AR & MR.FRIENDLY, LET'S TALK COFFEE ...
Subject:

AR & mr.friendly, let's talk coffee part deux

Share this:
PREV   |   NEXT   1 2 3 4 5 6  
Author Date Posted Tools
justmoe1 justmoe1 Dec 26, 2011 09:21 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

It has been almost a year since Mr.friendly started the AR, let's talk coffee some more thread. Many of us have gone and spent money on coffee hardware.

I am now wondering what we have learned since last february.

1. your favorite affordable burr grinder.
2. your favorite method of brewing.
3. your favorite brewer.
and anything else that might come to mind.

For me the bodum santos ended up being a complete failure as the globe exploded after 2 months. so i have settled on a cheap bodum french press. I am grinding with a Baratza Maestro which is ok but not the best.

Also, I thought i would let you know that the idrinkcoffee website is paying all taxes for boxing week. and they have the Behmor 1600 for 350.00.

This message was modified by the poster at 12 26, 2011 09:21 AM

This message was modified by the poster at 12 26, 2011 03:25 PM

Topic URL: http://forums.ncix.com/forums/topic.php?id=2453216

Tip Posting | My Postings (7768) | My Reviews (21) | View Source | Report
NaX© NaX© Moderator Dec 26, 2011 09:57 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

hmm ... coffee
first thing that comes to mind is this

http://fliiby.com/file/1082903/7glaycypxay.html

Tip Posting | My Postings (11875) | My Reviews (41) | View Source | Report
MP41 MP41 Vip Member Dec 26, 2011 10:01 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

My morning coffee:
Brand name Lavazza or Illy both are italian made and theyre THE BEST !!
Using Cusimart Espresso Maker 450$ !!!

Thats my coffee.

Cheers
Marco

Tip Posting | My Postings (662) | My Reviews (112) | My Profile | View Source | Report
Stan_P Dec 26, 2011 10:10 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Lavazza here too, out of my 30 year old classic italian espresso maker... I don't know what they're called but I seen them a lot. silver, black plastic handle...it works, and i thoroughly enjoy my coffee!

Tip Posting | My Postings (1151) | My Reviews (10) | View Source | Report
Mr. Friendly™ [CGN] Mr. Friendly™ [CGN] Dec 26, 2011 01:59 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

1. best affordable burr grinder
affordability, in this case would hinge entirely on how important your coffee is. cheapest grinder I would buy would be something from Baratza (
http://www.baratzallc.com/). I currently have the Vario...and probably will upgrade to the new model that includes a scale.

2. best method of brewing
there is no 'best' method...but there is the way you enjoy making coffee the most. each and every person will be different in this, and that's obvious from the bazillion different ways you can brew coffee. I really enjoy using my Chemex. but I also enjoy a french press and my aeropress.

3. best brewer
it's generally accepted that the Technivorm (hand assembled drip machines from Holland) is the 'best' brewer, but again, like best method of brewing, there are bazillions of options in each category of brewing to choose from...so again, there are too many limiting factors to cover.

4. anything else that comes to mind
well, the most important part of the coffee prep is the grind, so even if you use a $30 Chemex like me, ensure you have the $500 grinder. to grind the coffee bean uniformly require precision craftmanship, which means a more expensive device due to the time/effort taken to design and build it. second bit would be the water...whether it's got too much minerals, not enough or whether it's too hot, too cold etc. so many variables....it's as bad as wine!

Tip Posting | My Postings (35499) | My Reviews (76) | View Source | Report
Mr. Friendly™ [CGN] Mr. Friendly™ [CGN] Dec 26, 2011 02:05 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

here are two gift guides recently posted on www.coffeegeek.com that you can use to help base purchases you're close to making:

Under $75:
http://coffeegeek.com/opinions/coffeeatthemoment/12-08-2011

Over $75:
http://coffeegeek.com/opinions/coffeeatthemoment/12-10-2011

This message was modified by the poster at 02 08, 2017 10:31 AM

justmoe1 justmoe1 Dec 26, 2011 03:25 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

this time round i may just budget for around 500.00 total with the major purchase as the roaster. i will probably just by a Maestro Plus and a thermos style french press like the bodum colombia. 1 big purchase at a time. the roaster will be a great addition i think.

p.s. i edited the original post from best to favorite.

