Unlocked Smartphones
  USB Flash Drives
  Video Cards
  Webcams
  Wired Routers
  Wireless Accessories
NCIX.com Forums

FORUMS »

NESTING COMPUTER DESKS - ANYONE KNOW OF ...
Subject:

Nesting Computer Desks - Anyone Know of Options?

Share this:
PREV   |   NEXT   1 2 3  
Author Date Posted Tools
Mr. Friendly™ Mr. Friendly™ Feb 07, 2017 09:18 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Delete Image. Please use this feature thoughtfully.  Report this image 

I found the Heckler Design OneLessDesk, which interests me, but not at $1100USD.

https://hecklerdesign.com/workspace/

Anyone know of anything else like this?

Topic URL: http://forums.ncix.com/forums/topic.php?id=2752019

Tip Posting | My Postings (35781) | My Reviews (76) | View Source | Report
NaX NaX Moderator Feb 07, 2017 09:24 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like (2) | Top | Bottom

Delete Image. Please use this feature thoughtfully.  Report this image 

didn't find anything about a nesting computer desk, but i did find something regarding a nesting computer monitor

Tip Posting | My Postings (11880) | My Reviews (41) | View Source | Report
Mr. Friendly™ Mr. Friendly™ Feb 07, 2017 02:27 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

well, also found the Angelo Desk...but no indication it can be bought in Canada. :(

http://angelodesk.com/buy/angelo-desk

justmoe1 justmoe1 Feb 07, 2017 06:15 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

few options in the rain forest

Tip Posting | My Postings (7813) | My Reviews (21) | View Source | Report
stevenswilson Premier Partner Feb 08, 2017 09:39 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like (1) | Top | Bottom

The Angelo is a very basic design.... maybe try to find a local carpenter who'd be willing to make one up for you out of your preferred wood?

Tip Posting | My Postings (615) | My Reviews (92) | View Source | Report
Greg * NCIX.com Greg * NCIX.com NCIX.com Staff Feb 08, 2017 09:49 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

I have to agree. It looks like a simple 1x8 with some shelf brackets in the corners for stability. I bet it wouldn't take a carpenter (or anyone with a table saw for that matter) more than an hour to build.

Tip Posting | My Postings (27885) | My Reviews (4) | My Profile | View Source | Report
Cannon Fodder Cannon Fodder Feb 08, 2017 10:43 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Well, if you're using 1x8 it would, since the desk is actually 12" wide!

Tip Posting | My Postings (8027) | My Reviews (122) | View Source | Report
TheGreatGazoo™ TheGreatGazoo™ Feb 08, 2017 11:23 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

A cabinet maker could probably make you something nice.

Or make your own like this and mod it to make a smaller nesting twin.
http://www.ana-white.com/2015/01/free_plans/x-leg-desk-featuring-sawdust-girl Ana White has some good designs on her site.

Tip Posting | My Postings (1399) | My Reviews (146) | My Profile | View Source | Report
dave3m dave3m Feb 08, 2017 11:57 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

I guess that half of that is their free shipping, since it isn't even thick aluminum plate or something to help justify the price. The file holder alone is $150 and the desk dimensions are very small (<3'x1'), even if that's sort of the point. I dunno about you, but I don't feel freed from clutter lugging around 131 lbs of steel. Doubles as a means to turn your apt into a safe room by dragging it across the door.
Quote: (Mr. Friendly™ @ Feb 07 2017, 09:18 AM)

Powdercoated steel - Weight 131 lbs

Tip Posting | My Postings (901) | My Reviews (12) | View Source | Report
Mr. Friendly™ Mr. Friendly™ Feb 08, 2017 12:02 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

yeah, in emailing back and forth, the fellow, Angelo (go figure), does this out of his garage. he uses oak and pine...however, no clue how they are assembled.

agreed to in that anyone could make a crude copy, but its always the finishing that takes time, hence the cost ($250US). It's $130US to ship to me here in Canada too. :P

perhaps this is a niche market ready for development!

Greg * NCIX.com Greg * NCIX.com NCIX.com Staff Feb 08, 2017 12:07 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

You and your showin' off with your fancy reading skills.

Actually that reminds me that Home Depot does have some nice boards meant for shelving that are around that width too (I think they go up to 16 inches wide). Cut two pieces and pair it with some adjustable height table legs from Ikea and you have some simple nesting tables in a matter of minutes. Home depot will even cut the boards for you in-store.

Tip Posting | My Postings (27885) | My Reviews (4) | My Profile | View Source | Report
Mr. Friendly™ Mr. Friendly™ Feb 08, 2017 12:40 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

anyone know where you can buy finished 2x4's or 2x6's or 2x8's?

Cannon Fodder Cannon Fodder Feb 08, 2017 01:25 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

The pic is somewhat lacking, so you can't really see how the corners are finished, and/or fastened, but it APPEARS as though it's as Greg mentioned, i.e. some shelf brackets fastening the top to the sides, for stability.

