Shop by Category | Brand | Order Tracking | Customer Care | Contact Us | Wishlist | My Account |
All
  • All Departments
  • Digital Download
Cart
My Drafts
General Topics
  Tech News
  What's New
  NCIX.com Q&A
  Important Notices
  General Discussions
  Suggestions/Feedback
  Site Bug Reports
  PC Builder Workshop
  NCIX Gaming Community
  NCIX Tech Tips
  Linus Tech Tips
  NCIX Esther
  Manufacturer Support
  CPU Discussions
  Video Cards
  Power Supplies
  Folding @ Home
  Moderated
  Off Topic
  Overclocking
  Product Requests
  PC Modding
Software Topics
  Operating Systems
  Linux
  Freeware/Shareware
  Open Source Projects
  Driver Updates
Broadband Topics
  Shaw Cable
  Telus ADSL
  Speed Test Reports
FAQs
  NCIX FAQs
  Hardware FAQs
  Overclocking FAQs
  Other FAQs
  Software FAQs
Top Categories
  Blu-Ray Drives
  Bundle Deals
  Camcorders
  CD & DVD Drives
  Chromebook
  Computer Cases
  CPU Heatsinks
  DDR2 Desktop Memory
  DDR3 Desktop Memory
  Digital Cameras
  External Hard Drives
  Fans & Cooling
  Hard Drives
  HTPC Accessories
  Inkjet Printers
  Internet Routers
  Keyboards
  Laser Printers
  LCD Monitors
  Mice & Pointing Devices
  Mobile Phones
  Modding
  Motherboards
  Multi-Function Printers
  Network Adapters
  Network Storage NAS
  Network Switches
  PC Games
  PlayStation 3 Games
  Power Supplies
  Processors (CPUs)
  Scanners
  SD Secure Digital
  Solid State Drives - SSD
  Speakers & Audio
  UPS/Power Management
  USB Flash Drives
  Video Cards
  Water Cooling
  Webcams
  Wireless Accessories
  XBox 360
 LATEST TOPICS |  FORUMS » GENERAL DISCUSSIONS » DONATION FOR THE ALBERTA FLOODS FUND...
Subject: Donation for the Alberta Floods Fund
Share this:  
PREV   |   NEXT   1 2  
Author Date Posted Tools
NCIX * esther Jun 24, 2013 06:26 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like (5) | Top | Bottom

Delete Image. Please use this feature thoughtfully.  Report this image 

As many of you may have already heard, there has been a recent flood across Alberta impacting thousands, forcing many to leave their homes. Our hearts really go out to those who are dealing with this situation at the moment, as well as Saskatchewan as the flood water is suspected to make it's way there.

NCIX would like to raise some funds towards this cause. If our NCIX community would like to contribute, please donate your NCIX points and NCIX will match the donation.

You can do so by Tipping this Posting.
100 NCIX Reward Points = $1.

We will be making the donation on Tuesday, July 2nd, 2013 (day after Canada Day).

Let's come together and help out our fellow Canadians shall we?

If you would like to make a donation to Red Cross directly, you can do so here:
http://www.redcross.ca/donate/donate-online/donate-to-the-alberta-floods

Thanks for your consideration.
- NCIX

Thank you ALL for your points contribution!! You guys have raised $992.37, which NCIX will match, so a total of $1984.74 has been donated to the Canadian Red Cross today! Many have shown appreciation for the support they have received from you... this means a lot to many!

This message was modified by the poster at 07 02, 2013 06:28 PM

Topic URL: http://forums.ncix.com/forums/topic.php?id=2614691

Tip Posting | My Postings (374) | My Reviews (0) | View Source
Tips: 101487 Points tipped from 86 members
Yoinkerman Jun 24, 2013 06:34 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

k.

are you guys putting a cap on the donation amount so it's a point sink or truly donating 100=$1?

Tip Posting | My Postings (5968) | My Reviews (26) | View Source
evilalien Jun 24, 2013 07:49 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like (1) | Top | Bottom

Thanks on behalf of the rest of Calgary, Esther!

