Shop by Category | Brand | Order Tracking | Customer Care | Contact Us | Wishlist | My Account |
All
  • All Departments
  • Digital Download
Cart
My Drafts
General Topics
  Tech News
  What's New
  NCIX.com Q&A
  Important Notices
  General Discussions
  Suggestions/Feedback
  Site Bug Reports
  PC Builder Workshop
  NCIX Gaming Community
  NCIX Tech Tips
  Linus Tech Tips
  NCIX Esther
  Manufacturer Support
  CPU Discussions
  Video Cards
  Power Supplies
  Folding @ Home
  Moderated
  Off Topic
  Overclocking
  Product Requests
  PC Modding
Software Topics
  Operating Systems
  Linux
  Freeware/Shareware
  Open Source Projects
  Driver Updates
Broadband Topics
  Shaw Cable
  Telus ADSL
  Speed Test Reports
FAQs
  NCIX FAQs
  Hardware FAQs
  Overclocking FAQs
  Other FAQs
  Software FAQs
Top Categories
  Blu-Ray Drives
  Bundle Deals
  Camcorders
  CD & DVD Drives
  Chromebook
  Computer Cases
  CPU Heatsinks
  DDR2 Desktop Memory
  DDR3 Desktop Memory
  Digital Cameras
  External Hard Drives
  Fans & Cooling
  Hard Drives
  HTPC Accessories
  Inkjet Printers
  Internet Routers
  Keyboards
  Laser Printers
  LCD Monitors
  Mice & Pointing Devices
  Mobile Phones
  Modding
  Motherboards
  Multi-Function Printers
  Network Adapters
  Network Storage NAS
  Network Switches
  PC Games
  PlayStation 3 Games
  Power Supplies
  Processors (CPUs)
  Scanners
  SD Secure Digital
  Solid State Drives - SSD
  Speakers & Audio
  UPS/Power Management
  USB Flash Drives
  Video Cards
  Water Cooling
  Webcams
  Wireless Accessories
  XBox 360
 LATEST TOPICS |  FORUMS » GENERAL DISCUSSIONS » BLU RAY DRIVE FOR FUTURE PROOFING?...
Subject: Blu ray drive for future proofing?
Share this:  
Author Date Posted Tools
Sachin_B Jan 28, 2013 04:46 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

I just wanted to ask another question as I build my computer part by part. Just got the SSD done.

For a gaming computer, would it be wise to fork over the extra money for a blu ray drive instead of a DVD thinking in the near future games will come on blu ray discs? I know the trend is going towards digital downloads though, and I dont intend to use a blu ray drive to watch movies.

However, still, I'd like to place the question...

Topic URL: http://forums.ncix.com/forums/topic.php?id=2587786

Tip Posting | My Postings (231) | My Reviews (1) | View Source
Dwarrior Jan 28, 2013 04:50 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

nah, I honestly dont see the need. With digital donwloads I havent even used a disc to install a game in almost 2 years now. And the older ones that dont have digital downloads I just get the digital install cd's from various "places" and run with no-cd patches.

Only time my dvd drive ever gets used is when I need to make a windows cd and cant seem to find my USB drive lol, those dam usb drives just seem to walk into different parts of my house whenever I need it.

This message was modified by the poster at 01 28, 2013 04:50 PM

Tip Posting | My Postings (1621) | My Reviews (36) | View Source
Doug_the_Slug Jan 28, 2013 04:51 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

I made a pair of gaming machines for my wife and I.

They don't include optical drives at all.

If you really need to read a disk, get a USB reader.

Tip Posting | My Postings (5802) | My Reviews (336) | View Source
Greg * NCIX.com Jan 28, 2013 04:59 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

No. I don't see PC games being released on Blu-Ray anytime soon, or at all. Too many machines out there with DVD drives to limit your market.

At least not until Blu-Ray drives are the same price as DVD drives are now.

