Shop by Category | Brand | Order Tracking | Customer Care | Contact Us | Wishlist | My Account |
All
  • All Departments
  • Digital Download
Cart
My Drafts
General Topics
  Tech News
  What's New
  NCIX.com Q&A
  Important Notices
  General Discussions
  Suggestions/Feedback
  Site Bug Reports
  PC Builder Workshop
  NCIX Gaming Community
  NCIX Tech Tips
  Linus Tech Tips
  NCIX Esther
  Manufacturer Support
  CPU Discussions
  Video Cards
  Power Supplies
  Folding @ Home
  Moderated
  Off Topic
  Overclocking
  Product Requests
  PC Modding
Software Topics
  Operating Systems
  Linux
  Freeware/Shareware
  Open Source Projects
  Driver Updates
Broadband Topics
  Shaw Cable
  Telus ADSL
  Speed Test Reports
FAQs
  NCIX FAQs
  Hardware FAQs
  Overclocking FAQs
  Other FAQs
  Software FAQs
Top Categories
  Blu-Ray Drives
  Bundle Deals
  Camcorders
  CD & DVD Drives
  Chromebook
  Computer Cases
  CPU Heatsinks
  DDR2 Desktop Memory
  DDR3 Desktop Memory
  Digital Cameras
  External Hard Drives
  Fans & Cooling
  Hard Drives
  HTPC Accessories
  Inkjet Printers
  Internet Routers
  Keyboards
  Laser Printers
  LCD Monitors
  Mice & Pointing Devices
  Mobile Phones
  Modding
  Motherboards
  Multi-Function Printers
  Network Adapters
  Network Storage NAS
  Network Switches
  PC Games
  PlayStation 3 Games
  Power Supplies
  Processors (CPUs)
  Scanners
  SD Secure Digital
  Solid State Drives - SSD
  Speakers & Audio
  UPS/Power Management
  USB Flash Drives
  Video Cards
  Water Cooling
  Webcams
  Wireless Accessories
  XBox 360
 LATEST TOPICS |  FORUMS » MONITORS » WARNING! STILL ONLY 24 FPS IN 1080P!...

BenQ W1070 Home Theatre DLP Projector 3D Ready 1080P 10000:1 2000 ANSI Lumens 2XHDMI 1.4A

Texas Instruments, Native 1080P DarkChip3 DLP technology
BenQ W1070 Home Theatre DLP Projector 3D Ready 1080P 10000:1 2000 ANSI Lumens 2XHDMI 1.4A
Actual product may not be exactly as shown.
Customer Photos (0)
BenQ

Express Shipping
Our Price: $779.99  CAD
Savings Code 77677-1011. SAVE $320.00 off our regular price of $1,099.99 if you buy today! Special price ends 9/3/2014.
Special Offer:
Get the BenQ 144Hz DLP Link 3D Glasses for just $59.99! While supplies last!  More Details  
Availability:
In Stock

This item is in stock and will ship as soon as possible. Usually ships in 1-2 business days.
FREE Ground Shipping for this item only!
$779.99 In stock
Protect Your
Investment:
NCIX Care Coverage
Full parts and labour coverage on mechanical and electrical defects, just let us know and we will have it repaired! Learn More
None, I do not want NCIX Care Coverage
NCIX.com 2 Year Care Coverage - Only $139.99
NCIX.com 3 Year Care Coverage - Only $169.99
Avg. Rating:
Share this:
More Product Detail
E-Mail to a friend
More from BenQ
More Home Theater Projectors from BenQ
Similar products
Print this item
Notify me

SKU:  
   Shipping Weight:   8.5 lbs
   Part #: W1070
Subject: Warning! Still only 24 FPS in 1080p!
Share this:  
Author Date Posted Tools
jsimon Nov 23, 2012 01:43 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like (4) | Top | Bottom

According to Linus' video, this is still only 24 FPS in 1080p.

You can do 60 FPS in 720p, but for PC gaming it's probably not too great.

Hopefully we'll start seeing 3D projectors and TVs that can do 60 FPS in 1080p by the time "The Hobbit" comes out since it's filmed at 48 FPS!

Topic URL: http://forums.ncix.com/forums/topic.php?id=2571701

Tip Posting | My Postings (20) | My Reviews (0) | View Source
CoolRonZ Feb 01, 2013 09:07 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like (3) | Top | Bottom

huh ? and so are all 3D BLU-RAYs.... its actually 24FPS per eye.... hence 48FPS....