Tip Posting | My Postings (51) | My Reviews (0) | My Profile | View Source
death_hawk™ Jun 24, 2013 08:00 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

I think either way it's a point sink.

Tip Posting | My Postings (30396) | My Reviews (48) | View Source
Shazam Jun 24, 2013 08:11 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Ncix invented points so can they not generate the amount needed? People here didn't spend real money on points and are just given away for free so I don't understand how it works and why ask from us. Is this just a "contribution" thing and see how many people respond?

Tip Posting | My Postings (542) | My Reviews (0) | View Source
Somebody69 Jun 24, 2013 08:20 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like (2) | Top | Bottom

point sink? iswydt

the removal of points from the system has some monetary value to NCIX. 2500 poitns buys free shipping, which is probably equal to something like $15 "lost" on average (I'm going to guess there is a bias for expensive shipping, e.g., cases). Maybe less, since I expect NCIX adds X amount of margin to the customer's shipping cost. NCIX is saying they value 100 points at $1. I think that's on the high end, but still. Less points = less people getting free stuff.

anyway, have half my points from my order.

Tip Posting | My Postings (2633) | My Reviews (45) | View Source
Tips: 1900 Points tipped from 1 members
64Bit_Snip3r Jun 24, 2013 09:02 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Here's $10

Tip Posting | My Postings (6887) | My Reviews (55) | My Profile | View Source
{--M--} Jun 25, 2013 11:17 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like (4) | Top | Bottom

I'm not trying to downplay what happened, it is very unfortunate and I feel sorry for those that were impacted by the floods. To be stuck in such a situation is definitely not fun and something you hope you never have to go through.

I'm probably going to get flamed for saying this, but... this is Canada, not some 3rd-world country, and this also happens to have occurred in the wealthiest province in the country. Are the donations really necessary? Surely the government should have sufficient funds and resources to deal with a natural disaster? Then there's also insurance, which everyone should have.

Then again, considering the lack of good financial planning by the government over the last several years, maybe they don't have the capacity to deal with it.

Tip Posting | My Postings (9135) | My Reviews (15) | My Profile | View Source
Analbumcover Jun 25, 2013 11:24 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like (3) | Top | Bottom

That's a perfectly legitimate point to make. Canada does have enough money in the public purse that private individuals should not be required (and this is voluntary) to make donations if public money had been spent wisely. The wars in Afghanistan and Libya are in the tens of billions. Harper's corporate tax cuts are in the tens of billions. In a way, there is justice in all of this considering Alberta is Conservative country (all but 1 seat went Conservative in the federal election).

This is oil/money rich Alberta. Those corporations that got rich off of the tarsands should be taking care of their employees (i.e. those affected by the floods). How else are they going to make a profit when no one is pumping their oil?

Tip Posting | My Postings (1344) | My Reviews (1) | View Source
SummE Jun 25, 2013 11:29 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

It's not a governments job to insure every single cause of distress and misfortune in the country, that impression of obligation is a first-world by-product. The money comes from taxes, a finite resource.

Bad stuff happens, wars, floods, meteors, gamma ray bursts.

At the end of the day, the charity of fellow people is what picks up the slack that helps prevent rampant destitution. Whether here in canada or any other part of the world.

EDIT: notwithstanding the rampant waste of federal dollars, a point made that I agree with. Make sure you vote candidates in that want to actually tackle that in 2015.

This message was modified by the poster at 06 25, 2013 11:35 AM

Tip Posting | My Postings (1516) | My Reviews (64) | View Source
DJZ Jun 25, 2013 12:49 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

I'm fine with my federal taxes going to this rather than being used at home, personally. I like to think that should something happen in Montreal, they too would be willing to help out in our time of need.

So yeah I think it's Canada's role to redirect our resources where they're most needed at a given time. If security in numbers ever meant anything, we have an example.

This message was modified by the poster at 06 25, 2013 12:54 PM

Tip Posting | My Postings (6684) | My Reviews (42) | View Source
Dave N Jun 25, 2013 03:42 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like (1) | Top | Bottom

Wow some of you guys are really uninformed heartless assclowns. Jealousy really is that ugly I guess.

