Shop by Category | Brand | Order Tracking | Customer Care | Contact Us | Wishlist | My Account |
All
  • All Departments
  • Digital Download
Cart
My Drafts
General Topics
  Tech News
  What's New
  NCIX.com Q&A
  Important Notices
  General Discussions
  Suggestions/Feedback
  Site Bug Reports
  PC Builder Workshop
  NCIX Gaming Community
  NCIX Tech Tips
  Linus Tech Tips
  NCIX Esther
  Manufacturer Support
  CPU Discussions
  Video Cards
  Power Supplies
  Folding @ Home
  Moderated
  Off Topic
  Overclocking
  Product Requests
  PC Modding
Software Topics
  Operating Systems
  Linux
  Freeware/Shareware
  Open Source Projects
  Driver Updates
Broadband Topics
  Shaw Cable
  Telus ADSL
  Speed Test Reports
FAQs
  NCIX FAQs
  Hardware FAQs
  Overclocking FAQs
  Other FAQs
  Software FAQs
Top Categories
  Blu-Ray Drives
  Bundle Deals
  Camcorders
  CD & DVD Drives
  Computer Cases
  CPU Heatsinks
  DDR2 Desktop Memory
  DDR3 Desktop Memory
  Digital Cameras
  External Hard Drives
  Fans & Cooling
  Hard Drives
  HTPC Accessories
  Inkjet Printers
  Internet Routers
  Keyboards
  Laser Printers
  LCD Monitors
  Mice & Pointing Devices
  Mobile Phones
  Modding
  Motherboards
  Multi-Function Printers
  Netbooks
  Network Adapters
  Network Storage NAS
  Network Switches
  PC Games
  Power Supplies
  Processors (CPUs)
  PS3 Games
  Scanners
  SD Secure Digital
  Solid State Drives - SSD
  Speakers & Audio
  UPS/Power Management
  USB Flash Drives
  Video Cards
  Water Cooling
  Webcams
  Wireless Accessories
  XBox 360
Quick Links
Windows Device Finder
Ink & Toner Finder
Kingston Memory Finder
Corsair Memory Finder
Prize Picker
Rebate Archive
Send Us a Message
eBay Outlet
Contentname:quicklinks
We Accept

Shop Safely
HACKER SAFE certified sites prevent over 99.9% of hacker crime.
Click to verify BBB accreditation and to see a BBB report.
Contentname:acceptsafe
Testimonial Box
"Thank you, You have been very helpful and efficient. I appreciate your help with my computer and my exper..."
— swiens@publicstoragecanad
Read More
Write Review

LATEST TOPICS |  FORUMS » ACCESSORIES » DAM, JUST HAD MY COOLIT ECO FAIL...
Coolit Systems Eco CPU Water Cooling System AUTO-REGULATED & Maintenance Free LGA1366/1156/1155/AM3
This product can only be exchanged or replaced with the exact same item.
Coolit Systems Eco CPU Water Cooling System AUTO-REGULATED & Maintenance Free LGA1366/1156/1155/AM3
Actual product may not be exactly as shown.
Customer Photos (0)
CoolIT Systems
Reg. Price: $79.99  CAD
Availability:
This Product is Not Available

This item is no longer available. Notify me if this product is available again.
Service Plan:
NCIX Express Exchange
If your product is diagnosed as defective, we will replace it with a brand new one! Learn More
None, I do not want NCIX Express Exchange
NCIX.com 1 Year Component Express Exchange - Only $6.99
NCIX.com 2 Year Component Express Exchange - Only $17.99
NCIX.com 3 Year Component Express Exchange - Only $27.99
Avg. Rating: 109 Customer Reviews
Share this:
More Product Detail
E-Mail to a friend
More from CoolIT Systems
More CPU Heatsinks from CoolIT Systems
Similar products
Print this item
Notify me

SKU:  
   Shipping Weight:   2.4 lbs
   Part #: ECO-R120
Subject: Dam, just had my Coolit ECO fail
Share this:  
PREV   |   NEXT   1 2  
Author Date Posted Tools
Varroa Aug 27, 2012 05:25 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Woke up this morning to a dead PC. I can see the trail of liquid coming out of the cooler and down onto my video card and some of the cards below. I have had this cooler since it was released (2 years now?) and it always worked well. Now I have to get a new system as a result :(

(Yes, I am well aware of the risks of watercooling, the rest of my system is a custom loop I built myself).

