Shop by Category | Brand | Order Tracking | Customer Care | Contact Us | Wishlist | My Account |
All
  • All Departments
  • Digital Download
Cart
My Drafts
General Topics
  Tech News
  What's New
  NCIX.com Q&A
  Important Notices
  General Discussions
  Suggestions/Feedback
  Site Bug Reports
  PC Builder Workshop
  NCIX Gaming Community
  NCIX Tech Tips
  Linus Tech Tips
  NCIX Esther
  Manufacturer Support
  CPU Discussions
  Video Cards
  Power Supplies
  Folding @ Home
  Moderated
  Off Topic
  Overclocking
  Product Requests
  PC Modding
Software Topics
  Operating Systems
  Linux
  Freeware/Shareware
  Open Source Projects
  Driver Updates
Broadband Topics
  Shaw Cable
  Telus ADSL
  Speed Test Reports
FAQs
  NCIX FAQs
  Hardware FAQs
  Overclocking FAQs
  Other FAQs
  Software FAQs
Top Categories
  Blu-Ray Drives
  Bundle Deals
  Camcorders
  CD & DVD Drives
  Chromebook
  Computer Cases
  CPU Heatsinks
  DDR2 Desktop Memory
  DDR3 Desktop Memory
  Digital Cameras
  External Hard Drives
  Fans & Cooling
  Hard Drives
  HTPC Accessories
  Inkjet Printers
  Internet Routers
  Keyboards
  Laser Printers
  LCD Monitors
  Mice & Pointing Devices
  Mobile Phones
  Modding
  Motherboards
  Multi-Function Printers
  Network Adapters
  Network Storage NAS
  Network Switches
  PC Games
  PlayStation 3 Games
  Power Supplies
  Processors (CPUs)
  Scanners
  SD Secure Digital
  Solid State Drives - SSD
  Speakers & Audio
  UPS/Power Management
  USB Flash Drives
  Video Cards
  Water Cooling
  Webcams
  Wireless Accessories
  XBox 360
 LATEST TOPICS |  FORUMS » GENERAL DISCUSSIONS » BELL IMPOSES NEW LIMITS ON TEKSAVVY INTE...
Subject: Bell Imposes New Limits On Teksavvy Internet
Share this:  
PREV   |   NEXT   1 2 3  
Author Date Posted Tools
AskGreg™ Mar 19, 2009 06:34 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Delete Image. Please use this feature thoughtfully.  Report this image 

With the new limits
What are your thoughts?

Personally, I don't want the internet at all anymore.

This message was modified by the poster at 03 19, 2009 06:43 AM

Topic URL: http://forums.ncix.com/forums/topic.php?id=1977550

Tip Posting | My Postings (6460) | My Reviews (0) | My Profile | View Source
Commander Waffles Mar 19, 2009 06:45 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Well, I hope the Canadian government steps in and slaps them around, but it will never happen

Tip Posting | My Postings (761) | My Reviews (52) | View Source
AskGreg™ Mar 19, 2009 06:46 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Actually this is the governments doing,
After the CRTC passed the new regulations to give us higher speeds and reasonable caps.
Bell went to the gov and got this part passed instead and no higher speeds.
Under the threat of bell never upgrading the network ever again.

This message was modified by the poster at 03 19, 2009 06:47 AM

Frustian Mar 19, 2009 06:47 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

2/20/60GB caps? What bull. The thing is they can do it with impunity because very other Canadian ISP is doing the same thing, so what are you going to do? Not use the internet?

tbh this should be illegal for telecoms to do this, but as always they will get away with it since nobody in the fed wants to do anything, even the organizations put in place to stop things like this.

$1.25/GB overage fees? It will probably be cheaper to get a T1 line than to pay the overage fees outlined there. And $2.50/GB for Bell service, no way I would ever consider that.

This message was modified by the poster at 03 19, 2009 06:48 AM

Tip Posting | My Postings (2581) | My Reviews (16) | View Source
patpond Mar 19, 2009 06:49 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

w0w, so much for that 'Unlimited' account

that's a little excessive...

Tip Posting | My Postings (610) | My Reviews (11) | View Source
AskGreg™ Mar 19, 2009 06:49 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Not entirely, I'll use the internet from the library.
I am never gonna buy internet again though for one
And I will never buy tv service, cause all this is partly their fault.
I will give up the radio too, cause its partly musicians fault too.
And I'll never buy music or movies again, cause its mainly the RIAA and MPAA's faults.