Tip Posting | My Postings (23797) | My Reviews (7) | My Profile | View Source
d2frm Jan 28, 2013 06:23 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

The answer is no. Movies are practically the only reason why Blu-Ray exists, and for those you can simply use a PS3 - which, coincidentally, beats every other BR player out there for future-proofing purposes.

I'd rather carry an external 3.5" HDD on the road than use BR at all.

Tip Posting | My Postings (2627) | My Reviews (7) | View Source
AEO Jan 28, 2013 08:00 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

The trend is for digital downloads, like steam; BD was dead technology when it left the door.

The only valid use for BD are for movies, but even then...

Tip Posting | My Postings (7321) | My Reviews (45) | View Source
{--M--} Jan 28, 2013 08:39 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

But even then... what?

I have yet to see an online alternative to BD that offers equal or better picture quality.

Also, not everyone has access to internet fast enough to stream such high bitrate content. Remember not everyone lives in large cities.

BD movies aren't dead yet, far from it.

Now if only they could decrease the price a little and drop  the DRM....

Tip Posting | My Postings (9154) | My Reviews (15) | My Profile | View Source
d2frm Jan 29, 2013 10:18 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

When I get a portable BR drive next month, I'm definately pairing it with AnyDVD, because I have zero patience with the DRM bullcrap that festers on these things like the Black Death.

Thing is, remove the network connection issues and the argument for BR goes away completely, because at that point you also get rid of the horrible compression (and with that, horrible picture quality) that comes with limited bandwidth.

AEO Jan 29, 2013 11:07 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

If you rip your BD movies to a HDD, you can keep the same quality in a more compact size.

1TB portable could hold 20x uncompressed 50GB BD discs. Compression can give you 80x or more.

Tip Posting | My Postings (7321) | My Reviews (45) | View Source
{--M--} Jan 29, 2013 03:06 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like (1) | Top | Bottom

Yes, but that does not eliminate the need for a BD drive and buying the BD discs in the first place. You need to use the disc at least once, can't get a BD movie out of thin air!

Sachin_B Jan 29, 2013 03:41 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Thanks! I'll just grab a DVD drive. Saves some cash too. :)

chris_b Jan 29, 2013 06:18 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

respectfully disagree

Tip Posting | My Postings (1052) | My Reviews (4) | View Source
Sachin_B Feb 02, 2013 09:03 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Just a follow up. Call me paranoid for a piece of hardware worth 20 bucks, but when I went into store I picked up the DVD drive OEM. They packed it up and off I went (was late getting back to work!). Anyways, I noticed the DVD drive just comes in a plastic bag thats open. Just the drive and a DVD inside with software? Arnt they supposed to come sealed/taped bags etc? Did I just buy an open box at regular price? I havnt got time to do the install yet....

Question falls down to: Did anyone buy a new OEM DVD drive and do they all come in open bags normally?

thanks     :(

This message was modified by the poster at 02 02, 2013 09:02 AM

TKSS Feb 02, 2013 09:42 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

That's normal for OEM.

Tip Posting | My Postings (3842) | My Reviews (8) | View Source
TetraSky Feb 02, 2013 10:35 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

OEM drive~ Completely normal. Even mine was like that.

Tip Posting | My Postings (2148) | My Reviews (15) | View Source
AnGelzzz Feb 02, 2013 12:18 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Well you're wrong.

Until the majority of people have the ability to stream 25Mbps+ video and 3Mbps+ audio over the internet, it ain't gonna happen. Most people don't care about quality, one of the reasons why Blockbuster video is no longer around. Unfortunately, while Blu-ray is doing pretty good, it's probably going to become a niche market soon.

I didn't spend 5k on home theatre equipment to be subjected to Netflix and Shaw on Demand.

This message was modified by the poster at 02 02, 2013 12:18 PM

Tip Posting | My Postings (2374) | My Reviews (110) | View Source
Sachin_B Feb 02, 2013 07:51 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Thanks guys, I wish they would at least put a sticker holding the bag closed...but thats ok as long as its new. Its what I paid for after all.