Quote: (Mr. Friendly™ @ Feb 08 2017, 12:02 PM)

agreed to in that anyone could make a crude copy, but its always the finishing that takes time, hence the cost ($250US).

Yeah, it could easily be copied, assuming you have at least a bit of woodworking skill and some appropriate tools. As for the cost, for what it is, it's grossly overpriced, BUT as you said, the guy has to spend some time finishing it..... funny thing is, though, it appears as though the price is the same if you buy the "unfinished wood" option.

Quote: (Mr. Friendly™ @ Feb 08 2017, 12:02 PM)

It's $130US to ship to me here in Canada too.

DAMN!!! I realize it's 21 lbs., but $130 US to ship!? Must be next day shipping, or some kind of quicker-than-basic delivery.....

Cannon Fodder Cannon Fodder Feb 08, 2017 04:14 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

BTW - has anyone else noticed the seat under the desk in the 1st post? Thing looks like one of those oversized bicycle seats, but in this case, 4 or 5 times the size of the bike seat!

Babaghan Babaghan Moderator Feb 08, 2017 04:53 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Looks nice and comfortable for my fat ass

Tip Posting | My Postings (8225) | My Reviews (80) | View Source | Report
stevenswilson Premier Partner Feb 08, 2017 05:01 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

I'm thinking dovetailed joints would look pretty damn good. That said... I'm not a carpenter, but who knows what Oak goes for 12" X 24ish board feet......

Tip Posting | My Postings (615) | My Reviews (92) | View Source | Report
NaX NaX Moderator Feb 08, 2017 05:08 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

yeah either build your own or take a prefabricated desk and modify it to your dimensions (nice way of saying fat ass)

Tip Posting | My Postings (11880) | My Reviews (41) | View Source | Report
TheGreatGazoo™ TheGreatGazoo™ Feb 08, 2017 06:24 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Windsor plywood (any location) or Reimer Hardwoods in Abbotsford.

I'm just starting to get into furniture making so was just looking for nice hardwoods the past couple of weeks. Home depot pretty much only has fir, pine and cedar. None of those would make good (indoor) furniture as they are softwoods.

Tip Posting | My Postings (1399) | My Reviews (146) | My Profile | View Source | Report
Mr. Friendly™ Mr. Friendly™ Feb 08, 2017 06:39 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

hey Gazoo, I'm happy to be a guinea pig for you if it doesn't cost me anything.

TheGreatGazoo™ TheGreatGazoo™ Feb 08, 2017 07:22 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

It's hard to do any work in my garage right now because it is so freaking cold. :(

TheGreatGazoo™ TheGreatGazoo™ Feb 08, 2017 07:27 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Looking at the Angelo desk it is 12x12x36 so 12" wide planks could be used (well a 12" wide plank would actually be 11 1/4"). If 12" wide is actually needed then I would use 3 6" wide planks and rip them to 4" and butcher block them together with bread boards on the end for extra strength and looks. Pocket holes on the bottom and glued corner clamps. I could ask my bro-in-law to paint it white - he owns a cabinet shop. Probably cost about $100 for oak top and pine sides.

Mr. Friendly™ Mr. Friendly™ Feb 09, 2017 07:55 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

hey Gazoo, how about applying the same principle that X desk linked to earlier, and making something like that into a nesting desk?

TheGreatGazoo™ TheGreatGazoo™ Feb 09, 2017 09:24 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

That seems like it would be doable. What kind of depth? The plans for that one are 27.5" deep and 60" long using 5 2"x6" boards.

The X desk would be sturdier (less wobble) because it uses 2" thick boards instead of 1".

I could whip up an unpainted fir one this weekend for real cheap as a test to see what it would look like. It would give me a chance to practice some of my woodworking skills.

Mr. Friendly™ Mr. Friendly™ Feb 09, 2017 10:42 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

can you get anything wider than 12"?

would be best if the top can be hardwood, though I recognize that's too expensive for testing purposes.

end product would need finishing as well...either a good paint job or some nice staining w/clear coat to pull out the grain.

TheGreatGazoo™ TheGreatGazoo™ Feb 09, 2017 02:11 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

I can make wider than 12" by making it butcher block style with jointed edges. Board edges are trued then glued and clamped together to the desired width. Pocket holes and screws can be used on the underside of 2" thick to make them even stronger.
http://woodworking.formeremortals.net/2016/08/need-wide-boards-how-to-make-panels-woodworking-step-it-up/It's very rare to get single boards wider than 12" without custom milling (i.e. big bucks) and old growth trees. Larger widths like a table top are usually created with plywood veneer surfaces.

The test build to get the joints and cut lengths sorted out will be softwood and then I will use that wood later for other projects. The end product would be a hardwood for the top to reduce marring and definitely a stain and clear coat to keep it make it nice looking.

This will be fun for me!

