View Full Version: Paypal help

B S the generous tipper
04/25/2008, 07:42 PM
1. Bought something off ebay for $10, have $13 on my account 2. Paid seller 3. Just noticed my payment wasnt being cleared, checked again, it's sending an E-check. WTF Why isnt paypal using the money i had in my account? This message was modified by the poster at 04 25, 2008 07:43 PM
Ben_J
04/25/2008, 08:15 PM
1. Incorrect balance? or 2. its PayPal, not the smartest company on earth.
death_hawkâ„¢
04/25/2008, 08:18 PM
Option 2.
B S the generous tipper
04/26/2008, 01:58 PM
So, a solution?
Jason_B
04/26/2008, 02:00 PM
i vote option 3 user incompetence! pick up the phone and call them they will tell you exactly what happened.
superspud9
04/26/2008, 02:04 PM
is that 10$ in the same currency after shipping charges? sometimes adding shipping charges can be quite a bit, otherwise paypal is kinda stupid.
Glenjiman
04/26/2008, 02:14 PM
If the purchase was international, it may have exceeded $13 after conversion. Also, it could also be due to the fact that you do not have a back-up funding source (paypal can, at their discretion revert to an echeck even if you have PayPal funds available - not sure of the reasoning and I work for PayPal) :)
secular
04/26/2008, 02:14 PM
When you buy something with paypal, you can select which payment method you want. Maybe you selected E-check? or Didn't select the present funds?
Sarahs
04/26/2008, 02:17 PM
How safe is it purchasing through Paypal from a bank account, not a credit card?
Glenjiman
04/26/2008, 02:22 PM
"When you buy something with paypal, you can select which payment method you want. Maybe you selected E-check? or Didn't select the present funds?" PayPal will always default to use the balance as long as it is enough to fund the transaction and it is not considered a "High Risk" transaction. Considering it was only $13 I doubt it was high risk unless it was an international purchase. Echeck is only a funding option when there is not enough balance. It will allow you to select from any funding source on your account (but will default to a bank account if there is no balance available). So the funding options are as follows: 1) PayPal balance if enough (unless PayPal considers it a high risk transaction at which point it will send using eCheck regardless) 2) Bank account - this is usually where the echecks come in. 3) Any other funding source (credit cards etc) Sometimes even if you do not have any Paypal balance and you fund it with a bank account, it may send it as an instant transfer if you have a good history on paypal (they basically front you the money until it clears from your bank). Credit card transactions are always instant.
Glenjiman
04/26/2008, 02:26 PM
"How safe is it purchasing through Paypal from a bank account, not a credit card?" I would strongly recommend funding the purchase with a c/c so if all else fails you can do a chargeback. Also, if you are buying on eBay, it will tell you in the listing how much coverage through PayPal you will have (either $200 or $2000 depending on the status of the seller). The section on the right of the listing has the coverage level - highlighted in green, you can't miss it. As far as using Paypal through other venues, it would depend on the vendor. The rule of thumb is: When in doubt, add a c/c to your PayPal account and use that as your funding source. Think of it as a fail-safe.
Sarahs
04/26/2008, 02:47 PM
Thanks Glenji. The reason i was asking is that i do have a CC but the max on it is only about half the amount i need to purchase a new computer with NCIX, i was thinking and hoping i could go with the full amount with the bank account only but very afraid to do so.
Glenjiman
04/26/2008, 02:49 PM
Sarahs: if that is the case, I doubt NCIX will take your money & run (like some sellers on Flea-bay). I would say you are safe going with the bank account, but I didn't realize NCIX takes paypal (am I wrong ?). Or do you mean through their eBay outlet ? NCIX on eBay has $2000 CDN in coverage so as long as you don't spend more than that you are good to go. This message was modified by the poster at 04 26, 2008 02:56 PM
B S the generous tipper
04/26/2008, 03:00 PM
I posted on ebay forums and someone mentioned its a glitch. Paypal draws money from your bank account if your balance its almost the same ammount as the item you're buying. I'd call paypal but long distance + long wait line = bad. Anyone know their support email?
Sarahs
04/26/2008, 03:05 PM
Glenjiman: Yes, from what i can see it seems that NCIX accepts payments through paypal and credit cards but i haven't been through the process yet so i can't say for sure, maybe someone from NCIX can clear this up? On the NCIX home page says "we accept Paypal" as well as CC... maybe i am mistaken. Still choosing last pieces for my build so i was looking ahead on payment possibilities. Sorry for the thread hijack
Glenjiman
04/26/2008, 03:12 PM
Not really a glitch. But PayPal is by default a US company and every transaction is converted into US funds to clear the US Federal Reserve and then converted back, so if you are close to the limit it may exceed it during the conversion. Email address for paypal = no direct email. They have a choose-your-own-adventure style form on the site Click the Contact Us link at the bottom of most pages and then "Contact Customer Service" in the Help by Email section. They do have a toll free number but it is only for US customers and then only for high end accounts (to the Victors go the Spoils I guess - I don't like it any more than you especially as I work the front-line for PayPal and have to deal with irate emails all day) Hehe, although most are quite funny in their idiocy. Oh, and I do remember seeing somewhere that NCIX accepts paypal, but I tried placing an online order and did not see any option for paypal. This message was modified by the poster at 04 26, 2008 03:16 PM
cabby
04/26/2008, 04:51 PM
Quote: (Glenjiman q Apr 26 2008, 03:12 PM)They do have a toll free number but it is only for US customers and then only for high end accounts
(888) 221-1161 is PayPal's toll free number and it does work in Canada. Feel free to use it. If you have sufficient funds in your bank account, pay NCIX by ECB (Electornic Bill Payment) via on line banking. Why add the extra layer of BS that PayPal brings to your transaction? This message was modified by the poster at 04 26, 2008 04:54 PM
Glenjiman
04/26/2008, 05:04 PM
888-221-1161 is only for Premier/Business accounts. If you only have a Personal account (as most individuals do) they may/will give you a hard time or refuse to assist you. But you might get a dufus (or someone like me that doesn't really care) that will help you anyway so you are welcome to try, just be forewarned. :)
Jonathan_T
04/26/2008, 05:10 PM
Well i can tell you that they do accept paypal on ncix...since all i bought from here is with paypal XD About the problem, it did happened to me once...and like someone said before, i think its because it had to convert the cash to another currency and then you didnt have enough left to pay.
Xilikon
04/26/2008, 06:20 PM
Actually, if the item you are paying is priced in USD dollars and your balance is in CDN dollars, it will think you don't have any balace in USD currency so it will pick from your bank account or CC. To force PP to pick the balance, you need to convert yourself.