Anyways, on the side discussion here about bluray discs. Well, I became an avid collector ever since joining the bluray.com community. Over 500 movies later (amarays, digibooks, steelbooks...you name it) I can easily tell the difference between Netflix and a movie on actual disc is quite noticable through video compression and audio. Given audio is uncompressed, blu ray video is still compressed at 25GB or 50GB limits. Until a format allows much higher allowance in data, fully uncompressed video will not happen in a real sense. However, if 25/50 is compressed and thats as good as you can get, compressed that video down to fit on a standard DVD defeats the purpose for myself in providing the least amount of compression artifacts etc. seen on screen.

Key examples of movies that use 40gb or more if you want to compare, Kingdom of Heaven, Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End
Pearl Harbor, Spider-Man 3 to name a handful. Thats why we invest in new audio formats like DTS-MA or DD TrueHD for example. Preferaably PCM for myself, but as long as it is uncompressed, you'll get the best quality all around in audio. Right now people prefer Dual Layer blurays (50GB) over the 25GB counter parts. Some movies released in NA on 25GB were released with a different master as 50GB DL in another region. And the difference s very noticable. Although the codecs used for compression are also very important.

Netflix, downloading, streaming may in the end take the biggest share, but it wasnt because of better or equal quality. More likely cheaper price point.

Like the above poster mentioned, after spending thousands on quality AV gear (axiom speakers are the best btw...!        ) I didnt invest that much to subscribe to media such as Netflix. And although buyng movies can cost a pretty penny, especially on release day, it is without a doubt worth it. Once you go that direction with the right equipment, going anything less is torture for me now.

You'll notice compression especially the larger screen you go, 50"+ and especially people with projectors running 80"+ will see the biggest differences. Thats why upcoming 4k as a video format is a large boon to people running larger screens. 1080p on 120" screen just doesnt look as good as it should unless you are sitting far enough back calculating proper screen size to seating distance.

thats my thoughts on this for everyone. Man I edited this a billion times it seems lol...

This message was modified by the poster at 02 02, 2013 07:51 PM

This message was modified by the poster at 02 02, 2013 07:52 PM

This message was modified by the poster at 02 02, 2013 07:55 PM

This message was modified by the poster at 02 02, 2013 08:02 PM

This message was modified by the poster at 02 02, 2013 08:18 PM

This message was modified by the poster at 02 02, 2013 08:21 PM

This message was modified by the poster at 02 02, 2013 08:24 PM

This message was modified by the poster at 02 02, 2013 09:40 PM

justmoe1 Feb 03, 2013 03:54 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like (1) | Top | Bottom

wow you are dreaming. nobody streams them cause they are d/l them. more then half of the BD content available is not even 1080p. so more then half of the media out there is not nearly as big as a 1080p file or 3d file. BD is a dead platform, nobody has told them yet.

Tip Posting | My Postings (7325) | My Reviews (21) | View Source
justmoe1 Feb 03, 2013 06:07 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like (1) | Top | Bottom

the internet may not be thin but is just air. d/l it like many others in canada.

Sachin_B Feb 03, 2013 09:24 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like (1) | Top | Bottom

I cant agree with this, aside the legalities alone, the copies people download off the net came from somewhere. Most likely a single blu ray disc ripped and put online to proliferate into thousands of computers grabbing that said copy for free.

I like to support the industry, be it games or movies. What will happen when BD fails because of lack of sales? Where will those free copies from the net come from? Games are becoming ever more strict with DRM. Eventually for movies, like games, you may need a persistant internet connection just to watch it (not to stream it). So a single copy for a single user. Sure people may still find a way around, but it will be harder and harder.

Besides! I like to have shelves full of amarays. Its nice to look at :). I know I can save a lot of money by doing the above, risks if any aside. But I dont. Im not here to convince people to support or not support anything, or buy a movie or game. You do what you want to do.