Topic URL: http://forums.ncix.com/forums/topic.php?id=2545757

Tip Posting | My Postings (1033) | My Reviews (234) | My Profile | View Source
TheBigTroll Aug 27, 2012 05:45 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like (1) | Top | Bottom

cant you just dry and clean everything up before you reused it or did it short your system

Tip Posting | My Postings (416) | My Reviews (256) | View Source
Varroa Aug 27, 2012 05:52 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like (1) | Top | Bottom

Won't know until later tonight. I had my custom loop leak once and I was able to clean it up and everything still worked but this leak caused my system to shut off so there must have been a short at some point. If I can salvage the video card (ATI 6950 2GB) and my sound card then I will be happy. The rest of the system was due for an upgrade anyways (Socket 775 Q9550).

Blacknight3 Aug 27, 2012 05:57 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Could have shut off due to reahing the over heat threshold rather than a short.

Tip Posting | My Postings (3416) | My Reviews (51) | View Source
Richard_M Aug 27, 2012 10:07 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Same thing just happened to me. I have had mine since November, so less than ten months of light use, and it managed to soak my video card and coat a good portion of my motherboard. I bought the entire system in November so I am hoping the rest of the PC still works as none of the parts are in need of upgrade yet. I am checking with Coolit to see if they will cover any extra damage caused be the leak but I am not very optimistic about that.

Tip Posting | My Postings (1) | My Reviews (0) | View Source
Varroa Aug 27, 2012 10:22 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Coolit is also working with me now. I am sending them pics of the failure and they have sent me cleaning instructions to see if I can salvage anything that got wet. I will keep everybody updated on my progress with them.

Beowulf2b Aug 27, 2012 10:38 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Normally the GPU will die, but the rest should work after a few days of drying. Remove all power sources, Motherboard battery etc. Clean with Alcohol.

I spilled coffee on a laptop and was able to salvage it.

Tip Posting | My Postings (1570) | My Reviews (9) | View Source
UrbanHermit Aug 27, 2012 11:19 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Why risk a water spill when the cooler isn't that great in the first place. It looks like a 30 mm thick rad. Just get an air cooler for like $50 less that's just as good.

Tip Posting | My Postings (1055) | My Reviews (18) | View Source
Varroa Aug 28, 2012 11:49 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like (1) | Top | Bottom

Hey Guys, I just wanted to tell my story about the horrible customer service I got from Coolit. When my ECO broke I contacted Coolit and talked to them and they had me take pictures of my system for my RMA request. They asked for serial #s and my invoice from NCIX (I provided everything they asked). They then said that my ECO failed because I installed the radiator upside down (The same way the HWC review shows here CoolIT ECO A.L.C CPU Cooler Review http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/32109-coolit-eco-l-c-cpu-cooler-review-6.html). They also said that the there was dust on my rad and that could also cause it to fail (I clean it ever month).

When I bought the cooler I contact Coolit through there forums (which are now gone) and asked if it was ok to install the rad upside down and they said it was fine. So not only did they give me bad advice but they are declining my RMA based on this.

I won't be recommending their products to anybody anymore based on this.

This message was modified by the poster at 08 28, 2012 12:07 PM

Spudnik Aug 28, 2012 12:05 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like (1) | Top | Bottom

When my CoolIT Domino's rad exploded all over the inside of my case and on both my video cards, mobo, etc... I just let all of my components dry for about 48 hours next to a space heater and a fan. There are still some liquid stains still on my 5870s, but they run absolutely fine!

Alternatively, I would advise a distilled water bath of your components and then a 72 hour+ dry period.