This message was modified by the poster at 12 26, 2011 03:26 PM

Mr. Friendly™ [CGN] Mr. Friendly™ [CGN] Dec 26, 2011 04:57 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

getting a good french press will make an excellent coffee. one type of coffee maker you might enjoy is the AeroPress: http://www.aeropress.ca/

justmoe1 justmoe1 Dec 26, 2011 05:06 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

might try it out. they sell it at the store i mentioned above tax free. will add to order.

This message was modified by the poster at 12 26, 2011 05:07 PM

Mr. Friendly™ [CGN] Mr. Friendly™ [CGN] Dec 26, 2011 05:27 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

well, I see they do have the AeroPress. you might also want to consider a Chemex. you need to get a kettle with a curved spout tho...and while it takes some time, it comes out with one of the best coffee's I've ever had!

have you thought about venturing into the world of espresso?

justmoe1 justmoe1 Dec 26, 2011 06:03 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Delete Image. Please use this feature thoughtfully.  Report this image 

not right away. my main goal is to make coffee and enough for a couple large coffee cups(24oz total). i have changed my mind and put the roaster on hold. i am going to invest in a grinder first. i am thinking of getting a rocky which is what i used back in my barista days.

just realized with this, a bodum colombia, and the aeropress i am saving over 50.00 in taxes and shipping is free!

This message was modified by the poster at 12 26, 2011 06:05 PM

Calypso Calypso Dec 26, 2011 06:10 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

IMO, a French press is number 1. It takes work though because you have to keep that sucker crystal clean, or suffer contamination, resulting in bitter tasting coffee.
I'd never get one of those bar code brewers, whatever they're called.
One day it breaks, and you don't remember how to make good coffee.
Then you buy another one!

Tip Posting | My Postings (5095) | My Reviews (31) | View Source | Report
Mr. Friendly™ [CGN] Mr. Friendly™ [CGN] Dec 27, 2011 10:23 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

so let's do a quick recap...

the most important part of your coffee equipment is the grinder. as I mentioned earlier, it takes extreme precision to have a uniform grind. but a caveat...just because a grinder is 'expensive' doesn't necessarily mean it's good. research needs to be done. that said, it's well known in the coffee community that the Baratza Vario is considered the best unit available that can produce grinds for all sorts of coffee brewing methods from simple drips to the highly sensitive espresso. espresso is so sensitive to grind that most people have a $1000 grinder dedicated just for it!

the second would be your water. the mineral content will affect the flavor, but just as importantly is how hot the water is. unfortunately, most coffee machines do not heat the water enough for the purpose of extracting the flavor from the bean.

third would be the coffee bean itself. the coffee bean is an amazing item, as what most of us drink is considered to be stale, and even still, it's so flavorful! so...beans that are 14 days old, from the time of roasting (2 days of carbon dioxide off-gassing included) are considered to be stale. 15 minutes from grinding the bean, the grind is considered stale. most of you don't want to pay for fresh beans, or do what's necessary to create  fresh roasts...but let me tell you, it's as simple as owning a popcorn maker dedicated to just that task! it can be very simple!

lastly...the method of brewing. if you have a good grind and a good bean and hot enough water, anything you brew, no matter how it's brewed, should be great!

I plan on buying one of those 8 cup Bunn Phase Brewers...but before that, I'm thinking of getting one of those new Hamilton Beach The Scoop coffee makers. it can brew up to 14oz in 2 minutes time. I believe they're on sale at Cambodian Tire for $53 currently as well.

now this is highly simplified

The Great Gazoo™ The Great Gazoo™ Dec 27, 2011 12:10 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Very true of most home brewers. 195F - 205F is ideal and should not fluctuate during the average brew cycle. If it is too high then it can extract too much from the beans and it can be acidic and bitter.

Remember the three T's of the brewing process for great coffee - Time, Temperature and Turbulence.

The Bunn brewers are very well constructed and work very well.