Tip Posting | My Postings (426) | My Reviews (115) | My Profile | View Source
TetraSky Feb 01, 2013 10:11 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like (1) | Top | Bottom

The point, you missed it.

Tip Posting | My Postings (2104) | My Reviews (15) | View Source
Airspace Mar 19, 2013 07:50 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like (2) | Top | Bottom

The OP seriously does not understand the relation between Hertz and Frames Per Second. The Hz has NOTHING to do with how many FPS the source is rendered at. It is simply the flicker rate of the screen. Yes with Bu-Ray's there is a 24Hz flicker rate, and coincidentally the film industry has chosen 24P (Pages Per Second) which for the most part is the same FPS as their standard, however it is easy to mix the 2 up as the same thing, it is not. This is a very common mis-conception TV manufacturers are exploiting to promote "so called" higher Hz screens = smoother image, which would be true if the source actually had that but the fact is nothing does.

The pixel clear out is far more important. You can have a 120Hz screen with a 8ms clear out and it is unplayable in games, or you can have a 60Hz screen at 2ms that is perfect with no ghosting or choppy. Also if what you say is true, then how can a game run at 100FPS on a 60Hz screen? Better sue every video card maker and game benchmark ever made! CoolRonZ was not wrong. You should also note that having anything above 60Hz from almost any source is simulated and produces an unnatural picture too. Also, very very few humans see above 40FPS, and higher than 24FPS is barely noticeable so as long as it is a constant framerate with no fluctuation like you get with rendering on a computer. When we are playing games and it seems to lag when the frames dip down, it is not stuttery because the FPS dropped from 60 to 30 (for example), but it is stuttery because your eyes noticed the CHANGE in framerate and takes a moment to adjust. Anything slower than 24FPS is clearly noticeable though, I will just clarify that. Myself I do notice a difference from 24 to 30.

But back to the point, I own this projector, and it does do 1080/60P 1920 x 1080 at 60Hz and 1080/24P at 24Hz, as most current LED/Plasma/Projectors are designed to match the standardized source rates (except for cheap knock offs that don't of course lol). Sure you can have one that does Blu-Ray 1080p at 120Hz, but that would not be a very good viewing experience because the playback rate would be altered or interlaced then re-coded back to progressive...which if you notice, true 3D 1080p sources use frame packing at 24Hz (3D gaming on COMPUTERS ONLY is an exception because of the methods used for rendering the data into playable graphics, as it is not a fixed source like a Blu-Ray is, please keep that in mind). Back to Blu-Ray...like the Hobbit, which is 1080/48P 48Hz (non standard) FRAME PACKED, which is where the 3D device then splits the left and right into 2 overlapping 1080/24P at 24Hz images, to make it a standard playback rate on your Blu-Ray player, which sadly often converts it to 1080/60i at 60Hz, which your TV then converts it back to a Progressive image after handling the frame packing, where THAT is where the 3D is choppy and just horrid, like most Passive or low end Active 3D.

Understanding frame packing will help you understand 3D playback and how the device renders to the screen.

Kinda confusing but once you get it, it helps a person understand why when I watch in 3D on this device it is choppy, and on this one it looks better, it just depends on how it mashes it through from the disc to the player, back to the tv, then converted to left and right, then to your eyes. Some just do it better than others without lag. This projector does a wonderful job. Most people that see a good Blu-Ray on this comment on how it is better 3D than on most LED's and Plasma's and better than the theater, not because of the size, but because it has a very very good 3D Frame Packing decoder. Side by side however, I will not, is not so great on it. It can only do it in 1080/60i, no exceptions. So if you plan on doing SBS 3D, consider picking up a device like the Oppa that can properly re-code a SBS to 1080/60p or 24p so you dont have to suffer through interlacing.

The 2nd most important is just having good quality glasses. I have been working on another community with 3rd party glasses, and trust me, its ALL about the glasses on frame packed sources.