Cannon Fodder Cannon Fodder Feb 09, 2017 04:02 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Just out of curiosity, Gazoo, have you got a biscuit joiner & a thickness planer to go along with that jointer?

This message was modified by the poster at 02 09, 2017 04:03 PM

TheGreatGazoo™ TheGreatGazoo™ Feb 10, 2017 09:49 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

I'm looking at perhaps a buying planer this weekend. It's an expensive spend but with the amount of furniture I want to make for our house it would be worth it in the end. It also depends on the materials I will be working with for the most part. I am planning most walnut for my stuff and it should be mostly finished. I'm heading out to Reimer in Abbotsford this weekend to look at the materials I will be using in most of my building.

I'm not using a biscuit joiner. My opinion is that it helps on lining up the pieces but doesn't add much to rigidity of the finished piece.

Edit - decided to use cedar for the test. Wife says we could use it in our backyard as a table for working on potting plants and such.

This message was modified by the poster at 02 10, 2017 09:51 AM

Entz Entz Vip Member Feb 10, 2017 10:33 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

I started building my own stuff recently as well, think it may be a new hobby. kreg jigs are the best things ever lol.

Wouldn't it be simpler to just make these out of 3/4" oak/maple plywood? A 60$ -80$ sheet would be more then enough for a couple of them. Paint or stain to taste or get pre-finished.

This message was modified by the poster at 02 10, 2017 10:41 AM

Tip Posting | My Postings (4776) | My Reviews (13) | My Profile | View Source | Report
Mr. Friendly™ Mr. Friendly™ Feb 10, 2017 11:32 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

keep us in the loop, Gazoo, I want to see what your finished product looks like!

I'm thinking it would be neat to see what a 14" or so nesting desk would look like.

do you have any ideas on how to setup a rail or wheels or whatever for the nesting portion, so it's easy to slide out and not have to actually worry about picking it up and pulling it out?

TheGreatGazoo™ TheGreatGazoo™ Feb 10, 2017 02:07 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Entz - becoming my new hobby too. Spending less time building and upgrading computer rigs since the new hardware releases seem to be mildly incremental every year. My last upgrade was to Devil's Canyon and 980Ti. There isn't much it can't do compared to new hardware so I won't be upgrading for a couple of years I figure. Might upgrade my home server though.

Anyway, a plywood sheet would be okay, but then you have to do something with the edges like a mitered frame or veneer. I'm open to suggestions and tips by anybody that has experience. I'm still a novice and want to learn more - found a couple of awesome Youtube gurus that have been very inspiring. My bro-in-law will be very helpful too as he has been making cabinets for 30 years.

As far as the pullout goes - good quality drawer rails would work with small castors on the bottom. It would need to be fairly close clearance which would mean careful measuring for tolerances. Using 2x4 as the frame should make adding the castors and rails fairly easy and sturdy. That's a damn good idea Mr. Friendly. :)

Found a Dewalt planer to buy at Lowe's. Getting them to price-match the River-in-Brazil place and saving $200 on it.

Tonight I am cleaning up the garage and putting all the winter stuff away to make room for the project. Hopefully this snow doesn't come back. I had to use my generator six times last weekend because our power kept going out. Glad I had that manual transfer switch installed at my electrical panel and bought that 6000W generator.

PREV   |   NEXT   1 2 3  

Icon Canadian CANADA Icon United States USA
Image Box Left Call Queue Image Box Right
Now Serving
Closed
Image Dot
Image Box Left Bottom Image Box Right Bottom
Image Box Left Avg. Response Time Image Box Right
Image dot
Closed
Request Call Back
(Web Orders Only)

Bluetooth Call Me
Image Box Left

Recent Experts

Image Box Right
Image Dot
1. Mr. Friendly™ (58634)
2. Greg * NCIX.com (37254)
3. Entz (5263)
4. TheGreatGazoo™ (1733)
5. Benjamin_O4 (6)
Image Dot
Image Box Left

All Time Experts

Image Box Right
Image Dot
1. Mr. Friendly™ (51387)
2. The Wizard (39824)
3. death_hawk™ (35144)
4. Not An Expert (26343)
5. Lance W (25246)
Image Dot

Your Order Company Info Memberships Services Hotlinks
Order Status
RMAs (Merchandise returns)
F.A.Q.
Contact Us / Store Locator
Careers
Blog
Terms & Conditions
Privacy Policy
BBB Accredited Business Profile
Branding & Logos
NCIX Rewards
Premier Partner Reseller Program
VIP Memberships
Advantage Membership
NCIX Affiliate Program
Super Shipping Saver Club
Express Coverage
Express RMA
Express Exchange and Care Coverage
Gift Cards & Balance Checker
Same-Day Delivery
Retail Financing
NCIX Newsletters
NCIX Forums
Folding @ Home Team
The Banner Vault
International Sites:  Canada
Copyright© 2017 NCIX.com/Netlink Computer Inc. All rights reserved. / Server ID: 48  499 ms
Page last updated: 07/22/2017 03:51:14