:09 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

You're a stupid f'ing moron talking out of his*****
Of course, it based on revenue on profit. It's not up to the players how the league spends their money. If they want to blow all their money trying to establish teams in desert, the players have no say in that.
Are you going to tie your wage to your employer's profits, you dumb ignorant idiot? I can guarantee that the next day your employer will declare  zero profits because of all of the "business" related expenses that somehow mysteriously wound up in his home.

Tip Posting | My Postings (1344) | My Reviews (1) | View Source
grumpy1 Dec 23, 2012 09:25 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Name another business where employees get 57% of an employers revenue.

Analbumcover Dec 23, 2012 09:43 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

You're a special kind of stupid aren't you?
What does that have to do with anything? So someone else has to have done it first before the NHL can? They couldn't have negotiated that on their own? And yes, other pro sports did have it above 50-50 in favour of the players before the owners busted them down.

grumpy1 Dec 23, 2012 09:58 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Take it easy tough guy.

Analbumcover Dec 23, 2012 10:46 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

You guys are reading the situation completely wrong.
It's the owners that are being controlled by a small clique supportive of Bettman. The league is pulling in record revenue so most teams are doing quite well. It's a small greedy capitalist group surrounding Bettman that want to get even more money. The owners played their hand because their proposal was not even 50-50 split which is the case in most NA pro sports. The owners want the players' share below 50 in the mid 40's. So everyone knows who's greedy and unreasonable.
The players are supportive of their stance. No breaks in rank. Very recently the players voted overwhelming (something like 97%) to dissolve the union. Dissolve the union does that mean the players think the union is doing a bad job? No. Dissolving the union means players can individually sue the NHL/owners. They don't have to bargain through the NHLPA. Lots of players intend to because of the slash in their salary.
Owners are screwed and they are bleeding money. They know just as well as everyone else that sports entertainment and entertainment in general is global. Every day more people become die hard of other venues like MMA, European football, racing, MLS, etc. No shortage of entertainment. It just takes time to build the fan base.

Lariat06 Dec 23, 2012 11:28 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

While this might not go with the argument, but most teams in the NHL are NOT doing quite well.
17 Teams in the league only break even or lose money ( 9 of them losing money )

If the NHL wants to do better, they need to fold some of these crappy teams and weed out the bum players from the talent pool. ( or at least move a couple teams to some profitable/interested areas )

There's no reason why a handful of very well off teams ( due to fan support ) should pay the way for a bunch of southern American teams that can't pay people to watch games.

Tip Posting | My Postings (330) | My Reviews (1) | View Source
Analbumcover Dec 23, 2012 12:13 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Some sports writers are saying the real problem that while the NHL as a whole is making good money, it's like you said the top profitable teams not wanting to share the money with the poorer teams. That is a problem entirely on the owners/NHL part with nothing to do with the players. The players have no say in who gets to have a franchise, which cities are profitable, or whether it's a good idea to have a hockey team in the desert.
The owners can either remove or raise the cap that the richer teams have to share or get rid of the poorer teams. Instead, they got together like a gang and figured they could collectively slash the players' salaries to make up for their shortcomings and failings as businessmen.
And you know what? A lot of these sports franchises are subsidized by the local municipality which is obviously unfair to the taxpayer that can't even afford to watch the games. So if these owners can't make it even with subsidies they can go to hell. Local municipalities also provide the subsidies on the basis that hockey is actually being played so if the municipalities had some balls they would sue the owners for the lockout or at least try to recoup some of those subsidies.

This message was modified by the poster at 12 23, 2012 12:22 PM

grumpy1 Dec 23, 2012 12:29 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Maybe you should call up Bettman and wow him with all your awesome business ideas.

Aix Dec 23, 2012 04:34 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like (1) | Top | Bottom

It's like you think you're a mob boss running the show...except you're a couch potato going off on a computer store's forum over a collective bargaining process you aren't involved in. Hilarious agro!