If I have any p/i/fps/Hz typos just correct me, when bouncing back and fourth trying to explain it I may have had a dyslexic moment but for the most part it should make sense. LOL

This message was modified by the poster at 03 19, 2013 07:54 PM

This message was modified by the poster at 03 19, 2013 07:56 PM

Tip Posting | My Postings (225) | My Reviews (109) | View Source
AnGelzzz Mar 19, 2013 08:18 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like (3) | Top | Bottom

It's not currently possible to play PC games at 1080p in 3D at any more than 24 FPS. FPS and HZ may not be the same thing, but for all intents and purposes are EQUAL. If you have a 3DTV or projector, you're only gonna be playing 3D games at 60FPS at 720p resolution, just the way it is. HDMI 1.4a does not support anything higher than 24FPS per eye for 3D at 1080p. Also, the Hobbit is not being released on Blu-ray in 48FPS as neither Blu-ray nor HDMI support this currently.

This message was modified by the poster at 03 19, 2013 08:20 PM

Tip Posting | My Postings (2374) | My Reviews (110) | View Source
Jarno Mar 20, 2013 12:52 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like (3) | Top | Bottom

That's only for 3dtv's! 1080p monitors 120fps game on!  And yes sadly i looked into it. Bluray doesnt support the frame rate, The cable just carries a signal it's not the issue.
As for the hobbit it will be released in the 48 fps version when 4k tv's are released and this thing called a redray player takes over bluray.

They are the guys who made the camera's with an epic 5k resolution.  

underlying tone, forget 1080p you missed the boat. Incoming redray

This message was modified by the poster at 03 20, 2013 12:56 PM

Tip Posting | My Postings (523) | My Reviews (0) | View Source
Greg * NCIX.com Mar 20, 2013 01:33 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like (2) | Top | Bottom

Calling it the "flicker rate" is a very poor description. "Frames" IS the correct term for a Blu-Ray movie's frame rate. The projector itself can duplicates the frames to produce a much higher end result frame rate (it displays each frame 6 times).

Quote: (Airspace @ Mar 19 2013, 07:50 PM)

Also if what you say is true, then how can a game run at 100FPS on a 60Hz screen?

It can because it can. A video card will prepare as many frames per second as possible. If VSync is turned on, it will start drawing the latest frame on the next pass. If VSync is turned off, it will start displaying the next frame immediately in the middle of the draw cycle (which leads to on-screen tearing)

Quote: (Airspace @ Mar 19 2013, 07:50 PM)

You should also note that having anything above 60Hz from almost any source is simulated and produces an unnatural picture too. Also, very very few humans see above 40FPS, and higher than 24FPS is barely noticeable so as long as it is a constant framerate with no fluctuation like you get with rendering on a computer.

Yes and no. TV's that report numbers above 60Hz will interpolate and create  new frames. It's not "unnatural", it's that we're used to TV and movies looking blurry. DLP projectors do not do this and simply spit out the same frame multiple times to minimize rainbow effects.

Humans can definitely see above 40fps. Movies are less noticeable because films and TV make use of motion blur. 3D gaming uses little to no motion blur, so 60fps+ frame rates are necessary for fluid motion to look accurate. This is why gaming at 1080p24 isn't advised and 720p60 is a recommended.

Tip Posting | My Postings (23568) | My Reviews (7) | My Profile | View Source
Greg * NCIX.com Mar 20, 2013 01:44 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like (2) | Top | Bottom

Yeah, I've been watching for a HDMI v1.4b projector that will take 3D 1080p60, but nothing exists yet.

Quote: (Jarno @ Mar 20 2013, 12:52 PM)

As for the hobbit it will be released in the 48 fps version when 4k tv's are released and this thing called a redray player takes over bluray.

Hmm, interesting device. Not reliant on physical media, and uses high compression rates to make for a low bitrate stream. I doubt they'll have any commercial success within the next 5 years though.

DJZ Mar 20, 2013 01:49 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like (2) | Top | Bottom

Redray sounds ridiculous :(

Also:
"Today, for less than $5K, 4K footage is as easy to work with as HD."

=(

Tip Posting | My Postings (6648) | My Reviews (42) | View Source
Airspace Mar 21, 2013 07:48 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like (1) | Top | Bottom

Ya that is why I said computers are an exception, I meant that in a sarcastic way, as in they can do it, whereas the OP's line of reasoning would make 100FPS impossible. Sorry bad choice in words.

Tip Posting | My Postings (225) | My Reviews (109) | View Source
Greg * NCIX.com Mar 21, 2013 10:22 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like (4) | Top | Bottom

The OP's reasoning is correct, but basically he's warning people of the limitations that ALL 1080p projectors currently face. It's not recommended to play any games (PC or console) at 1080p on any 3D TV (Projector, LCD, or Plasma).