Alter3d Reality Mar 19, 2009 06:56 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Unfortunately, even with a T1 you're still dumping money in Bell's pocket (local loop fee).

Tip Posting | My Postings (11439) | My Reviews (11) | My Profile | View Source
ftp1020 Mar 19, 2009 07:12 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Quote: (AskGreg™ k Mar 19 2009, 06:46 AM)

Bell went to the gov and got this part passed instead and no higher speeds.

It's not passed yet; this is Bell's proposed tariff changes. A similar situation existed in Australia, but the independent ISPs there actually spent some money and built their own separate infrastructure rather than rely fully (as Teksavvy does) on incumbent telco infrastructure.

Edit: the problem in Canada isn't that Bell (et al) owning the last mile of copper, but what happens after aggregation at the Central Office. In Australia, the independents co-locate at the CO level, whereas here in Canada they rely on Bell (et al) to do the backhaul from Central Office to their nearest point-of-presence (in eastern Canada, 151 Front St in Toronto).

That really is the only way to get out from under the incestuous relationship the CRTC has with the cable and telco monopolies.

This message was modified by the poster at 03 19, 2009 07:16 AM

This message was modified by the poster at 03 19, 2009 07:16 AM

Tip Posting | My Postings (924) | My Reviews (55) | My Profile | View Source
AskGreg™ Mar 19, 2009 07:18 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

You can't beat the banker at monopoly and thats the issue here.
Bell is making their own services less attractive and hurting themselves making people switch to cable.

They are not doing whats in their own best interests.
They are all working under the demands of the distribution companies who want to turn the internet into a pay per site service.
Where only their site , that sponsors the isp, gets unlimited.
And you get $3 per GB for non sponsored sites.

TV/Games/Movies/Music are all to blame, for our internet issues and I'll give them all up, forever now.
I own enough dvd's, enough blu rays, enough games, enough music to last me to the day I die.

And if I want new stuff or internet access, I can always goto the library

This message was modified by the poster at 03 19, 2009 07:20 AM

Michael_G Mar 19, 2009 07:33 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

They have only filed a application to change the GAS. (which TS use's to get internet to you)

There is a multipage hate bell disaster theard about this on dslreports in the teksavvy area.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r22084387-Bell-files-a-half-assed-tarrif

This message was modified by the poster at 03 19, 2009 07:33 AM

Tip Posting | My Postings (88) | My Reviews (14) | View Source
Philippe_L Mar 19, 2009 07:46 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Well ... I am not very surprised. Bell had these rates for over a year now in my area. I don't remember the cost/GB over the limit though. 60GB for the 5mbps line was there last year when I asked about it.

The worst thing is that cable isnt any better in term of rates and fees but at least I have had better customer service.

This message was modified by the poster at 03 19, 2009 07:46 AM

Tip Posting | My Postings (1159) | My Reviews (26) | View Source
Keywork Mar 19, 2009 08:09 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

That bill/tariff is absolute Horse s**t. I switched over to teksavvy a few months back and I did that solely on the aspects which this "bill" is set on degrading. If that 8$ increase or so goes through on the 5Mb connection, as well as the new caps, i would certainly consider switching back to cable......but we'll see. I really hope this doesn't go throughI just want my Teksavvy :(

Tip Posting | My Postings (486) | My Reviews (3) | View Source
nakano2k1 Mar 19, 2009 09:32 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

I don't know about other cable providers in the rest of the country but Rogers Cable Internet has the exact same cap. 60gb a month for their express service and throttling during peak hours I believe.

You can, however, get the "Extreme" service where you get an additional 2ogb a month (whoopie...) but you have to buy the modem and pay extra every month...

There really isn't a winning solution for consumers right now...

Tip Posting | My Postings (990) | My Reviews (19) | View Source
Alter3d Reality Mar 19, 2009 09:51 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

I'm on Extreme and I rent the modem. You also get 35GB extra, not 20GB (still crap though).

And Rogers caps the over-use fee at $25. I've done >1TB in a month before and only got charged the extra $25.

Lucineri Mar 19, 2009 09:53 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Over limit fees don't sound so bad with rogers then, given that cap on the fees...