Do yourself a favor and learn about uninsurable risks so you don't sound so stupid. FYI, overland flood insurance is not even available in Canada.

Careful maybe next time it will be you who is the victim.

Tip Posting | My Postings (5502) | My Reviews (3) | View Source
Terwax Jun 25, 2013 04:09 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

I, too, think Alerbertan gov't and the feds should pour more money to fix this disaster.

Some sort of insurance is available, if not the main one they needed.

Most of other 3rd world countries don't have insurance, and their gov't don't have money to help.

Personally, instead of giving my $100 to someone in Alberta to help him rebuild his home, pay off his cell phone bills (contract), pay for his groceries, I rather give the $100 to Red Cross in Africa and same some 10 children from starving to death.

That doesn't mean we shouldn't help the disaster in our home country. I know good people donated lots of money and it'd be sufficient enough. But when we donate to Africa, it can never be sufficient.

3 Albertans lost their lives in the flood so far (last time I checked) whereas in India, over 1000 have died.

I know this message will cause controversary, but IMO, a child who will starve to death is worth more than 1 Canadian who may miss one meal for a day. We have a gov't to look after us, give us free food and shelter, but many countries lack this.

Dave: I, and some others, would care less about ourselves vs 10 people who'd die otherwise.

This message was modified by the poster at 06 25, 2013 04:15 PM

Tip Posting | My Postings (6074) | My Reviews (49) | View Source
Tips: 1400 Points tipped from 1 members
Yoinkerman Jun 27, 2013 06:06 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like (1) | Top | Bottom

In the past they've said they're donating up to $1500 at 100-1 and like 450000 points were donated which is like 300-1. I don't know if they went ahead and changed the donation amount or the people who donated after the goal was hit just lost their points for no reason.

Tip Posting | My Postings (5968) | My Reviews (26) | View Source
justmoe1 Jun 28, 2013 05:53 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like (1) | Top | Bottom

nothing is stopping people in here from donating to 3rd world causes. these donations go to red cross who are the in between party who tries to help those in need right now. the government is spending money and will use insurance but it does not happen immediately. they rely on non profits to deal with immediate issues like food, shelter, medical needs. the same goes for every country in the world regardless of their financial standing.

even the red cross and other organizations receive large amounts of funding from governments throughout the year. these organizations are always running projects throughout the year not just when disaster strikes.

i live and work on the front lines of one of those projects. the project in question is funded year round by civic, provincial, and federal monies. it shelters, feeds, and cares for individuals. it also provides the government with statistics of the situation in the area. this front line is Vancouver east side(V6A postal code). Per capita one of the poorest postal codes in Canada.

people donate money with out thinking around the world. Canada was a huge help to the hurricane victims in the us. much of that help was without thought of that states financial status. people in the us and Canada will donate to the cause in Alberta without thought. people who stop to think when something bad is happening are not wrong to do so. it is everyone's right. i am not one of those people.

Tip Posting | My Postings (7294) | My Reviews (21) | View Source
Trevor_R Jun 28, 2013 08:26 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like (1) | Top | Bottom

The town of High River has practically been wiped out. A lot of Southern Alberta farmers and ranchers will be affected; food producers. The Siksika and Stoney Nakoda Nations were all hard hit, some losing everything. Calgary may be oil rich but that doesn't mean everyone who lives there is wealthy and works for an oil company. It also amazes me how some say the governments should do more without acknowledging the taxpayers who fund them. Choose what causes you want to support, but if you can't say anything nice about someone else's, don't bother saying anything.

When you stand in someone's home for 4 days throwing out 30+ years of their lives because of sewer-contaminated mud, you realize that "points" don't have much value. It's awesome to see the charity that's been ongoing (especially volunteer efforts), even from outside of Alberta, so kudos to NCIX (and all who are tipping) for doing something.

Tip Posting | My Postings (1) | My Reviews (1) | View Source
Holst Jun 28, 2013 08:54 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like (1) | Top | Bottom

Thank you, SummE for saying it!
Thank for getting the point and the reality! Thank you for understanding we live in a "society" and this "everybody for themselves" attitude really needs to die!
Thank you SummE.