CoolIT shipped me a Vantage free of charge. Works fine so far. No real complaints, but I have been more keen on shutting my computer off when not in use.

Tip Posting | My Postings (1432) | My Reviews (8) | My Profile | View Source
Hotshot Aug 28, 2012 12:06 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like (1) | Top | Bottom

wow... Because I also had a rep on these forums tell me its fine to install it upside down (my eco is also failing, the pump makes a loud noise and my CPU temps are very high)

Tip Posting | My Postings (5375) | My Reviews (97) | View Source
Zer0 Aug 28, 2012 12:09 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like (1) | Top | Bottom

Give them the link to that post and see what they say.

Tip Posting | My Postings (8028) | My Reviews (172) | View Source
Varroa Aug 28, 2012 12:16 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Coolit said to wash all my stuff in distilled water, wait 4 days for it to dry and then try it. I am not getting my hopes up since the computer was off when I found it so it either shut off due to a short OR it shut off due to overheat protection. I have a feeling it was due to a short since I tried turning it back on and it didn't turn on (not knowing that the cooler had leaked yet).

Dead Things Aug 28, 2012 01:09 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like (1) | Top | Bottom

Be optimistic Varroa, I've water shorted more than my fair share of hardware, and I can't think of a single time when it didn't spring back to life after drying out. About a month ago, for example, I had an AC condenser leak in my lab piss all over one of my servers. 24 hours later, I was up and running as though nothing ever happened.

Tip Posting | My Postings (8753) | My Reviews (61) | View Source
Master__Shake Aug 28, 2012 01:37 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like (1) | Top | Bottom

i had a custom loop leak water al over my mobo and gpus, i even turned on my computer (cause i didn't know it had leaked).

AFAIK it leaked all over the gpu side of the gpu and not the power side of the gpu so my mobo wouldn't allow my computer to post until it was remedied.

this is with pure water as well all i did cause i am rammy is blow dry off all my wet stuff and put it all back together and voila computer posts and gpu's were ok and all was well.

hope yours is well too.

edit: its funny, they said you had the rad upside down???

how are you supposed to mount this right side up??

This message was modified by the poster at 08 28, 2012 01:54 PM

Tip Posting | My Postings (4223) | My Reviews (17) | My Profile | View Source
Jason_H Aug 28, 2012 01:48 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like (1) | Top | Bottom

I'm not understanding how a sealed unit can even have and upside down radiator. It's a flow unit via a pump. It flows regardless of where the rad is mounted provided you haven't kinked a line.

Anyway, I've had a couple of these CoolIt units crack in the pump and dump coolant all over the system. I ended up doing a kind of internal recall in the office and ripped all the remaining ones out of service and putting them in the garbage.

Tip Posting | My Postings (3614) | My Reviews (24) | View Source
Babaghan Aug 28, 2012 02:16 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like (1) | Top | Bottom

It's not wise for Coolit to deny his RMA request. Varroa has access to a variety of deadly insects. They don't know who they're dealing with here

Tip Posting | My Postings (6947) | My Reviews (79) | View Source
bc_tileguy Aug 28, 2012 03:43 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

dam that is total bs ! installed the rad upside down ! LOL wtf ! Coolit sucks       :angry:

good thing i never have tried there unit's and after reading this never will

This message was modified by the poster at 08 28, 2012 03:59 PM

Tip Posting | My Postings (1731) | My Reviews (99) | My Profile | View Source
Coach_Z Aug 28, 2012 04:21 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

This is bad news! I just installed a coolit eco and now I am concerned.

Tip Posting | My Postings (4581) | My Reviews (18) | View Source
Varroa Aug 28, 2012 04:41 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like (1) | Top | Bottom

Well, some good news at least. I am testing each major component one by one and so far the ram and Video card seems to be working. I can boot into a Ubuntu live disk with the video card and the ram installed on my test bench. The video card was my biggest worry so I washed it in 99% alcohol and let it dry overnight and so far so good. Next I will test the processor and the expansion cards. I am going to buy a new mobo and CPU no matter what so I am hoping the video card works in windows.