I like to buy my movies and games. In the end though, free downloads is as much a dead end as the other though. Why would I produce a movie or game on media knowing that I have no chance at making a profit on it, be it 10% or 1000% margin, if I know people will just find a way to grab it for free.

Just like in blu ray discs. Why keep making these discs if people are just ripping them and downloading them and/or watching Netflix.

The source that creates the seed will be gone for good, and another more strict delivery method will be developed. There is a saying for this, "Short term gain, Long term pain". If it isnt sustainable it isnt going to last that way forever.

This message was modified by the poster at 02 03, 2013 09:28 AM

This message was modified by the poster at 02 03, 2013 09:30 AM

{--M--} Feb 03, 2013 11:03 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

And this kind of thinking is exactly the reason why we have to put up with annoying DRM these days.

If piracy wasn't a problem we'd all still be enjoying DRM-free games and movies.

Somebody69 Feb 03, 2013 11:25 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

lol please tell me where you can stream 1080p at bluray quality over the Internet. i know where to get the ~10mbps rips in mkv for streaming, but even that isn't a legit source.

Why are there no external bluray drives? not even a market for them it looks like..

Tip Posting | My Postings (2657) | My Reviews (46) | View Source
d2frm Feb 03, 2013 12:22 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

external portable blu-ray drives?

NCIX doesn't have stock of this stuff apparently.

{--M--} Feb 03, 2013 02:02 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Cause you can buy a 5.25" external enclosure or a slim drive enclosure and stick a BD drive of your choice in it. No need for a pre-made external BD drive.

PC BD drives (even internal ones) are a limited market to begin with, since not much else other than movies use BD and most people use a standalone BD player or a PS3 to play BD movies.

Piezo™ Feb 03, 2013 02:16 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

For a gaming computer it isn't needed, especially if you aren't planning to watch them on the computer. Just a sunken cost really.

BD movies still have a place though, and the prices are coming down. New movies come out on BD for $20-25 to own which isn't actually too bad. Then you have things like redbox where you can rent blurays for dirt cheap ($1.50 IIRC). BDs do have crappy compression though... Toshiba actually had much better compression for HD-DVDs (remember those?) but sadly they didn't win the format war because of money.

Tip Posting | My Postings (3815) | My Reviews (15) | View Source
justmoe1 Feb 03, 2013 02:22 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

lol, support which industry? the price of a ticket has gone up so high that many do not bother with the theatre any longer. peter jackson screwed everyone in north america by releasing a 3d film that has absolutely zero reason for being in 3d. he did it to mark up the theatre tickets and force everyone to either go to theatre or buy it when it releases on blu-ray. the industry you think you are supporting is no longer for the masses and has not been in 5 years. they raised the prices to counter digital downloads. i can guarantee if the internet stopped working and there was no other way to get the film outside the theatre those prices will not go anywhere but up.

do you actually pay over 10.00 dollars to watch a chick flick which has zero value in being theatre size versus on your tv? do you also pay the same amount for the same movie to watch it in blu-ray? you are getting ripped off sucker.

Sachin_B Feb 03, 2013 03:09 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Actually its easy for me, movies essentially cost me nothing to go to really. I buy all my expenses on a Visa Scene card which gives me a movie every 1000.00 spent. I pay it in full and I take no interest payments. No annual fees. I could go for another card but most give 1% cash back which isnt as useful to me since its given per annum. Most others give travel rewards and personally Im not into travelling really, as others may be.

So since I have to buy gas to go to work, groceries to eat, and buy other goods through disposable income. I might as well get a handful of free movies every year by purchasing them on a card with some reward I find personally useful. And its only a handful of movies every year that interests me.

The ones that dont really, I may buy on blu ray when they go on the cheap.

And yes a Scene card gives me a ticket to any show, be it IMAX/3D, Ultra AVX or 2D. Whatever I fancy.