Tip Posting | My Postings (11) | My Reviews (7) | View Source
DJZ Jun 28, 2013 08:58 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like (1) | Top | Bottom

I don't understand why we should give all that much thought to taxpayers when things like this happen. I'm a taxpayer from Quebec and although I haven't been contributing for very long (or very much), I think that the government is the one with the resources to deal with this.

I still support charities, but for obvious reasons they'll only make a dent in the billions of dollars worth of damages. Governments are well equipped to help with the recovery, if they need to spend money to fix up a city in need, I'll call it harmony. It's a good use of public resources.

SummE's post is the very opposite of what Holst seems to think it is. It IS the government's job to use the money of all taxpayers to help with the recovery of one city. It's the definition of "all for one" when the federal government manages crises like this with the resources of all of Canada. And chipping in personally is a great initiative but to suggest that it's not the government's job to handle disasters is ridiculous. The best reason to be part of a big country like Canada is our ability to direct resources toward these kinds of things.

This message was modified by the poster at 06 28, 2013 09:10 AM

justmoe1 Jun 28, 2013 09:30 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like (2) | Top | Bottom

the issue is some people think donating to alberta natural disaster organizations like the red cross does not need to be done. they are completely wrong in that first responders are the organizations in question. what happens later is the governments responsibility. red cross salvation army and other major organizations need help with shelters, food, and medical assistance.

This message was modified by the poster at 06 29, 2013 03:05 PM

DJZ Jun 28, 2013 09:38 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

The Red Cross dispatches units very quickly, they have funds specifically ready to ship out people right off the bat.

This message was modified by the poster at 06 28, 2013 10:27 AM

Terwax Jun 28, 2013 12:35 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like (1) | Top | Bottom

I prefer my tax money being used towards civilians needs vs F35s.

How much an F35 cost? $135m each. How many lives we save with that much money? How much Canada is spending for them? $45b. How many lives in Darfur (pre conflict)? 6 million. That's about $7500 PER person. What can that do? That person can live a long life vs dying for malnutrition while a few months old. I hope some of you can fast for a day to see how awful it is. Imagine not eating or drinking for a week. Now imagine that you are in so much pain that you want to pass away but you can not. Less than 1% Canadians will go through that feeling. More than 50% of people will go through that feeling in poverty stricken nations.

While I agree not everyone works for oil company, any Canadian can make $80 in a day with $10 job. People in 3rd world countries make $50-80 a month. That's hard labour. Moreover, my $10 can buy many nets to prevent malaria in Africa but that $10 can also feed an Albertan a Lunch. Is life saving more important or a tent
et against malaria?

My points do have value. I would like to see NCIX do a fundraiser where we can donate points in other to buy nets for children in Africa to protect them from malaria or the $1000 they raise to be used to buy a year's worth of food for some 100 Africans or to buy crutches for children who have lost their limbs due to land mines.

But to each their own. People can donate to their causes. Some donate to find shelter for dogs and polar bear when people in Albertans have lost shelter and some other random things. I would have donated to Alberta but having a rich government, not corrupted and most people wanting to help Alberta before other countries - ignoring the fact of the $life value, I choose to save the points when NCIX hosts a fundraiser to help. I would rather feed more people with my 100 points than a single person who is going to live anyway.

To sum it up, Life is more important than house.

Edit: As DJZ said, its the government job to fix a mess like this. Think how much of an effect will a charity have vs government? Government puts themselves first before other countries. Charities go where the money is utilized well, except some scam charities like sponsor a child for education when over 30% of the donation is consumed by the workers.

And also please don't talk about how you work in frontline of charity and how it does wonders. I worked and I quit because it was disgraceful. We were told simply to get one to agree and donate for minimum of 2 months and we would get paid. We were told that charity doesn't make a dime until 6 months. So before the 6 months, it was our company, the parent company and some others making money. The manager would wear "Prada" socks! How much he paid? $300, he said. If anyone wants to donate, donate directly to redcross or any charity website. NEVER donate through anyone or anything else. The $60 you'd donate over 6 months will be used to buy luxury items by managers, not help a dog or a human.