Stick with 720p or use an actual computer monitor meant to run PC games at 1080p 3D.

3D television and movies on the other hand will play very nicely at 24fps because that's what they are filmed at in the first place. So a 1080p projector like this will do extremely well with a 3D Blu-Ray source.

CoolRonZ May 17, 2013 05:05 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like (2) | Top | Bottom

I think a lot of people get confused, 3DPlay isn't the same as NVision.... It follows the HDMI1.4a standard.... NVision and HD3D both have twice the bandwidth of HDMI1.4a... No matter, a 1080P 3D projector that will actually work with any PC or console etc. for under $1000, that's awesome!!!!! And as far as games go, 30 frames per eye is fine :D

Tip Posting | My Postings (426) | My Reviews (115) | My Profile | View Source
Borna_V Oct 26, 2013 03:12 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like (1) | Top | Bottom

I have this projector and can run 1080P 60Hz with HDMI and Windows/OSX.

Tip Posting | My Postings (1) | My Reviews (0) | View Source
Kahless78 Oct 26, 2013 04:27 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like (2) | Top | Bottom

Most movies that you watch are 24fps.
What's the problem again? OP missed the memo??

This message was modified by the poster at 10 26, 2013 04:28 PM

Tip Posting | My Postings (1134) | My Reviews (9) | View Source

NCIX Forum Messages

Please note that NCIX.com Forums is not a sales or product support board. For sales or specific product related questions, please send message to receive the fastest response.

Messages about BenQ W1070 Home Theatre DLP Projector 3D Ready 1080P 10000:1 2000 ANSI Lumens 2XHDMI 1.4A

Anyone get this for $699??? (HaRDcoRE- Nov 29, 13, 0 Replies) Read this message
Warning! Still only 24 FPS in 1080p! (jsimon- Oct 26, 13, 13 Replies) Read this message
Only a minijack for audio out?? (CivMan- May 18, 13, 5 Replies) Read this message
Liars (Rob_L- Mar 27, 13, 5 Replies) Read this message
Here's the REAL specs! 1080P 60hz=yes (Francois_P- Feb 21, 13, 1 Replies) Read this message
Bulb? (pcpalmer- Nov 29, 12, 1 Replies) Read this message

Post a New Message  |    All Messages       Browse NCIX Forums

Forum messages are not reviewed and may not contain accurate information about a product. Message contents are opinions from customers based on their own experience with a product. We do not recommend you make puchasing decisions based on Forum messages.

Call Queue
Now Serving
Closed
Avg. Response Time
Closed
Request Call Back
(Web Orders Only)

Recent Experts
1. Greg * NCIX.com (32938)
2. Saberon (14847)
3. Spork™ (13803)
4. Zer0 (10703)
5. JohnyBoy (4280)
All Time Experts
1. Mr. Friendly™ (51387)
2. The Wizard (39824)
3. death_hawk™ (35144)
4. Not An Expert (26343)
5. Lance W (25246)

Your Order Company Info Memberships Services Hotlinks
Order Status
RMAs (Merchandise returns)
F.A.Q.
Contact Us / Store Locator
Careers
Terms & Conditions
Privacy Policy
NCIX Rewards
Premier Partner Reseller Program
VIP Memberships
Advantage Membership
Affiliate Program
Super Shipping Saver Club
Express Coverage
Express RMA
Express Shipping Service
Express Exchange and Care Coverage
Gift Cards & Balance Checker
Advanced Store Price Match
NCIX Newsletters
NCIX Forums
Folding @ Home Team
The Banner Vault
International Sites:  Canada
Get the best discount computers online for online computer shopping and discount PC computer components as well as notebook computers, laptops and Canada custom computers for the best deals on computers.
NCIX.com provides Canada the best priced computers in the country for computer components and computer parts and computer accessories with the best online computer store in Canada for your personal and business computer needs.
At NCIX you can build your own computer online as well as search for the cheapest and best video cards, computer processors and CPUs, motherboards computer memory RAM, ssd and hard drives with the fastest shipping in Canada and the US.
So for discount computers online NCIX provides the cheapest digital cameras, printers, motherboards, flash memory, PC speakers and computer electronics with the best Canadian computer and Canadian online computer shopping website in the world.

NCIX.com is powered by Intel® Xeon® Quad Core Processors
Copyright© 2014 NCIX.com/Netlink Computer Inc. All rights reserved. S / Server ID:74 20140902065532  625 ms