I do hope though that the government steps in before it's absolutely too late though, as these measures are only going to hurt people

Tip Posting | My Postings (468) | My Reviews (14) | View Source
Alter3d Reality Mar 19, 2009 09:58 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

I should try to find my bill where I did something like 1.3TB. My bill says something like $1800, then a $1700 'credit' (to bring it down to the $25 cap), and there's this box that says "Congratulations! You saved $1700 this month on your Rogers services!".

Once my fileserver is up and running (ugh, dumb thing) I'm gonna try to break 3TB in a month just for the hell of it.

Greg_K Mar 19, 2009 10:34 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Nice.

I honestly wish, the CTRC and the rest of the government would realize that fair use and competition are necessary to prevent giant corporations from doing things like this. Further why did the Canadian government give Bell a monopoly over the currently installed copper and expect them not to screw the competition?

Tip Posting | My Postings (598) | My Reviews (3) | View Source
AskGreg™ Mar 19, 2009 10:39 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Not to mention, rogers can kick you off for running publicly accessible servers. Since its against their TOS

James_8970 Mar 19, 2009 10:47 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

We all need to realize that part of the issue is that with HD, bandwidth is increasing dramaticallly in recent years and will continue to do so for the forseable future. My ISP is starting to map out laying down fiber to ever house in the city, something that every ISP will begin thinking about. The costs associated with fiber are significant. Also, my understanding is that bell does a lot of it's service via satellites. I'm not sure about you guys, but I don't think those satellites are going to be able to withstand the demands of HD content as demand increases, which means there will be a lot of trenching if they want to continue to offer their services. At this point in time, EVERY company is looking at doing major upgrades to their network and we are going to start paying out the rear for it whatever which way we want to look at it.
With that in mind, 2GB caps are still obserd. I think everyone should be entitied to 100GB then pay for overages, with a limited amount. And once you reach x amount of GBs, you're internet ought to be cut till the following month. I know many of you won't agree with me, but to think otherwise is unrealistic. We, the power users place the greatest load on the network, thus we should pay the greatest fee for said service.
James

This message was modified by the poster at 03 19, 2009 10:47 AM

This message was modified by the poster at 03 19, 2009 11:11 AM

Tip Posting | My Postings (7442) | My Reviews (36) | View Source
AskGreg™ Mar 19, 2009 10:49 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Right now, our ISP's profit greatly from content that is not theirs.

They wanna talk about protecting copyright holders.
What about those who they profit from , they are the biggest breachers of copyright, by profiting from content that is not theirs.

This message was modified by the poster at 03 19, 2009 10:51 AM

Barber Mar 19, 2009 10:55 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

I just pay 20$ extra per month since every single month, me and my two roommates go over 95GB combined. We have rogers and I wish they just had a plan that costs 20$ extra and had unlimited. Plus for the three of us that only works out to like 7 dollars extra, not a big deal considering we don't pay for cable, we stream everything.

Tip Posting | My Postings (734) | My Reviews (10) | View Source
Greg_K Mar 19, 2009 10:58 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Its true that laying fiber is expensive, however in the majority of the cases, new infrastructure is paid for by the tax payer (or even the consumer - in some cases, the last mile cost can be placed upon the consumer). The issue I have, is when tax payer funded infrastructure is used to gouge the consumer (a 2GB cap IMHO is designed to create  overage fees - and thus gouge the customer).

James_8970 Mar 19, 2009 10:59 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

While true, they don't have control over what people do with their services. Like any other company, they want to make a profit. I said it once and I'll say it again, each and every one of these companies are going to have to take a HUGE undertaking in the next couple of years to upgrade their infrastructure. They have to issue caps in order to make their infrastucture last. Does it need an upgrade? God yes, but like I have said, that's a huge undertaking and will require a significant amount of money.

Quote: (AskGreg™ @ Mar 19 2009, 10:49 AM)

What about those who they profit from , they are the biggest breachers of copyright, by profiting from content that is not theirs.

Yeah and the same extends to blank media and just about every other distribution.

James

SKYMTL Mar 19, 2009 11:00 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

What we need is a pay per useage system for residentail customers in addition to a basic access fee. Much like we pay for electricity.

Say a $10 access fee in addition to a $0.35 / GB charge.

That would work out to $45 for 100GB and so on.

I think that is more than fair since people will begin paying for exactly how much they use.