This message was modified by the poster at 06 28, 2013 12:46 PM

This message was modified by the poster at 06 28, 2013 12:57 PM

Analbumcover Jun 28, 2013 12:39 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like (1) | Top | Bottom

Stephen Harper will get his F-35's come hell or high water. Very high water in this case.

Tip Posting | My Postings (1344) | My Reviews (1) | View Source
justmoe1 Jun 28, 2013 03:13 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

misquote people much? i have never said it did wonders. in fact nothing you just said has anything to do with what i do. our organization works directly with those affected. nobody here is making anywhere near what their positions normally get paid. more then half of the employees are either volunteers or are paid the minimum required based on their position(ex. nurses, union, etc...) the only people over paid are those who decide how much of your money is distributed between charities and their projects.

we run 4 shelters, a foodline, detox, and treatment centre. every penny is budgeted and audited yearly. every project is reviewed and renewed yearly by the government. accountability is strictly adhered to as it is with most major organizations... like red cross.

Terwax Jun 28, 2013 04:39 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like (2) | Top | Bottom

We were told not to share how much we earn with others. Rather just say we get small amount to buy cup of coffee or pay for bus ticket.

But my apologies. I am disgusted with most of the charities after finding out how some of their fundraiser is done. I have stopped donating and now give money directly to an organization which is effected or just save it for future.

danielson99 Jun 29, 2013 09:03 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like (2) | Top | Bottom

It's sad we live in a society that breeds so much mistrust. To most people, Governments and Large Corporations = Scam, and rightly so. If George Bush didn't take money directly from the funds set aside to fix the levies in Louisiana and use it for his military purposes...the disaster in New Orleans would have likely never happened. But yet Canadians and others worldwide donated their own money to make up for his mistakes.

Now we are faced with a disaster in our own back yard. We know that donating money is only helping a Government that is scamming us and using our money for worthless fighter jets and a plethora of other scams (personal expense accounts etc).

What do we do? I don't feel anger towards people who don't help, it's hard for them to justify helping when our own Governments and Large Corporations are scamming us so badly. But human nature tells us to help our brothers when they are down...so I think it's great that people do help out. At the end of the day, what people donate is only a tiny amount of what's needed...so it's not like it really makes a huge difference. It's the point of helping...and doing what we feel in our hearts is right.

One day maybe we'll live in an era where our Governments actually spend money on the people, instead of killing people. Military spending is a complete waste, but that is where the majority of Americans and even Canadians tax money goes. Just think, if those trillions of dollars were spent on education, medical and social programs...we would have no starving or homeless people and we would be so much further ahead where it matters.

Now back to reality, keep donating....because our Governments need every dollar they can get so they can takeover as many third world countries as possible to rape them of all their natural resources. Go Harper Go!

Tip Posting | My Postings (1616) | My Reviews (8) | View Source
DJZ Jun 29, 2013 09:09 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like (1) | Top | Bottom

I guess some people's minds are clouded by wild hyperboles x_x

justmoe1 Jun 29, 2013 11:04 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like (3) | Top | Bottom

at what point in this thread did people all of sudden start to think red cross was government controlled? the only control is managing(budgeting) public funds given to red cross by the government. once handed over there is no government involved. most money given by the government to these organizations are used for whatever dept they represent. ex. shelters, food lines, clothing etc.. are heavily funded by bc housing.

Westcoast Jun 29, 2013 08:48 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like (3) | Top | Bottom

Yes, that country of Africa. WTF, it's a Continent numbnuts. You gonna give Sierre Leone $100 ? Chad $100 ? Nigeria $100 ? Somalia $100 ? South Africa $100 ? Congo ?

WHAT ?

If you believe that putting a band-aid on any Country in Africa will make a difference, you would be wrong. The charities can only put a band-aid on it, they can't change the tyrannical governments from doing what they have done, will do, and also will steal.