Tip Posting | My Postings (1322) | My Reviews (146) | My Profile | View Source | Report
1oath Dec 27, 2011 12:29 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

nuff said jk

Tip Posting | My Postings (2175) | My Reviews (2) | View Source | Report
justmoe1 justmoe1 Dec 27, 2011 12:48 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

I did consider the Vario but I am getting a good deal on the rocky which also gets a good review. they both have the flat burr instead of the conical but are in a price range not normally occupied by flat conical grinders. the one thing i like about the rocky is it will last forever due to its build quality. it does not have the settings of the vario though.

water is an issue not easily fixed for me. space is an issue where i live. best i can do is buy bottled or use filter.

i buy my coffee from jj bean who put a roast date on their bags. due to their size they roast a couple times a week. i try to buy beans within 2 days of the roast date.

check LD for your coffee makers. they have sales all the time. main reason for wanting the bodum colombia is it is a thermos and i hate coffee that has cooled. i might take a stab at vacuum again but not bodum.

one day i will find a way to fit even a small espresso machine in my tiny apartment.

p.s. if you ever do wander past a jjbean they only do french press now and use a timer to keep track it. may not be the best but nobody has better baking.

This message was modified by the poster at 12 27, 2011 12:49 PM

Mr. Friendly™ [CGN] Mr. Friendly™ [CGN] Dec 27, 2011 01:06 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

I have nothing against french pressed coffee...in fact I have one and many years ago, it was my mainstay device.

that said, if you have easy access to the outdoors, grab a popcorn maker that's been dedicated to the task of roasting beans and see what you can come up with! check out this link here:
http://www.sweetmarias.com/airpop/airpopmethod.php

Greg S Dec 27, 2011 01:19 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

I've gotten hooked over the last year, going from drinking lattes to freshly roasted coffee prepared at home, and always black. :)

1. Baratza Maestro for me.
2. Hard to say. I've become a real fan of French press, which is brilliant for darker roasts, but a vacpot is amazing for lighter and more delicate roasts (but takes a lot of time to prep). Aeropress is also interesting, and great for travel.

So far I've been drinking a lot of single origin beans, and a few blends. I plan on branching out into roasting beans myself next year.

Tip Posting | My Postings (1522) | My Reviews (12) | View Source | Report
Mr. Friendly™ [CGN] Mr. Friendly™ [CGN] Dec 27, 2011 01:50 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

some pre-roasted single origin's I'm enjoying right now are from Doi Chaang Coffee. it's not cheap...about $17/lb, but this is explained by it being fare trade. you can buy a few different types from Safeway, or buy directly from www.doichaangcoffee.com.

so far, everyone that's had it from my Chemex has said it's the best coffee they've ever had!   B)

This message was modified by the poster at 02 08, 2017 10:32 AM

justmoe1 justmoe1 Dec 27, 2011 02:06 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

when i get back from trip i will run over to LD and pick up a popper. Have a full sized patio. while i am in edmonton i will pick up a few pounds at transcend.

Dot Merix Dec 27, 2011 02:14 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Just throwing this in for you guys to maybe try out:

http://www.coffeesofhawaii.com/catalog/product/52 - Kona Nightingale (100% Kona) really good for Coffee.

Or my favorite (because I like to make Cafe Lattes/Cappucinos) is their Hawaiian Espresso:
http://www.coffeesofhawaii.com/catalog/product/1

I pretty much ONLY order from these guys now. You can use discount code COFFEE10 to get 10% off too.

I hear a lot of people really like the Peaberry but I have not tried that one yet.

This message was modified by the poster at 12 27, 2011 02:14 PM

Tip Posting | My Postings (1486) | My Reviews (24) | View Source | Report
Mr. Friendly™ [CGN] Mr. Friendly™ [CGN] Dec 27, 2011 02:59 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

coffee is cheap...don't 'wait' till you're at Transcend to buy some! just make sure you buy more than $20, cause then they ship it to you for free. and if you haven't bought one yet, get yourself a Chemex...and then grab a Coava Kone 2 (they advertise it as the next generation).
not sure where you can buy the newest iteration in Canada, but here's the makers website:
http://coava.myshopify.com/collections/frontpage/products/kone.

I want to get some of those Hario V60 brewers too...they come in various sizes, so they should each make a different flavor of coffee!

and there is some good Hawaii Kona coffee out there...same for Jamaican Blue Mountain.
it's easy to source Kona for a reasonable price...not so much for the JBM tho.

justmoe1 justmoe1 Dec 27, 2011 03:43 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

sort of stuck ordering anything online as i will not be home until the 5th. there is a nice mom and pop presence in edmonton for coffee so will probably have no problems finding stuff there as well. all i do when i visit there is shop since there is no pst. i travel light so can bring back lots of stuff.