Tip Posting | My Postings (9112) | My Reviews (20) | My Profile | View Source
James_8970 Mar 19, 2009 11:02 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

If our taxes pay for this, I'll be pissed. That being said, there are more costs associated with infrastructure costs then just trenching, though the majority of the costs do lay with laying the fiber down in the ground. ALso, yeah, the 2GB cap is stupidly low, which is why I said it's obserd. I don't think any ISP should be able to implement a restriction that low.
James

Alter3d Reality Mar 19, 2009 11:09 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Or use burstable billing (e.g. 95th percentile). Everyone gets an e.g. 10Mbit connection, but pays $20 access fee + $50/Mbit at 95th percentile.

If you're a user who would typically get a 'lite' (e.g. 512Kbps) package, your bill would be close to $20. If you want to pin your connection 24/7 for the entire month, then you pay $520.

The downside to burstable billing is that it's confusing for some people to understand.

SKYMTL Mar 19, 2009 11:20 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

True but the current system just isn't working for anyone. I download MAYBE 20GB per month but I want speed so I need to step up to a high speed 100GB package. That just doesn't make sense.

So, give everyone per use billing and high speeds. Everyone wins and the people who download tons of stuff will end up paying what they should.

Tip Posting | My Postings (9112) | My Reviews (20) | My Profile | View Source
Apollo4g Mar 19, 2009 11:21 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Glad i went with Colbanet, unlimited FTW!
Hope it stays that way.

A shame they are only in Quebec and Ontario.

Tip Posting | My Postings (4302) | My Reviews (151) | View Source
James_8970 Mar 19, 2009 11:22 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

My ISP is unlimited as well, but I wouldn't expect that to last for long. It's just not a sustainable service.
James

Greg_K Mar 19, 2009 11:30 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

The majority of the deployment funding comes from a partnership between a federal, provincial and municipal governments (at least that was the case when laying the copper phone lines - I would guess that this is the case with Fiber to 'x' networks). I can't find the exact amount allocated to broadband internet access (I would probably have to search through a large number of budgets to even get an estimate on what is allocated). Even if its 5% of the infrastructure amounts allocated from year to year, its still significant.

From,
http://www.fin.gc.ca/n08/09-011-eng.asp
Immediate Action to Build Infrastructure

Expanding and accelerating the recent historic federal investment in infrastructure with almost $12 billion in new infrastructure stimulus funding for roads, bridges, broadband internet access, electronic health records, laboratories and border crossings across the country. This will support economic growth and employment this year and next while also bolstering Canada’s long-run productive capacity.

PREV   |   NEXT   1 2 3  

Call Queue
Now Serving
Closed
Avg. Response Time
Closed
Request Call Back
(Web Orders Only)

Recent Experts
1. Greg * NCIX.com (33037)
2. Saberon (15053)
3. Spork™ (13898)
4. Cannon Fodder (8525)
5. MasterFuji (835)
All Time Experts
1. Mr. Friendly™ (51387)
2. The Wizard (39824)
3. death_hawk™ (35144)
4. Not An Expert (26343)
5. Lance W (25246)

Your Order Company Info Memberships Services Hotlinks
Order Status
RMAs (Merchandise returns)
F.A.Q.
Contact Us / Store Locator
Careers
Terms & Conditions
Privacy Policy
NCIX Rewards
Premier Partner Reseller Program
VIP Memberships
Advantage Membership
Affiliate Program
Super Shipping Saver Club
Express Coverage
Express RMA
Express Shipping Service
Express Exchange and Care Coverage
Gift Cards & Balance Checker
Advanced Store Price Match
Black Friday Sale
Boxing Week Sale
NCIX Newsletters
NCIX Forums
Folding @ Home Team
The Banner Vault
International Sites:  Canada
Get the best discount computers online for online computer shopping and discount PC computer components as well as notebook computers, laptops and Canada custom computers for the best deals on computers.
NCIX.com provides Canada the best priced computers in the country for computer components and computer parts and computer accessories with the best online computer store in Canada for your personal and business computer needs.
At NCIX you can build your own computer online as well as search for the cheapest and best video cards, computer processors and CPUs, motherboards computer memory RAM, ssd and hard drives with the fastest shipping in Canada and the US.
So for discount computers online NCIX provides the cheapest digital cameras, printers, motherboards, flash memory, PC speakers and computer electronics with the best Canadian computer and Canadian online computer shopping website in the world.

NCIX.com is powered by Intel® Xeon® Quad Core Processors
Copyright© 2014 NCIX.com/Netlink Computer Inc. All rights reserved. S / Server ID:74 20141001071634  297 ms