Alberta (our own civilians) need water and food, regardless of how rich they are. When they do finally get that government money and back on their feet, they will be more productive and can contribute to our own Country instead of pilfering your money into a corrupt deserted continent.

You've seen to many world vision commercials tart.

Tip Posting | My Postings (11104) | My Reviews (13) | View Source
DJZ Jun 29, 2013 10:55 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like (1) | Top | Bottom

That's what I used to think. I was told if you want to help poor countries, you have to do durable development so they can become independent.

Then I realized that it's dumb. Durable development is great, but until that happens if support suddenly stopped, literally hundreds of thousands of refugees would die within months.

You see, the corruption that you loathe is not the fault of the citizens, they suffer from it. Many of them survive solely off of external, immediate help. And we can't just drop  agriculture everywhere. So yeah maybe it's inefficient but it's necessary.

Quote: (Westcoast @ Jun 29 2013, 08:48 PM)

Alberta (our own civilians) need water and food, regardless of how rich they are. When they do finally get that government money and back on their feet, they will be more productive and can contribute to our own Country instead of pilfering your money into a corrupt deserted continent.

You're not worth any more to me than an unproductive black kid in Africa who's starving. And his corrupt government perhaps makes me sympathize even more for him.

And don't get me wrong, I understand your little nationalism gig, but the fact that you suggested that we should take care of our own mainly because they're economically productive is quite sickening. I think Analbumcover would die inside if he read that, and rightly so.

Westcoast: Rich white Canadians are worth more than those dummies in the Central African Republic.

Also please note that Terwax didn't say that Africa is a country... He referred to children starving in Africa. That's a thing, just like "Europeans doing X and Y" is a thing. You can lump a bunch of countries together and talk about the people who inhabit those countries. It's not illegal or wrong or anything.

Westcoast Jun 29, 2013 11:10 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like (2) | Top | Bottom

DJZ, you're a total idiot. Still a belief that giving out soup will solve it all. Weak.

Tip Posting | My Postings (11104) | My Reviews (13) | View Source
PREV   |   NEXT   1 2  

Call Queue
Now Serving
Avg. Response Time
Estimate: 103 mins
Request Call Back
(Web Orders Only)

Recent Experts
1. Greg * NCIX.com (32980)
2. Saberon (14959)
3. Spork™ (13846)
4. MasterFuji (781)
5. Dr. Steve Brule (424)
All Time Experts
1. Mr. Friendly™ (51387)
2. The Wizard (39824)
3. death_hawk™ (35144)
4. Not An Expert (26343)
5. Lance W (25246)

Your Order Company Info Memberships Services Hotlinks
Order Status
RMAs (Merchandise returns)
F.A.Q.
Contact Us / Store Locator
Careers
Terms & Conditions
Privacy Policy
NCIX Rewards
Premier Partner Reseller Program
VIP Memberships
Advantage Membership
Affiliate Program
Super Shipping Saver Club
Express Coverage
Express RMA
Express Shipping Service
Express Exchange and Care Coverage
Gift Cards & Balance Checker
Advanced Store Price Match
NCIX Newsletters
NCIX Forums
Folding @ Home Team
The Banner Vault
International Sites:  Canada
Get the best discount computers online for online computer shopping and discount PC computer components as well as notebook computers, laptops and Canada custom computers for the best deals on computers.
NCIX.com provides Canada the best priced computers in the country for computer components and computer parts and computer accessories with the best online computer store in Canada for your personal and business computer needs.
At NCIX you can build your own computer online as well as search for the cheapest and best video cards, computer processors and CPUs, motherboards computer memory RAM, ssd and hard drives with the fastest shipping in Canada and the US.
So for discount computers online NCIX provides the cheapest digital cameras, printers, motherboards, flash memory, PC speakers and computer electronics with the best Canadian computer and Canadian online computer shopping website in the world.

NCIX.com is powered by Intel® Xeon® Quad Core Processors
Copyright© 2014 NCIX.com/Netlink Computer Inc. All rights reserved. S / Server ID:74 20140916124735  343 ms