Tip Posting | My Postings (1290) | My Reviews (7) | View Source
Comfortably Numb Dec 23, 2012 08:44 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like (1) | Top | Bottom

I meant what I said, revenues have increased by 8 or 9 times from $400 Million when Bettman was hired in 1993 to $3.3 Billion last year. References:

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/indepth/cba/who/bettman_gary.html
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2012/05/30/grange_bettman_large_revenues_nhl/

Quote: (Cannon Fodder @ Dec 22 2012, 09:16 PM)

Sure, he answers to them, but my point was that he's highly unlikely in that position just to do their bidding and take the flack, i.e. he was most likely hired because he had ideas on how to increase league revenues that the owners liked, and I expect he's a major part of any brainstorming they do, as opposed to simply a "hired gun" the owners are sending out to take out the opposition.

Agreed, we're kinda' arguing different shades of grey here. I think Bettman is more of a lightning rod due to the public image that media reporting has created. He certainly shares the blame for the situation the NHL finds itself in, but ultimate responsibility rests with the majority of owners that discreetly and privately keep him in place. If the owners persist with their position to the point of forcing the players to disolve the NHLPA and lose the battle in litigation, following the same pattern as the NBA and NFL, Bettman is likely to be sacrificed; albeit with a juicy severance package.

Quote: (Cannon Fodder @ Dec 22 2012, 09:16 PM)

Admittedly, I haven't paid close enough attention to the whole thing, because this happening for a 3rd time in recent years is complete BS as far as I'm concerned

I'm not the fan I once was for exactly that reason. It really dirties the whole notion of competitive sports, even at the professional level, when money is the defining factor. :(

Tip Posting | My Postings (567) | My Reviews (19) | View Source
Cannon Fodder Dec 24, 2012 10:16 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Just came across an article on the Montreal Gazette web site, and since a portion of it is about the topic of this thread, here's a little copy & paste, for those that are interested:
===================================================

"Happy 100th Day! Monday marks the 100th day of Gary Bettman’s Unnecessary Lockout. Are we having fun yet, kiddies?

At this point, we’re hoping for a shutdown. Blow it up and start over, without a half-dozen dead-weight teams and the man Larry Brooks calls the Canceler-in-Chief, because if Bettman announces the cancellation of a second full season, he should announce his own resignation at the same time.

If the deal you killed a season to get was so bad that you had to kill another entire season to get a different deal, then I’m sorry, but you’re an idiot. If the owners have a shred of intestinal fortitude, they’ll tell Bettman not to let the door hit him on the way out.

Because Gary Bettman has done the impossible: He’s made it look like the NHL would have been better off with Gil Stein."

Tip Posting | My Postings (6873) | My Reviews (107) | View Source
Analbumcover Dec 24, 2012 10:33 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

PREV   |   NEXT   1 2  

Call Queue
Now Serving
Avg. Response Time
Estimate: 53 mins
Request Call Back
(Web Orders Only)

Recent Experts
1. Alter3d Reality (17203)
2. Saberon (14943)
3. Spork™ (13690)
4. DJZ (6922)
5. Rebecca_M (259)
All Time Experts
1. Mr. Friendly™ (51387)
2. The Wizard (39824)
3. death_hawk™ (35144)
4. Not An Expert (26343)
5. Lance W (25246)

Your Order Company Info Memberships Services Hotlinks
Order Status
RMAs (Merchandise returns)
F.A.Q.
Contact Us / Store Locator
Careers
Terms & Conditions
Privacy Policy
NCIX Rewards
Premier Partner Reseller Program
VIP Memberships
Advantage Membership
Affiliate Program
Express Coverage
Express RMA
Express Shipping Service
Express Exchange and Care Coverage
Gift Cards & Balance Checker
NCIX Newsletters
NCIX Forums
Folding @ Home Team
The Banner Vault
International Sites:  Canada
Get the best discount computers online for online computer shopping and discount PC computer components as well as notebook computers, laptops and Canada custom computers for the best deals on computers.
NCIX.com provides Canada the best priced computers in the country for computer components and computer parts and computer accessories with the best online computer store in Canada for your personal and business computer needs.
At NCIX you can build your own computer online as well as search for the cheapest and best video cards, computer processors and CPUs, motherboards computer memory RAM, ssd and hard drives with the fastest shipping in Canada and the US.
So for discount computers online NCIX provides the cheapest digital cameras, printers, motherboards, flash memory, PC speakers and computer electronics with the best Canadian computer and Canadian online computer shopping website in the world.

NCIX.com is powered by Intel® Xeon® Quad Core Processors
Copyright© 2014 NCIX.com/Netlink Computer Inc. All rights reserved. S / Server ID:74 20140731164053  2233 ms