Hate to break it to you, but the whole world is out to rip you off. One way or the other you are being ripped off by someone else. That's life today. Accept it or do something about. Be it the gas prices at the pumps, the movies you so mention, the taxes you pay into that line the pockets of other people but seldom go towards what they intend (just look into our liberal government and alleged spending habits over their long term..), the people taking advantage of your social system, the majority of wealth funelling to the smallest percentile, artificially low interest rates keeping you from having a safe growing savings account....should I go on? If you want to crusade and make a difference, you might as well put all that energy into changing something more significant than downloading a movie  

Downloading anything for free isnt changing anything but will just make everything worse for everyone in the end, especially in a rather complacent population such as us Canadians.

This message was modified by the poster at 02 03, 2013 03:11 PM

This message was modified by the poster at 02 03, 2013 03:12 PM

d2frm Feb 03, 2013 03:12 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

PC Mastercard. Food > movies any day, sorry.

{--M--} Feb 03, 2013 03:52 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

I'll admit that for the most part, I pick up Blu-Ray movies only when they go on sale around $10-$15. There is the occasional exception though when it's a really good movie that I really want to have then it's worth paying a little extra for not having to wait for the sale.

Generally speaking, yeah, the prices are outrageous. Especially 3D Blu-Rays, I've seen some as high as $50 which is daylight robbery! But I don't do 3D though.

Quote: (justmoe1 @ Feb 03 2013, 02:22 PM)

do you actually pay over 10.00 dollars to watch a chick flick which has zero value in being theatre size versus on your tv? do you also pay the same amount for the same movie to watch it in blu-ray? you are getting ripped off sucker.

I don't watch chick flicks and I tend to choose which movies I watch carefully so I don't usually watch ****ty movies. Also, I only buy movies that have replay value.

So yeah, I definitely do agree that the prices are wrong. I bet if they removed the annoying DRM/HDCP and cut prices in half, a lot more people would be buying Blu-Ray movies.

Call Queue
Now Serving
Avg. Response Time
Estimate: 58 mins
Request Call Back
(Web Orders Only)

Recent Experts
1. Mr. Friendly™ (54792)
2. Greg * NCIX.com (33162)
3. Saberon (15253)
4. Spork™ (13981)
5. MasterFuji (916)
All Time Experts
1. Mr. Friendly™ (51387)
2. The Wizard (39824)
3. death_hawk™ (35144)
4. Not An Expert (26343)
5. Lance W (25246)

Your Order Company Info Memberships Services Hotlinks
Order Status
RMAs (Merchandise returns)
F.A.Q.
Contact Us / Store Locator
Careers
Terms & Conditions
Privacy Policy
NCIX Rewards
Premier Partner Reseller Program
VIP Memberships
Advantage Membership
Affiliate Program
Super Shipping Saver Club
Express Coverage
Express RMA
Express Shipping Service
Express Exchange and Care Coverage
Gift Cards & Balance Checker
Advanced Store Price Match
Black Friday Sale
Boxing Week Sale
NCIX Newsletters
NCIX Forums
Folding @ Home Team
The Banner Vault
International Sites:  Canada
Get the best discount computers online for online computer shopping and discount PC computer components as well as notebook computers, laptops and Canada custom computers for the best deals on computers.
NCIX.com provides Canada the best priced computers in the country for computer components and computer parts and computer accessories with the best online computer store in Canada for your personal and business computer needs.
At NCIX you can build your own computer online as well as search for the cheapest and best video cards, computer processors and CPUs, motherboards computer memory RAM, ssd and hard drives with the fastest shipping in Canada and the US.
So for discount computers online NCIX provides the cheapest digital cameras, printers, motherboards, flash memory, PC speakers and computer electronics with the best Canadian computer and Canadian online computer shopping website in the world.

NCIX.com is powered by Intel® Xeon® Quad Core Processors
Copyright© 2014 NCIX.com/Netlink Computer Inc. All rights reserved. S / Server ID:74 20141030162254  250 ms