Shop by Category | Brand | Order Tracking | Customer Care | Contact Us | Wishlist | My Account |
All
  • All Departments
  • Digital Download
Cart
My Drafts
General Topics
  Tech News
  What's New
  NCIX.com Q&A
  Important Notices
  General Discussions
  Suggestions/Feedback
  Site Bug Reports
  PC Builder Workshop
  NCIX Gaming Community
  NCIX Tech Tips
  Linus Tech Tips
  NCIX Esther
  Manufacturer Support
  CPU Discussions
  Video Cards
  Power Supplies
  Folding @ Home
  Moderated
  Off Topic
  Overclocking
  Product Requests
  PC Modding
Software Topics
  Operating Systems
  Linux
  Freeware/Shareware
  Open Source Projects
  Driver Updates
Broadband Topics
  Shaw Cable
  Telus ADSL
  Speed Test Reports
FAQs
  NCIX FAQs
  Hardware FAQs
  Overclocking FAQs
  Other FAQs
  Software FAQs
Top Categories
  Blu-Ray Drives
  Bundle Deals
  Camcorders
  CD & DVD Drives
  Chromebook
  Computer Cases
  CPU Heatsinks
  DDR2 Desktop Memory
  DDR3 Desktop Memory
  Digital Cameras
  External Hard Drives
  Fans & Cooling
  Hard Drives
  HTPC Accessories
  Inkjet Printers
  Internet Routers
  Keyboards
  Laser Printers
  LCD Monitors
  Mice & Pointing Devices
  Mobile Phones
  Modding
  Motherboards
  Multi-Function Printers
  Network Adapters
  Network Storage NAS
  Network Switches
  PC Games
  Power Supplies
  Processors (CPUs)
  PS3 Games
  Scanners
  SD Secure Digital
  Solid State Drives - SSD
  Speakers & Audio
  UPS/Power Management
  USB Flash Drives
  Video Cards
  Water Cooling
  Webcams
  Wireless Accessories
  XBox 360
 LATEST TOPICS |  FORUMS » PC BUILDER WORKSHOP » FIRST BUILD. NEED HELP....
Subject: First build. Need Help.
Share this:  
Author Date Posted Tools
Dave E Dec 09, 2012 05:04 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like (1) | Top | Bottom

I am new to computer gaming. I finally got tired of play ps3 and decided to switch after some friends convinced me. I have done some research but want to leave it to the experts on what to buy. I want a computer that can play games on ultra. I will only play on one monitor and I want a computer that is upgradable so I can upgrade it when game become more advanced. I don't care if it is amd or intel. I do want a 4 core cpu since gaming is going that way. Also, I will only use this computer for gaming and occasional web surfing and typing papers. Any suggestion would help. My budget is 500-700. Lower is better lol.

Topic URL: http://forums.ncix.com/forums/topic.php?id=2576356

Tip Posting | My Postings () | My Reviews () | View Source
Q-Ball 7 Dec 09, 2012 11:16 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Sure.

I don't think you're looking to overclock so I'm going to suggest Intel for this build.

A Core i3 and B75 board is what you want; the graphics card is going to make more of an impact on games than the CPU ever will. Of course, you could always buy that AMD 1045T and comparable AM3+ board (the CPU is on special) but unless you're planning on overclocking I wouldn't recommend it.

As for memory and a case are concerned, anything is fine. Anything over 1333MHz is just extra, so anything in the sale will be fine (8GB is what you should look at; 4 is fine, but 8 is still about 30-40 bucks and should outlast the machine). For the case, get what looks good.

As far as the hard drive goes, you can decide how much space you want. Get a 7200RPM drive, though; there's really no excuse not to considering how the Seagate 7200RPM drives are the same price as the WD Green/Red (5400RPM) drives. You pay for this in warranty, however. If you want/will be interested in an SSD, take that into consideration also (the Plextor M5S/M5P is the drive to buy); keep in mind that if you partition your hard drive with a future SSD in mind (shoot for 240GB, as the prices for a drive of that size should be better in 6 months or so) the transfer process is even easier.

550W will be enough power for this build and subsequent GPU upgrades. This power supply is one of the better ones.

Once all is said and done, simply get the most powerful GPU you can afford.
Cards like the GTX560Ti 448 or GTX570, or Radeon 7870/7950 are good cards to have; but even if you can only spare 100 on a Radeon 7770 it's not like it's going to be a downgrade in visual quality compared to a PS3 regardless of the card you choose- but running games on Ultra is best left to the above cards.

As always, make sure to pricematch components.

And that's it for now.

Tip Posting | My Postings (1132) | My Reviews (5) | View Source
jett_k Dec 23, 2012 05:40 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like (1) | Top | Bottom

i agree.. if you want to play every game on ultra you are talking some serious cash on GPU, if you plan to play games such as minecraft and cod then the lower cards he mentioned would probly do... but if you want to play planetside 2 on ultra you are going to need at least dual 7770's or gtx560ti... so if you could say the games you plan to play... we could help out better... sli/crossfire would need a solid PSU 650+... so let me know and i will do some research for you on how the cards bench on the games you like...

This message was modified by the poster at 12 23, 2012 05:48 PM

Tip Posting | My Postings () | My Reviews () | View Source

Call Queue
Now Serving
Closed
Avg. Response Time
Closed
Request Call Back
(Web Orders Only)

Recent Experts
1. Alter3d Reality (17203)
2. Saberon (14912)
3. Spork™ (13686)
4. DJZ (6914)
5. Rebecca_M (257)
All Time Experts
1. Mr. Friendly™ (51387)
2. The Wizard (39824)
3. death_hawk™ (35144)
4. Not An Expert (26343)
5. Lance W (25246)

Your Order Company Info Memberships Services Hotlinks
Order Status
RMAs (Merchandise returns)
F.A.Q.
Contact Us / Store Locator
Careers
Terms & Conditions
Privacy Policy
NCIX Rewards
Premier Partner Reseller Program
VIP Memberships
Advantage Membership
Affiliate Program
Express Coverage
Express RMA
Express Shipping Service
Express Exchange and Care Coverage
Gift Cards & Balance Checker
NCIX Newsletters
NCIX Forums
Folding @ Home Team
The Banner Vault
International Sites:  Canada
Get the best discount computers online for online computer shopping and discount PC computer components as well as notebook computers, laptops and Canada custom computers for the best deals on computers.
NCIX.com provides Canada the best priced computers in the country for computer components and computer parts and computer accessories with the best online computer store in Canada for your personal and business computer needs.
At NCIX you can build your own computer online as well as search for the cheapest and best video cards, computer processors and CPUs, motherboards computer memory RAM, ssd and hard drives with the fastest shipping in Canada and the US.
So for discount computers online NCIX provides the cheapest digital cameras, printers, motherboards, flash memory, PC speakers and computer electronics with the best Canadian computer and Canadian online computer shopping website in the world.

NCIX.com is powered by Intel® Xeon® Quad Core Processors
Copyright© 2014 NCIX.com/Netlink Computer Inc. All rights reserved. S / Server ID:74 20140728173243  312 ms