Pawtucket Aug 28, 2012 05:01 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

And now any thoughts I had towards going for a water-kit have evaporated. I'll stick with a good air-cooler and high-end quiet fans for almost the same performance and much much less risk.

Thanks for sharing your stories Varroa. Really informative and useful!

Tip Posting | My Postings (6554) | My Reviews (38) | My Profile | View Source
Bryan_P Aug 28, 2012 08:11 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

I would take that crappy RMA experience with coolit up with NCIX cause that's a bunch of crap.

Tip Posting | My Postings (1053) | My Reviews (4) | View Source
AEO Aug 28, 2012 09:35 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

There's nothing in the liquid, which is typically ph7 distilled water and organic growth inhibitors, that can short out electronics in computers.
For that, you have to move up to hard water, sports drinks, tea, coffee, wine or soups.

And this is why I can never recommend closed loop water coolers. They are gimmicks that require more effort for no improvements.

Tip Posting | My Postings (7152) | My Reviews (45) | View Source
Hotshot Aug 29, 2012 01:18 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Here you go Varroa: http://forums.ncix.com/forums/?mode=showthread&forum=100&threadid=2178488

I asked "can this device be upside down or should I purchase one of the 5-10$ 3 pin extensive cable? "

CoolIT Systems reply:
"We've made the ECO flexible to several installations, including top mounted rad's and rotated CPU mounts. Performance impact is negligible so position in a way that best works for you. "

I can't RMA mine (past the 1 year warranty) but maybe that will help you out.

This message was modified by the poster at 08 29, 2012 01:34 AM

Varroa Aug 29, 2012 07:03 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

That doesn't say upside down, that says top mounted. Here is what coolit says to my complaint about their bad advice (oh, I leave my PC running 24/7):

Shawn,

I understand your comments. Your question about the preferred installation was prior to my coming on board with CoolIT Systems. Your question may have been misunderstood.

If you run your PC system 24/7, having the radiator installed upside down should not be an issue as the air bubble mixes with the coolant. The issue comes into play when you turn your PC system off when it is not in use., air rises to the top of the unit, then turning in on again.

I am merely pointing out that if you wish to use a liquid cooling product which uses a radiator, you should pay attention to this.(strictly for your information)

Thank you for your patience,

Andrew Wildgoose
Service and Support Manager

This message was modified by the poster at 08 29, 2012 07:20 AM

DJZ Aug 29, 2012 07:19 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

I guess I'll continue to not buy their products then.

Tip Posting | My Postings (6424) | My Reviews (42) | View Source
Blacknight3 Aug 29, 2012 07:22 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

So based on what their rep said shouldn't be an issue with an RMA as you ran it 24/7.

On a side note I may be starting to have an issue with my H80. Started to make some funny noises today.... like an HD running in constant seek. Going to haul the system out and check to see if it's the pump or maybe something else.

Tip Posting | My Postings (3416) | My Reviews (51) | View Source
Hotshot Aug 29, 2012 07:39 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

I asked "can this device be upside down", his reply was that it will "work in several installing" and "position in a way that best works for you". Nothing about not installing it a certain way.

Scott_S Sep 30, 2012 03:44 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

My ECO just failed last night, pump blew and leaked coolant all over my GPU. I've got my system back up and running but I think it has fried my GPU.

I just sent a note to Coolit so we'll see what kind of response I get.

It's funny that all of these units are failing around the same time. I've had mine since early 2010.

Tip Posting | My Postings (1) | My Reviews (0) | View Source
Pawtucket Sep 30, 2012 08:47 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Seems like the risk/reward is far too skewed towards the risk...especially when air coolers perform equal or better

Tip Posting | My Postings (6554) | My Reviews (38) | My Profile | View Source
PREV   |   NEXT   1 2  

NCIX Forum Messages

Please note that NCIX.com Forums is not a sales or product support board. For sales or specific product related questions, please send message to receive the fastest response.