This message was modified by the poster at 12 27, 2011 03:48 PM

Mr. Friendly™ [CGN] Mr. Friendly™ [CGN] Dec 27, 2011 08:35 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

well, don't forget to bring home a Chemex!

Mr. Friendly™ [CGN] Mr. Friendly™ [CGN] Dec 28, 2011 05:06 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

BEHOLD...THE SCOOP by HB™.

On sale at CDN Tire for $53!  

testing it out as we speak....

http://www.hamiltonbeach.ca/hb_detail.php?item=49981C&fc=&catID=89

This message was modified by the poster at 12 28, 2011 05:10 PM

The Great Gazoo™ The Great Gazoo™ Dec 28, 2011 05:19 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

That thing looks awesome. What does it use for a filtre? Metal or paper?

Tip Posting | My Postings (1322) | My Reviews (146) | My Profile | View Source | Report
Calypso Calypso Dec 28, 2011 05:40 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

I like the Chemex thingy, that's cool. Like I said, I'll never buy another appliance
that makes coffee. As for the popcorn maker? Hmm! I guess one more appliance just for roasting beans wouldn't be too bad! Thanks for the heads up. Just to add. When ever I brew some up, I'll pull the kettle off the stove and count to 4 before I pour. I've found hard boiling water can leave a burnt taste.

This message was modified by the poster at 12 28, 2011 05:45 PM

Mr. Friendly™ [CGN] Mr. Friendly™ [CGN] Dec 28, 2011 06:50 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

hey Gazoo...I like it so far. I've made two decaf cups (too late at night to have a regular)...so it's not giving me quite the expected flavor profile, I'm new to decaf brewing, but it's hot, damned hot! It's entire outside is stainless steel, with the usual plastic internals. small foot print too. I'm impressed.

Calypso...you can actually buy kettles now that heat the water to 204 degrees F, which is the ideal temp for coffee flavor extraction. they run about $99 on sale. at the same time, you could get a thermometer for your kettle and monitor your temperature more closely, if you want to see what effect it would have on your cup.

there are two model's you can buy at L0ND0N DRUG5 for $20 each. I'm not sure which one is better, so I'll probably buy them both and see which I like most. at $20, it's hard to lose!

Calypso Calypso Dec 28, 2011 07:45 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Boiling point of water, at sea level is 212 degrees F. I live at sea level, that's a hair too hot! I will continue counting to 4, now maybe 5.

Mr. Friendly™ [CGN] Mr. Friendly™ [CGN] Dec 28, 2011 07:48 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

your coffee brewing technique is flawed. same as mine   but flawed...  

edit - on, I should also point out that the The Scoop has a dual metallic filter. w/o the paper filter one expects to use, the amount of 'grit' or fines that get through is very very limited. I'm impressed. that said, if you find it a problem still, you could always use the AeroPress filters. you can buy 100 for cheap, so it could work out well!

This message was modified by the poster at 12 28, 2011 07:48 PM

PREV   |   NEXT   1 2 3 4 5 6  

Icon Canadian CANADA Icon United States USA
Image Box Left Call Queue Image Box Right
Now Serving
Closed
Image Dot
Image Box Left Bottom Image Box Right Bottom
Image Box Left Avg. Response Time Image Box Right
Image dot
Closed
Request Call Back
(Web Orders Only)

Bluetooth Call Me
Image Box Left

Recent Experts

Image Box Right
Image Dot
1. Mr. Friendly™ (58346)
2. Greg * NCIX.com (37107)
3. Spork™ (16369)
4. Calypso (5531)
5. Nichole_N (41)
Image Dot

Your Order Company Info Memberships Services Hotlinks
Order Status
RMAs (Merchandise returns)
F.A.Q.
Contact Us / Store Locator
Careers
Blog
Terms & Conditions
Privacy Policy
BBB Accredited Business Profile
NCIX Rewards
Premier Partner Reseller Program
VIP Memberships
Advantage Membership
NCIX Affiliate Program
Super Shipping Saver Club
Express Coverage
Express RMA
Express Shipping Service
Express Exchange and Care Coverage
Gift Cards & Balance Checker
Same-Day Delivery
Retail Financing
NCIX Newsletters
NCIX Forums
Folding @ Home Team
The Banner Vault
International Sites:  Canada
Copyright© 2017 NCIX.com/Netlink Computer Inc. All rights reserved. / Server ID: 167  592 ms
Page last updated: 05/27/2017 01:14:21