Messages about Coolit Systems Eco CPU Water Cooling System AUTO-REGULATED & Maintenance Free LGA1366/1156/1155/AM3

Dam, just had my Coolit ECO fail (Varroa- Oct 01, 12, 34 Replies) Read this message
Why can I not add to cart? (Coach_Z- Aug 13, 12, 32 Replies) Read this message
LGA 2011 Compatibility? (Doctor_House- Apr 19, 12, 7 Replies) Read this message
Buyer beware - product leaked after 8 months (calgaryscout- Mar 10, 12, 4 Replies) Read this message
second defective unit in under 2 years, i'm d (Mike82- Jan 24, 12, 7 Replies) Read this message
New build: High idle temps in BIOS (Dark Elite- Jan 20, 12, 4 Replies) Read this message
is it installed right?? (Roger_B- Jan 05, 12, 3 Replies) Read this message
Defective Fan? (OilerNut- Dec 19, 11, 6 Replies) Read this message
Incompatible? (Trevor_W- Dec 18, 11, 6 Replies) Read this message
DO NOT BUY!, EXPLODED!!!! water everywhere (adam m- Nov 19, 11, 11 Replies) Read this message
fit on socket Fm1 motherboard ???? (lapointe_d- Oct 17, 11, 1 Replies) Read this message
Lian LI PC V354 (Keerit_T- Oct 13, 11, 1 Replies) Read this message
Keep stock fan, or replace? (Coluwyvurne- Oct 06, 11, 3 Replies) Read this message
i5 2500k Idle too Hot - faulty screw? (Greig_O- Sep 26, 11, 4 Replies) Read this message
i7 2600k gets very hot (hornytoad- Sep 12, 11, 20 Replies) Read this message

Post a New Message  |    All Messages       Browse NCIX Forums

Forum messages are not reviewed and may not contain accurate information about a product. Message contents are opinions from customers based on their own experience with a product. We do not recommend you make puchasing decisions based on Forum messages.

Contentname:Forums_Bottom
Call Queue
Now Serving
Closed
Avg. Response Time
Closed
Request Call Back
(Web Orders Only)

Connect:
Widgets Magazine
Contentname:NCIX_Weekly_Special_Side
Contentname:160x300_Tier
Recent Experts
1. Greg * NCIX.com (32601)
2. Saberon (14315)
3. Chicoman (13109)
4. AEO (7796)
5. Calypso (4829)
All Time Experts
1. Mr. Friendly™ (51387)
2. The Wizard (39824)
3. death_hawk™ (35144)
4. Not An Expert (26343)
5. Lance W (25246)

Your Order Company Info Memberships Services Hotlinks
Order Status
RMAs (Merchandise returns)
F.A.Q.
Contact Us / Store Locator
Careers
Terms & Conditions
Privacy Policy
NCIX Rewards
Premier Partner Reseller Program
VIP Memberships
Advantage Membership
Affiliate Program
Express Coverage
Express RMA
Express Shipping Service
Express Exchange and Care Coverage
Gift Cards & Balance Checker
NCIX Newsletters
NCIX Forums
Folding @ Home Team
The Banner Vault
International Sites:  Canada
Get the best discount computers online for online computer shopping and discount PC computer components as well as notebook computers, laptops and Canada custom computers for the best deals on computers.
NCIX.com provides Canada the best priced computers in the country for computer components and computer parts and computer accessories with the best online computer store in Canada for your personal and business computer needs.
At NCIX you can build your own computer online as well as search for the cheapest and best video cards, computer processors and CPUs, motherboards computer memory RAM, ssd and hard drives with the fastest shipping in Canada and the US.
So for discount computers online NCIX provides the cheapest digital cameras, printers, motherboards, flash memory, PC speakers and computer electronics with the best Canadian computer and Canadian online computer shopping website in the world.

NCIX.com is powered by Intel® Xeon® Quad Core Processors
Copyright© 2014 NCIX.com/Netlink Computer Inc. All rights reserved. S / Server ID:74 20140418115625  625 ms